• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Nodame Cantabile: Paris (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steve Berry

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 9:26 am Reply with quote
Has anyone seen both the live action version of Paris and is watching the new version?? I watched the LA version last winter, and... it didn't have the same magic as the first season. Rushed, lacked a through line in the plot, repeated musical performances from the first season, etc. Not bad, just not magic.

But in general, for the 1st season, I much preferred the LA version to the anime. The anime was good fun, but there was a kind of emotional resonance and power to the performances in the LA version that really really worked for me. Still, the anime was funnier, and the slapstick worked better.

Moslty, I was just looking for some opinions/ comparisons of the the two versions-- anime and LA-- as well as the two seasons so far. Thinking about maybe picking up the show.
abynormal

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 9:57 am Reply with quote
I also enjoyed the drama just a little more than the anime. I thought the slapstick was especially well done and was impressed with how well they translated the manga's physical comedy into a live action production. What really did it for me were the actors. They really filled out the parts to a T. Chiaki was awesome and the actress playing Nodame was frickin' adorable. Also, seeing the orchestras and conductors actually playing and conducting added a lot of energy to the concerts that was missing from the anime.

The only things I really missed from the anime were Nodame and Chiaki's 5 am waltz after they'd been out drinking with the S-oke and Nodame's story of the snakes and the mongoose. Two of my favorite moments from the series.

As I said before, I really like that they're animating the whole orchestra and the conductor this season. The tradeoff is that Pari-hen will only be eleven episodes, but it looks that much better since they have extra money to lavish on the animation.
kizzmequik_74

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 12:02 am Reply with quote
I haven't seen the Paris-hen live action, but I'd have to agree that on the whole, the drama's first season was superior to the anime... Mainly because you could actually see what's going on in the musical performances, without snickering at the (usually) low animation budget used.

But then, I generally prefer the anime, because I'm an Ayako Kawasumi fanboy. Laughing
rainbowcourage

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 4:22 pm Reply with quote
episode 3

I loved this episode. I thought it set up some nice conflict for Nodame, and I can't wait to see her really push herself. Plus she finally seems to have a normal teacher. I am constantly reminded of why I left the world of classical music--the stakes are so high. You can make something gorgeous, but the pressure is incredibly high.

And thank you Stresemann for finally talking some sense at Chiaki. Chiaki's spoiler[moment of wanting to buy Nodame a necklace was very cute.]

Funniest moment would have to be Nodame's speech and the accompanying story about spoiler[her husband cheating on her.] That was excellent.
frentymon
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 6:56 pm Reply with quote
Episode 3

Even though Nodame's a musical genius who has super absolute pitch and can play something back after hearing it once, her rendition of Transcendental Etude was er...Auclair said it perfectly, absolutely terrible. I've never heard Mazeppa played so choppy and disjointedly. I feel sorry for the real life musician who had to play it that way...

Looks like Nodame's got a lot of work ahead of her. Chiaki needs to face the facts too. Every kanojo ja nai becomes exponentially less believable.

Overall, good episode, and things are finally kicking up into gear. But my god, that was an awful Mazeppa...awful...and hopefully Chiaki won't lose his way and succumb to the charm of the Chinese girl genius he's accompanying.
rainbowcourage

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 8:58 pm Reply with quote
episode 4

YES! spoiler[ a kiss, a hug, a welcome sign, hand-holding...I'm so happy right now. Anime smile Razz I'm also relieved to watch a blooming romance without tons of melodrama or love triangles.]

The music was excellent in this episode, I particularly enjoyed Beauty and the Beast. Chiaki's post-jerk transformation is really quite astounding compared with season 1, and while Nodame loves him dearly she's not as clingy as she once was. She's comfortable letting Chiaki know when she needs some space.

I can't wait for episode 5
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 10:02 pm Reply with quote
rainbowcourage wrote:
episode 4

YES! spoiler[ a kiss, a hug, a welcome sign, hand-holding...I'm so happy right now. Anime smile Razz I'm also relieved to watch a blooming romance without tons of melodrama or love triangles.]

The music was excellent in this episode, I particularly enjoyed Beauty and the Beast. Chiaki's post-jerk transformation is really quite astounding compared with season 1, and while Nodame loves him dearly she's not as clingy as she once was. She's comfortable letting Chiaki know when she needs some space.

Ever notice spoiler[during the hug and hand holding that Nodame was in a daze when Chiaki did those things to her? Laughing ]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
rainbowcourage

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 11:15 pm Reply with quote
Ggultra2764 wrote:
rainbowcourage wrote:
episode 4
and while Nodame loves him dearly she's not as clingy as she once was. She's comfortable letting Chiaki know when she needs some space.

Ever notice spoiler[during the hug and hand holding that Nodame was in a daze when Chiaki did those things to her? Laughing ]

of course! It's an ingrained part of her personality--but I think that in instances where it really mattered, such as when they were discussing her musical progress in his room, or when they were in the museum and Nodame's eyes were opened to another type of art, Nodame let Chiaki know that she is very much her own person and isn't dependent on him.
xia83

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 7:51 am Reply with quote
I've only seen the first episode so far, but of course I love it. Nodame and Chiaki back on my screen is always a very good thing.
Olliff

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 2:04 pm Reply with quote
rainbowcourage wrote:
episode 4

I can't wait for episode 5

Loved this last episode. Finally, some spoiler[ romantic progression. I am bit surprised by how Nodame reacted to the kiss though. ]

The music also impresses as always. The animation in these scenes also seems to be much better than last season as well. I am glad that the characters also seem to be slowly maturely each in their own way. Nodame's dazed look when spoiler[ during the hand hold and hug with Chiaki was also priceless. ] I am fine with Nodame maturing, but it would be sad if too many of her quirks went away. However, I don't think that would ever happen.
Aikoh

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 8:48 pm Reply with quote
I thought the music scenes in this episode were interesting. Even though am rooting for Chiaki as a conductor trying to make his name in Europe, I think that because I myself favor the piano as a musician despite being both a violinst and a pianist, I am more interested in seeing how Nodame's piano progresses. I was happy to hear Nodame's Moja Moja again, though I admit that I was surprised that Auclair was actually taking it seriously. And because Nodame is such an emotionally-driven musician, it was interesting to see what she pictured when she plays, too.

I enjoyed the scene at the Louvre where Nodame suggests that Chiaki should have a statue like the Statue of David when he becomes famous. Laughing I am overally incredibly excited about the amount of character development Chiaki has gone through since the first season, and it's wonderful to see him loosening up so much more, but continuing to be the same old Chiaki at the same time.
rainbowcourage

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 9:18 pm Reply with quote
epic, epic, EPIC is the only way to describe episode 5. I haven't laughed that hard in a long time.

spoiler[Nodame's "when jesus-sama is born, remember the thing we practiced" and then the actual "thing..."

even better was the fight. I couldn't believe the kick, and the woman in the crowd's comment of "wow, amazing kick" set me off...and then Chiaki kicked her right back, and the whole thing ended with a Dragonball-Z-esque body slam.]

I'm happy to report that so far season 2 has only improved upon season 1.
Aikoh

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 11:49 pm Reply with quote
This episode made me even happier than the last episode!

The culture clashes in this episode were hilarious. I knew we were in for some interesting scenes when the Christmas season was coming around, but I wasn't expecting anything like what happened in the Christmas play. I thought that was so sweet when all the children were exclaiming about how much they loved Nodame, I love how good she is with children!

And, yes, that last scene was what really made this week's episode. spoiler[While I was happy to see that Chiaki was becoming more and more noticeably jealous of Nodame, I was also afraid that Nodame was going to take the typical shōjo story route and have her whine and moan about Chiaki "breaking up" with her, and that this would last for another episode or two of her being depressed. I was pleasantly surprised with the lover's spat and] I'm so glad that we are getting to see a much stronger, independent side of Nodame that wasn't made very obvious in the first season. But I also think Chiaki made a good point when he questioned, "Why am I the one who has to change?" Both of the characters have indeed developed significantly since the first season, but it does seem like Chiaki (and a lot of other people, for that matter) has always had to conform to Nodame. The last time I remember Nodame having to do this was when she entered her first serious piano competition in the first season when she realized the judges weren't going to just "put up with" her playing like everyone else has been doing so far, even though she's very talented. But her stubbornness is what makes her Nodame, and she's still one of my all-time favorite anime characters regardless!
rainbowcourage

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 5:33 pm Reply with quote
Episode 6
not as good as last episode, but this remains my most-anticipated series of the season. Poor Chiaki, look at the mess that got dumped in his lap. spoiler[and back off Yui, we don't have time for a love triangle in only 12 episodes!]. I'm still missing Nodame's piano-playing at its best, but I'm sure a competition's on the horizon somewhere. Nodame and Chiaki continue to be ridiculous and funny, especially spoiler[Nodame meeting Yui with Chiaki and saying "I'm his wife" and Chiaki responding totally matter-of-factly "ignore her, she's delusional at times"]

I'm surprised there aren't that many people watching this, though. I mean, I know Nodame was never exactly mainstream per say, but it had a good following and the second season is just as good as, if not better than, the first.
abynormal

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 6:41 pm Reply with quote
This episode wasn't as good as the last one, but I think of it as more of a transition into the next story arc. spoiler[It seems Chiaki has yet another orchestra of misfits on his hands, and this time there's a major age gap to deal with!]

Rui is persistent. I'll give her that. *joins Nodame in a dark, brooding corner*
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4