• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Bubblegum Crisis Tokyo 2040 DVD

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TnKtRk

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 1:58 pm Reply with quote
pachy_boy wrote:
The American Average wrote:
I wish Gunsmith Cats would have gotten the same love as Bubblegum Crisis. Crying or Very sad

ADV did release a 3-episode OVA back in the day, a prequel to the manga, if that's what you mean.

I think he means, why didn't Gunsmith Cats get a tv series like Bubblegum Crisis did.
Which would have been awesome!

I think it's time BC got a new series. Think K-ON! meets Blade Runner.
Yeah!!!
bravetailor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 2:55 pm Reply with quote
HeeroTX wrote:
I think this one really comes down to 2 things:
1. Era
2. Music

If you're from the 80s, you'll PROBABLY like the original better, bother because it's what you saw first and (kinda like KOR) is just Soooo 80s. OTOH, if you're younger and didn't really "live" the 80s, you'll probably prefer the new version. Regarding the music, I think if you LIKE 80s pop/rock kinda fusion then you'll love the music of the OVAs, if you prefer 90s grunge rock, then the TV series will be your speed. I HATE most 90s rock, so I was immediately turned off of the tv series.

All that said, the review makes this sound interesting, so I may give the tv series another shot based on the review.
(altho, for the record, on top of everything I noted above, I agree that the Sonoda designs were great and above all others I HATED Priss' redesign)

I think in terms of series planning and story structure, 2040 is probably a better show. The series builds a sort of tension as it evolves that the OAVs' quite frankly very repetitive episodic structure lacks.

However, the visual designs, direction and action choreography in original BG are definitely superior IMO.

Music is a toss up of personal taste.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 5:08 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
An OVA follow-up to the original created in between the two, Bubblegum Crash, is almost universally reviled by fans.

Save for the diminished production values, the unfortunate first episode and the replacement of Priss' voice actress, Crash is still very much in the spirit of Crisis. Viewers who are forgiving of its imperfections will be rewarded with something its predecessor lacked: a definitive ending.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 5:10 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Priss was the least redesigned of all of the characters, however. They just tweaked her hair and clothing styles a bit and didn't have her wearing the wig when singing.

Her face is more angular (and frankly, IMO, more masculine) and her hair is less "sleek". The colors are also muddier in everything I've looked at, but I admit I haven't watched much of it and only rarely look at any art from it. I go with Priss because she's the central character on all BGC materials. Sylia's redesign is bad for the character, but like I said, I didn't watch much so *shrug* (and I think her design overall isn't bad, just bad FOR Sylia). Linna is VERY 80s in the original. I love her design (my favorite) but don't begrudge redesigning her. (especially since like you said she's not developed as much in the OVAs) Nene is very different, but works for me in both.

Quote:
Save for the diminished production values

The excess of "stock footage" sequences gets REALLY old, plus they're just generally not as good as the OVAs.
Mesonoxian Eve

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 5:23 pm Reply with quote
I bought this title years ago and I've never seen it. See, it's sitting right there.

Having read this review, it'll be sitting right there for a little while longer.

Not that the review was bad, far from it, but because this title once interested me for the very reasons outlined in the review, but just one day, I found them to be... mediocre and uninteresting.

A few months ago, I threw in Cowboy Bebop and managed to get to the 4th episode before I ejected it and placed it back on the shelf. I hadn't seen this in a couple of years, but I found myself not enjoying it as I once did.

It was mediocre and uninteresting, and the worst part is, I know it's good. I've seen it. Heck, it's one of the reasons I own it.

Today's anime has spoiled me. It's the fast food industry serving me cheap eye candy because I no longer have the tolerance to wait for a table.

Somehow, this depresses me. Where the hell did I go wrong. Anime cry
belvadeer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 7:50 pm Reply with quote
After hearing everyone's explanations, I'm a bit curious to see this now. =)
Key

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:07 pm Reply with quote
Mesonoxian Eve wrote:
Today's anime has spoiled me. It's the fast food industry serving me cheap eye candy because I no longer have the tolerance to wait for a table.

Somehow, this depresses me. Where the hell did I go wrong. Anime cry

Yet another victim of the moe craze. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mesonoxian Eve

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:56 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Yet another victim of the moe craze. Wink

Victim? Can't be a victim if I volunteered. Razz

But to expand, it's about the story, not so much the girls/moe template. I don't consider a series like Ghost Hunt, Bamboo Blade, or Aria to be moe series, but they're absolutely wonderful to watch over and over. Spice & Wolf is engaging, but better than Bebop? Personal opinion, obviously, but it examples the situation.

Now, if they put moe in Bebop, that alone would generate revenues for decades, right?
Very Happy
Megiddo

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:07 pm Reply with quote
Mesonoxian Eve wrote:
Now, if they put moe in Bebop, that alone would generate revenues for decades, right?
Very Happy

You know how Boogie Woogie Feng-shui is typically on the bottom of everyone's list right? I'm pretty sure moe just doesn't work in the Bebop-verse.
Cryssoberyl

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:21 pm Reply with quote
I've never seen the original, but Tokyo 2040 was one of my earliest anime purchases, and something for which I have incredibly fond memories. Strong adult female characters, incredible music and action, and loads of style.

If you haven't seen it, don't miss it. With a very few exceptions, they don't make shows like this anymore, and that is a damn shame.
Mesonoxian Eve

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:35 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
I'm pretty sure moe just doesn't work in the Bebop-verse.

Perhaps you're right, but that space battle opera-like scene in Haruhi was teetering on me demanding a spin-off. Balk if you want, but I enjoyed it.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:48 pm Reply with quote
I wish Gunsmith Cats would have gotten the same love as Bubblegum Crisis. Crying or Very sad

At least it'll live on in Forza 4................. Yes, we created a car club called Gunsmith Cats! Laughing
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:55 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:

At least it'll live on in Forza 4................. Yes, we created a car club called Gunsmith Cats! Laughing

So, everyone drives a Shelby GT500, a Mustang II, a Lotus Elan, a BMW 2002, a BMW 318i, or a big honking Chevy Corvette?
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:58 pm Reply with quote
Sunday Silence wrote:
enurtsol wrote:

So, everyone drives a Shelby GT500, a Mustang II, a Lotus Elan, a BMW 2002, a BMW 318i, or a big honking Chevy Corvette?

We're trying! And don't forget the paint jobs!
Vracer111

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 12:13 am Reply with quote
I enjoy both Bubblegum Crisis and BGC Tokyo 2040 very much, with the original OVA edging out Tokyo 2040 TV series for me. The menu in the ADV release of BGC Tokyo 2040 along with the opening and ending is what made me seek out the OST's... one of my favorite OST's next to Birdy the Mighty: Decode and Burst Angel. The character designs and music are much more to my liking in BGC Tokyo 2040, especially the look of Sylia. Bubblegum Crisis is more to my story liking for it's more-cyber-punkness and darker feel. Really can't go wrong with either one though. Have not seen Bubblegum Crash and don't really plan to...

And adding moe to a new/redone Cowboy Beebop, I'm pretty sure that would be an offense punishable by life in prison...at a minimum.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3