• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2008-10-10]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GhstDreamer

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 12:15 am Reply with quote
I'm an older anime fan and there are quite a number of anime series I've rewatched a lot of times. Almost all of them are purely rewatched for being fun and lighthearted - like Azumanga Daioh, Captain Tylor, Yu Yu Hakusho, Trigun, Saiyuki, Rumiko Takahashi Anthology, and Ghost Stories. Sometimes, it's nice to watch something without having to analyze and think through it (Texhnolyze though I absolutely loved it and have the series) or if it's very depressing.

Today my brother and I just watched the first several episodes of Trigun that Wolfwood was in. Very Happy
Big Hed

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 12:49 am Reply with quote
I have certainly watched a few of my favorite titles in my time as a fan -- in different languages, no less -- but that's grown harder to do as time goes on. I'm watching too many new shows per season, plus DVD backlog, never mind university, manga, and whatever else I feel like doing at a given moment.

Ironically, my main problem is that I have to watch every new episode of a series twice -- once by myself, and then again with my roommate. I always want my initial viewing to be alone, and my roommate prefers watching anime with friends.
Sethimothy

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 1:32 am Reply with quote
I think I'm gonna send an e-mail answering this week's question. I hope it's not too late. I can think of a few series that I have watched more than once, but none have I watched more often, and continued to gain more from, than Kino's Journey. There's something very real, to me, about the people Kino meets on her adventures, and it somehow manages to be no more deep than I make it while also having so much to work with should I choose to think about the lessons I might see in it.
Hunter Sopko

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 9:08 am Reply with quote
Hmm... stuff I've rewatched. I've actually rewatched most the the series I have on DVD more than once, so I'll stick to series I've seen more than twice.

Other than the obvious FLCL, which I have seen nearing on fifty times (I've honestly lost track), Evangelion's gotten more than a few. Iria: Zerium the Animation was my first anime and still a perennial favorite. Nadesico is another old favorite. GTO, the El Hazard OVA, Dai-Guard and Crest/Banner of the Stars I just enjoy watching so I pop them in every once in a while. Record of Lodoss Wars OVA makes it on the list due to the amount of times I've showed it to friends.

TV's also contributed. I watched Cowboy Bebop whenever it was on AS. Outlaw Star and Gundam Wing are also on the list due to just catching them whenever they were on TV in the old days. Haven't seen either of them in years.

The only fansubs I've ever rewatched more than twice is Gurren Lagann. For obvious reasons. Obviously.

There are still shows I need to rewatch though. Utena being at the top of the list. Maybe I'm wierd, but I've had the oddest impulse to rewatch Rune Soldier Louie lately. Reaaally need to see Beck again too.
kitsunelady

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 4:40 pm Reply with quote
Hmm. I think the only series I've watched more than *twice* is Samurai Champloo (and I'm currently contemplating watching it again). The rest I've only watched two times at most (so far).

I love the answer to the first question. You always say it so eloquently, Zac. <3 *adores*
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 5:11 pm Reply with quote
sabriyahm wrote:

Zac I will love you forever for the Artemis shout out which is a series I like just as much as Harry Potter.

Can't say i'd love Zac forever but I would like to see more people talk about Artemis. And my all time favorite book series Pendragon. Which I love to death.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
sabriyahm

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 5:24 pm Reply with quote
britannicamoore wrote:
sabriyahm wrote:

Zac I will love you forever for the Artemis shout out which is a series I like just as much as Harry Potter.

Can't say i'd love Zac forever but I would like to see more people talk about Artemis. And my all time favorite book series Pendragon. Which I love to death.

Slight hyperbole. Let's say pleased with for a long time instead.

As someone else mentions Netflix while great really does decrease the incentive to rewatch a show. I hate to waste spots in my Queue for something I've already seen and there are new shows coming out all the time. I myself hardly watch any fansubs but for those who do sheer volume must make rewatching daunting. How do you all find the time? I don't think this is a younger older fans issue though because I am definately on the older fan spectrum. To me it's a free time issue since most anime series are far more hours to watch then say a regular old movie. Movies I rewatch much more often
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 5:28 pm Reply with quote
I sent in a reply to answerman on THIS question, definitely. Didn't sign my name (oops), but my e-mail will probably give me away. I've seen FMA so many times I can recite the entire show, line for line. Tragic...

Beyond that, though, I ALWAYS try to rewatch my personal favorites at least once. I mean, anything I consider good enough to wow me, I need to honor with a rewatch to appreciate it better, right?

If I DON'T rewatch something at least once, it probably means it didn't do much for me, and at best is "above average."
AirCooledMan_2006

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 8:56 pm Reply with quote
sabriyahm wrote:
britannicamoore wrote:
sabriyahm wrote:

Slight hyperbole. Let's say pleased with for a long time instead.

As someone else mentions Netflix while great really does decrease the incentive to rewatch a show. I hate to waste spots in my Queue for something I've already seen and there are new shows coming out all the time. I myself hardly watch any fansubs but for those who do sheer volume must make rewatching daunting. How do you all find the time? I don't think this is a younger older fans issue though because I am definately on the older fan spectrum. To me it's a free time issue since most anime series are far more hours to watch then say a regular old movie. Movies I rewatch much more often

I'm within the older fan spectrum myself, too (Started with Sailor Moon back in the mid-'90s). Even with a job, I still find the time to watch and rewatch anime. Most of what I rewatch is stuff I've got on DVD, but there's also stuff I have downloaded or watch on streaming sites that I rewatch now and then, even though I can often end up watching up to 22 different shows all at once.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
moonfall

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 6:27 am Reply with quote
My proudest moment was when I got a job marketing for an anime convention. I feel very lucky to be in college and still have a job I enjoy, even if it's not something I get to do every day (or even every week.)

The re-watching comment makes me want to go through the whole Utena series again...and the movie.

Also, the video was totally adorable. I had a guinea pig, and I really miss the cute purring and squeaking noises.
sena_h_dei

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 9:59 am Reply with quote
Oh darn. I forgot about this week's answerfan question. I had a proud moment just recently too! It involves my Dad. He wasn't terribly supportive of my love of anime when I got into it over 10 years ago, but I was a teen/adult, so he let me enjoy it. Eventually I got him to watch Spirited Away, and Howl's Moving Castle. They're two of his favourite movies now. This isn't the proud moment, however. My proud moment came about a month ago when he was down visiting for a few days. We got talking about tv shows, just shows in general, nothing specific, when he told me he'd started following Fullmetal Alchemist. This was my proud otaku moment. I'd gotten my DAD into anime enough that he was willing to watch it on his own, and really enjoy it! That made my whole week. I love you Dad!
Servant of the Path

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 5:37 pm Reply with quote
I actually watch every episode of each series twice. One hour of each series at a time once a week. Often when I see an episode for the second time it gives me the opportunity to see that episode from a different perspective. Thus, sometimes watching it for the second time gives me a new perspective on the characters, plot and history of the story up to that point and sometimes it can radically shift my perspective of a series. It's also easier for me to retain smaller details and incorporate them into the larger story when I watch each episode twice. Watching an hour or so per week (on average) and spreading out the episodes also gives me time to reflect on what's been covered. Obviously, this is more important in some series than it is in others. It isn't so much a factor when watching a Naruto filler episode vs. an episode of Code Geass, for example.
Ari-chan

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 8:46 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Anime isn't just another animated media, like here in America were you get lame cartoons nowdays (I mention Nick 90´s toons like "Hey Anorld" and so on).

Excuse me as I go track this guy down and beat his ass for ever suggesting that "Hey Arnold" was lame.

Anime, being short for animation, is indeed "another animated media." Sure it has many great, ground-breaking, and overall more enjoyable shows. But that doesn't mean it's completely special and above all other media. Cartoons have just as many great, ground-breaking, and overall enjoyable shows as anime. Don't think anime is devoide of crap. We may have stuff like Squirrel Boy and Johnny Test, but anime has That Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles OVA and M.D. Geist.

Anyway I used to watch anime I liked all the time back when I was a younger fan. I would always being watching the reruns of the shows like outlaw star and Tenchi on Toonami. While always rewinding my VHS tapes to watch recorded Sailor Moon episodes and Rurouni Kenshin all over again. I cant even count how many times. Lately though I've been watching so many new show at one time, and have been so busy with Family, work, and college, that I don't have time to just go back.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5