• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Michiko and Hatchin (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rainbowcourage

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 5:29 pm Reply with quote
episode 19

Oh wow. I don't care about Satoshi, Atsuko stole the show this episode. spoiler[I felt so bad for her; she's been trying to earn Michiko's respect all these years, and damn it I think she has. She's rescued Michiko more than once, and she's just as tough as Michiko is; Michiko is her only weak spot. I think Atsuko is a really good indication that Michiko can be a selfish bitch. I felt so awful for her, all Michiko could say was, "Atsuko," and then she left to go after Hatchin.
]

Also, since when has this been 22 episodes? Wasn't it originally supposed to be 21?
aizome

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 5:21 pm Reply with quote
According to this site, the final episode airs/aired today:
anime#9602

ETA: Episode 22/finale: spoiler[Wow. What an unexpected and completely AWESOME ending! I'm so glad it ended positively. A+++++++ series!]
RedSwirl

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 4:25 pm Reply with quote
After finally getting around to watching 19 and 20, this series seems to be shaping up to what could be a great ending, but how have people already seen 21 and 22? Are there just RAWs out now?
aizome

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 1:33 am Reply with quote
Oops. Yeah I was talking about the raws before, but subs for all are out now. Very Happy

Without really spoiling though... spoiler[After seeing the last two episodes even just raw, it was a great ending. Dialogue wasn't needed if you were (like me) just worried who would end up how. With subs it should be magnificent.]

Now someone needs to get this licensed! I want the DVDs. Anime smile
rainbowcourage

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:42 pm Reply with quote
I'm exhausted and not up for in-depth analysis, but I will say that episodes 21&22 were nicely done.

spoiler[Man, Hiroshi was an asshole. All that mysticism and it turned out that, in the end, Michiko just needed some closure from the bad boy who steals hearts and then runs away.

Loved Hana's baby, sooo adorable and I wasn't expecting that.
Great series, great ending.]
GrinfilledCelt

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 10:04 pm Reply with quote
Indeed. I'm very happy with the ending too. They could have ended it after spoiler[the scene on the plane] but that would have left me unsatisfied. Continuing it spoiler[ten years later when Hatchin had a life and child of her own, when Mitchiko was released from prison] was a stroke of genius and ended the story on spoiler[an upbeat note]. I also like that, although they spoiler[wrapped it up neatly, they left it open for another story should they ever feel moved to tell one.]
spooksmagee

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 11:36 pm Reply with quote
I too was satisfied with the ending, it just seemed very...relaxed, which fit perfectly with the rest of the show. At first I thought spoiler[they might go for a "happy ever after" with Hiroshi, Hatchin and Michiko being one big happy family, so I was surprised when Michiko turned herself in. Hiroshi's character was kind of a let down for me though; They spend the whole series getting to the damn guy and then he has like 5 minutes of screen time. And then the deadbeat dicthes Hatchin for some other woman! Oh well. ]

The epilogue was perfect though, just I disliked that spoiler[Hatchin cut her hair shorter, I liked her little fro thing she had going. Smile]

Regardless, great series overall. This will be hard to resist buying should I see it at my local Best Buy in the coming months... Wink
Ausdoerrt

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:01 pm Reply with quote
The ending went somewhat along the lines of what I was expecting/anticipating. Although, with all honesty, I felt very sorry for Satoshi. Don't tell me none of you did.

Overall, great series. This kind of quality stuff is pretty rare, only comes up every so often.
Alestal

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 9:03 pm Reply with quote
This is definatly one of the most amazing, awesome, and beautiful series of anime I've ever seen. I will really really miss it.

I found myself laughing and crying when spoiler[hana discovered that the packages were a map to her house] it was absolutly a great ending to what is definatly one of my favorite series. You get so many positive things from a series like this, I'm completly blown away by it.

Also hana's spoiler[hair, I liked it, I think that she'd look even more manly if she kept it at her usual length or grew it out. I think she turned into a beautiful person and had a great kid, too bad the fathers a bum as well, it kinda reminds me of the saying that girls marry guys who are like thier fathers, oh well. Michiko will help her raise the child, what really makes me sad is the thought of someone like Michiko getting older... Sad ]

Anyone draw any comparisons to Samurai Champloo? spoiler[ At the end the sunflower samurai was a bum as well, I guess what people really search for in these situations is closure, so they dont have to wonder if they'd be better off with thier fathers..]

I'm so completely satified and I strongly hope that the day this series makes it to america is soon. Very Happy
rainbowcourage

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 10:58 pm Reply with quote
Ausdoerrt wrote:

Although, with all honesty, I felt very sorry for Satoshi. Don't tell me none of you did.

I did at first...then I remembered all the horrible crap he did and to plenty of innocent people, how he had no morals and betrayed his best friend simply for trying to leave the mob business...so I concluded that at the end he was still far from redeeming himself.

Alestal wrote:
Anyone draw any comparisons to Samurai Champloo? spoiler[ At the end the sunflower samurai was a bum as well, I guess what people really search for in these situations is closure, so they don't have to wonder if they'd be better off with thier fathers.]

May Manglobe is trying to tell us all that fathers are overrated Laughing

If you think about it, though, M&H is very unusual in that the two main characters are female, and the story centers around them. It's a very empowering, feminist environment-not something you see too often, even in Samurai Champloo. I'm sufficiently impressed.
Ausdoerrt

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 12:39 pm Reply with quote
rainbowcourage wrote:

I did at first...then I remembered all the horrible crap he did and to plenty of innocent people, how he had no morals and betrayed his best friend simply for trying to leave the mob business...so I concluded that at the end he was still far from redeeming himself.

Morals are overrated Wink

As for Samurai Champloo comparison, all I can say is that I liked Champloo much less, because it was overly stylized, while in M&H the style neatly fit the environment the story is set in.
RedSwirl

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 7:13 pm Reply with quote
Great series, I'm just glad they didn't end it with "bang." Really hope this get's licensed because I think that the setting could lend itself to a really great dub.
Alestal

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 9:37 pm Reply with quote
I think we can all agree on that the fact that it had one of the most beautiful and original settings of all time?

Makes me want to go to brazil.
Jedi General

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 12:51 am Reply with quote
I think I enjoyed the epilogue in episode 22 more than just about the entire series that proceeded it. To be completely honest, I found myself watching Michiko to Hatchin only to see more of Michiko's vast, spicy wardrobe and more of the well-researched setting. Having lost all interest in the story probably about halfway through, I'm surprised that I actually stuck with the show until the not-so-bitter end.

It's really a shame that the series as a whole is mediocre. The writing just wasn't up to par with the lovingly detailed setting, good production values, and Sayo Yamamoto's talent as a director. If only more of the 22 episodes were as great as episode 7, which was one of the few standouts.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ausdoerrt

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 12:08 pm Reply with quote
^ Not every series is destined to be a masterpiece. If anything, M&H was above average the usual crappy stuff, so I wouldn't quite call it "mediocre". The effort put in the setting alone disqualifies it from being such.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8