• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Hosts Anime Licensing Survey

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Takeyo

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:42 am Reply with quote
Highlights of my responses to the survey:

Would buy:
Chihayafuru
Guilty Crown
Nichijou (My Ordinary Life)
Ano Hi Mita Hana no Namae o Bokutachi wa Mada Shiranai (Anohana)
LASTEXILE -Fam, the Silver Wing-

Would definitely buy:
Chihayafuru
Nichijou (My Ordinary Life)
Ano Hi Mita Hana no Namae o Bokutachi wa Mada Shiranai (Anohana)

Most cherished in your collection:
Evangelion Platinum singles w/ artbox

Which series or movie would you use to introduce a friend to anime:
Cowboy Bebop, REDLINE

Do you have any other thoughts about potential new titles from FUNimation?
  • Boku wa Tomodachi ga Sukunai (Haganai) and Hanasaku Iroha aren't listed. Would buy either and would definitely buy Hanasaku Iroha
  • Also would definitely buy Dennou Coil (glad to see other folks mentioned this, as well)
  • Would have checked Mawaru PenguinDrum, but having only seen one episode, I'm not sure I would buy it, myself. Looks good, though
  • Hope FUNi will give Chihayafuru serious consideration, especially if Kuragehime/Princess Jellyfish performs well
  • Would rather wait longer for a release to include BD than have it rushed to market on DVD only due to licensor fears of reverse importation
  • Finally, still looking forward to those Geneon titles
here-and-faraway

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:15 am Reply with quote
NJ_ wrote:
TD912 wrote:
Anyway, some of my picks were Penguindrum, and C^3. Although Funimation may have issues with the director while translating and subtitling Penguindrum, if stories of what happened to RightStuf and Revolutionary Girl Utena are to be believed...

What are you talking about? I've never heard anything about issues with Right Stuf & Ikuhara. Explain please!

Please do tell. I'm interested.
kusanagi-sama

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:25 am Reply with quote
TheAncientOne wrote:
RyanSaotome wrote:
Some of these I thought were already licensed... like Oretsuba.

animenewsnetwork.com/news/2011-06-11/funimation-adds-we-without-wings-under-the-innocent-sky

So I wonder why its on there.

I also wondered the same thing about Last Exile -Fam, The Silver Wing-, given this:
animenewsnetwork.com/news/2011-06-22/funimation-adds-last-exile-fam-the-silver-wing

The last I checked "home video rights" meant DVD &/or BD.

I also can't believe that a title like Twin Angel is even on the same list as some of the other titles. The only explanation that makes sense is that if it is from Kadokawa, it gets consideration by Funimation.

Yeah, that's what I wonder about Last Exile as well.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:36 am Reply with quote
I personally voted for Chihayafuru (while I haven't necessarily gotten around to the show due to issues with work, my brother has watched it and loved every second of it) and Uta no Prince-sama (again, haven't seen it yet, but it's definitely on my list).

Although, honestly, I can't really see Funimation licensing these, although I'll be pleasantly surprised if they do. Uta no Prince-sama seems like something that Section 23/Sentai Filmworks would license, mainly because it reminds me vaguely of their releases of La Corda d'Oro, Glass Mask, and Princess Tutu (shows with characters in the performing arts). Chihayafuru doesn't seem like, despite having a large number of fans, it'd do well dubbed. I could see Sentai Filmworks licensing it, but I think it'd do better for NISA, especially with their premium release treatment.
504NOSON2
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 12:16 pm Reply with quote
Saffire wrote:
I think most people (myself included) don't like buying anime sight unseen. It's a bit expensive to be gambling on whether you like a show or not. It's not a bad thing though.

I believe that's true, actually; that many people (here, at least) are more willing to buy shows they've seen in entirety -- even some they've recently seen. As somewhat backwards as it may be, people do it.

You don't have to be completely blind to a series. Previewing a show is fine. Plus, I've discovered that my most effective system of pre-purchasing research is to first make sure that it's a genre or theme that I'd appreciate, check its reviews (or previews or mentions in articles by credible writers; like Ben-To or AnoHana, for example) to make sure it has at least a B average or is considered to be of high quality, checks the user ratings -- specifically, the median and bayesian estimate -- to see if many others have similarly high opinions of the show. All of those factors are added up to certify my buying of a show. Only in very few cases will I purchase a title that's legally streaming (one that I haven't seen).

So, if a show is legally streaming, and I've already seen it, then, to me, that would be money down the crapper.
yotsubafanfan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 12:44 pm Reply with quote
Oh how I hope that Nichijou will win, its one of my favorite animes! Its just like Azumanga Daioh on a sugar high along with it just being high ( In other words its a super powered up Azumanga Daioh.) Its super funny and crazy and if any anime deserves that lisences it Nichijou. Its the closest thing to Azumanga Daioh when it comes to comedy and if I'm correct Azumanga Daioh was a pretty big hit when it hit the US, so this would be a smart choice considering it'll be a big hit among Azumanga Daioh fans. Along with the fact that it got abandoned by Bandai (which in my oppinion funi would do a much better job at dubbing) A brilliant anime with a crazy cast and Music that makes you feel like your at the movies Nichijou is hands down the best choice. Very Happy
Dessa

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 1:01 pm Reply with quote
configspace wrote:
But every time they have these surveys I have to laugh at the irony of including shows that aren't available here "legally" like:
Uragiri wa Boku no Namae o Shitteiru

Uh, Uraboku is available legally in the US, it's streaming on Crunchyroll. Also, the first 2 (read: 4, stupid omnibus) volumes of the manga are out in the US, making it perfectly likely to be known via legal channels.
Keichitsu0305

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 1:31 pm Reply with quote
peachsncreamsoda wrote:
So many to choose from Anime hyper ...
But c'mon now! I can not be the only one here hoping for Future Diary Anime cry .

I would buy Future Diary but only on onecondition: Jerry Jewell as Aru Akise. Very Happy

My list is the same as everyone else:
Ano Hi Mita Hana no Namae o Boku-tachi wa Mada Shiranai (AnoHana), Ben-To, Chihayafuru, Gosick, Mawaru Penguindrum,
and The Tatami Galaxy. Everything else, I either didn't like or didn't watch at all. :/

I'm so glad no one else voted for Sekai Ichi Hatsukoi; I hope Nozomi will license it. Even though Bunny Drop isn't on the list, it would be nice if NIS America or Sentai pick it up.
mannyperson

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 1:41 pm Reply with quote
504NOSON2 wrote:
I took a slightly different approach than most of the posters here. Instead of selecting series that I've already seen through legal streaming avenues (i.e. Chihayafuru, Mirai Nikki) I chose shows that I haven't yet seen, but have all had very positive reactions and reviews (Mawaru Penguindrum, Ben-To).

I've done some blind buys in the past based on some really positive reviews, and I've found that while I did really enjoy some, others were ok and I'd probably never watch them ever again in the next decade.

I basically just voted for Chihayafuru and did acknowledge that it would be a bit more difficult to adapt into a dub. However, it seems that none of the other companies are interested, so Funi may be our last chance at a license for this show. I'm guessing, like another poster has said, that the success (or lack of it) of Princess Jellyfish will help determine whether or not it gets a license if enough people vote for it.
Ojamajo LimePie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 1:42 pm Reply with quote
I went with:
  • Mawaru Penguindrum
  • Chihayafuru
  • Ben-to
  • AnoHana

Penguindrum is my most wanted series at the moment.
greensoulreaper

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 2:08 pm Reply with quote
I'd go for Guilty Crown, Baka Test Season 2, and maybe Mirai Nikki. Ben-To and C3 might interest me as well.

But lately it seems like Funimation is seriously trying to make an effort to get more releases overseas. That's good.
mdo7

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 3:15 pm Reply with quote
I would love Funimation to pick up Gosick, The Tatami Galaxy, and Guilty Crown. I know Sailor Moon is not on there, but I wish Funimation could say something about if they got it or not. I wish Dragon Crisis was on that list because I like that show ever since I watch it on Crunchyroll.

Anime I would like Funimation to rescue: Turn A Gundam, Hayate the Combat Butler.

Anime I don't want Funimation to license: Fanservice show (we don't need anymore of it thank you, just focus on the none fanservice one), and for goodness sake, no Good-luck Ninomiya, that show was ugh, bad when I watch it on Crunchyroll.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
configspace

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 3:37 pm Reply with quote
Dessa wrote:

Uh, Uraboku is available legally in the US, it's streaming on Crunchyroll. Also, the first 2 (read: 4, stupid omnibus) volumes of the manga are out in the US, making it perfectly likely to be known via legal channels.

Ok thanks I wasn't aware. Still like I mentioned the others, 30-sai, AnoHana, Ben-To, Mawaru Penguindrum, Uta no Prince Sama, aren't and it's odd to include them in surveys, especially asking if you're asking for strong opinion (what do you want and what you'd definitely commit to buying)
Redlinks

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 3:43 pm Reply with quote
Sadly, I don't really care for any of the titles except for maybe Nichijou, AnoHana, and Gosick. I would rather they license the new Dragon Ball: Heya! Son Goku & Friends Return movie or some of the Dragon Ball OVA episodes that never got released here.

Last edited by Redlinks on Wed Jan 25, 2012 4:06 pm; edited 2 times in total
Megiddo

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 3:48 pm Reply with quote
UtaPri was/is on Nico I think. Hell, the nico comments are a huge reason why a lot of people like the series.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 5 of 9