• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - Complete Control

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bahamut623

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 11:43 am Reply with quote
I LOVED Sin & Punishment, so the news of a sequel got me very excited. I'm also a Klonoa fan, so Wii has quite a few things to make me happy in the near future.

Also...that Dragonball game actually looks pretty good. Like a Dragonball version of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass.
Jadress

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 12:09 pm Reply with quote
My god. Can I just tell you that this is my favorite video game column or source of game news in general? I do regularly peruse blog sites like Joystiq and read Penny Arcade's blog, but honestly, what you are writing about here- THIS is the shit I actually care about. I usually get tired of sifting through 4 pages of "Beefy-No-Neck FPS 5" news to find a tiny snippet of info about something like Muramasa. So thank you for writing this. You fill a gamey void in my heart. :3

That said, this was a particularly exciting column. The original Klonoa and Odin Sphere are both on my top ten list of favorite games, so this news is awesome!! I've especially been waiting to hear more about Muramasa for months (and I could never remember the full Japanese name to look it up). Dokapon looks like it could be cute and interesting, though possibly friendship-ending. Anime hyper Also, I'm feeling like I have some renewed hope for third party titles on the Wii- some interesting stuff coming out next year. Hopefully the games are actually GOOD.

Eternal Filena sounds pretty interesting- I'm more interesting in reading a book than playing an old RPG though.. (I can never finish RPGs!).

On an aside note, was any other fan of the 1st Klonoa really disappointed when the sequel games did not continue the tragic story of the first game and made everything much more.. saccharine and cutesy? The PS2 sequel was still a fantastic game, but.. the supporting characters were pretty lame.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
belvadeer

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 1:14 pm Reply with quote
Lol at the screenshot. Seriously it's Toriyama we're talking about, I bet he even intended it that way Anime hyper

Maybe Toriyama should make a series about dragons being the heroes or something (though I did find a long forgotten semi dragon-centered anime that changed my mind about his storytelling; I guess he isn't all about long boring fight arcs after all).

I have yet to complete Odin Sphere (almost there though) and yet I see Vanillaware is set to outdo themselves yet again. Makes me wish I'd gotten to play Princess Crown.

Dang, another obscure anime turned RPG I never even researched. And it seems researching it now would be hard to do =/

Last edited by belvadeer on Sun Dec 18, 2011 7:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Top Gun

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 2:05 pm Reply with quote
Not for the last time, I know nothing and care less about most of the titles that this column discusses, but Todd's writing style keeps me in stitches regardless. Those alt text get me every time. "Hey there! You can get high by eating me!" Laughing
zawa113

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 3:51 pm Reply with quote
Jadress wrote:

On an aside note, was any other fan of the 1st Klonoa really disappointed when the sequel games did not continue the tragic story of the first game and made everything much more.. saccharine and cutesy? The PS2 sequel was still a fantastic game, but.. the supporting characters were pretty lame.

Actually, I got into console gaming in the PS2 era, and I actually played Klonoa 2 first. Actually, I went in the order: Klonoa 2: Lunatea's Veil, Klonoa 1 GBA, Klonoa :Door to Phantomile, Klonoa 2 Dream Champ Tournament.
I sorta had the big thing about the first game spoiled, but I still had loads of fun with it. I do prefer Klonoa 2 in terms of gameplay and music, and even story-wise on the basis that it was the first one I played. If they use Klonoa 2's gameplay system with Klonoa 1's levels (I liked the branched path sorta thing that K2 lacked) and story, and assuming they don't mess it up some other way and it gets transferred over to America, we're looking at one of the best 3rd party games on the Wii. If I hadn't already known about Klonoa from the 2nd game, it would've been a much bigger shock I'll grant you that.
To everyone who missed Klonoa: Door to Phantomile the first time around: Play Klonoa: Door to Phantomile. I personally think it'll get released state-side, it might do better on the Wii than it did on the PS1.
Son-kun

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 1:46 am Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:
Maybe Toriyama should make a series about dragons being the heroes or something (though I did find a long forgotten semi dragon-centered anime that changed my mind about his storytelling; I guess he isn't all about long boring fight arcs after all).

Yes, that would be Kosuke and Rikimari-sama. It was an anime for the Jump Tour and his exhibition on his work a long while back. There's a high quality fansub for it. I don't know how the moderators would feel about it, but I doubt it's something that'll ever make it to the states considering how old it is. You can also stream it here. The audio quality is abit messy though.

I'm glad Nintendo's giving a better selection of games for next year. I hardly ever play the Wii since Mario Galaxy. Dragon Ball DS looks nice, but it's so close to the Chrono Trigger DS port's release so I might hold off on it and vice-versa
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 4:46 am Reply with quote
Hardcore? You make us sound like whining children.

Nintendo stated that the main video game market was not what they where aiming for, and you expect news like that to be taken lightly?

If you found this post to be rude, I am sorry, I just felt like the article was insulting me.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 9:04 am Reply with quote
Oh forgot to add that the new 'Punch Out' game looks really nice. While it is nice to see some old titles getting new life, I want to see more fun and original ideas for the 'Wii' console. Because there are plenty out there that have a long list of "what they would like to see" done.
Fronzel

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 9:08 am Reply with quote
Another Trace Memory?

That's good...I guess. I really liked the first one...until the end when the plot was explained and it was dumb as hell.
skwid

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 1:37 pm Reply with quote
I don't even own a Wii and I will buy Klonoa if it should find its way to England.
Van_Helsing

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 3:31 pm Reply with quote
You're awesome for posting a review about Eien no Filena ! I've been searching for informations about this series and the mysterious anime for a long time !
_Emi_

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 12:45 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
There's also the subtext of Filena and Lila's relationship. It seldom progresses beyond a joke or two about Lila being Filena's “wife,” but the mere suggestion of dignified lesbians in an old-school RPG scores novelty points, I suppose.

Of course if anyone is more interested then suggestive lesbian subtext in their old school games, their is always Ultima VII: Serpent Isle. One NPC will have sex with you irregardless of sex. Wink Her dialogue is slightly different if you're a woman. She mentions how she finds herself strangely attracted to you and a female PC's responses do include a more emphatic no. Speaking of which, why not do an extra lives segment on Ultima? It's not Japanese, but they did release three manga based on the games, and you let Sam & Max through.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2