• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Hosts Anime Licensing Survey

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mune

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 3:59 pm Reply with quote
Dang it, I missed Goshuusou-sama Ninimoya-kun. I thought the list was the more recent titles in the last year or so. I still plan on getting it too. I'm surprised Night Wizard wasn't on the list, as I really like the series and it makes some sense out of the pulling random objects from nowhere.

But, I put down that I would buy:
Nichijou (because I thought it was good and funny)
Oretachi no tsubasa wa nai (because I like Shuffle!)
Last Exile: Fam (because I like Last Exile and what I've seen of this)
Maken-Ki (Uh, fanservice...)

I have to be a well-rounded individual in tastes and collection.
SnowMusket

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 4:17 pm Reply with quote
I voted for...
Dantalian no Shoka - I'd buy a sub only release just to own this. Gosick never interested me, but I love Dantalian.
Twin Angel - As much as I HATE to admit it, a dub in the style of Hetalia's would make this very funny. *
Symphogear - The one I would expect them to dub, including the songs.

I know what I want isn't exactly what everyone else here wants, but they are what I want.

*I hate how the dub changed the tone and characterization in Hetalia. Turning it from a show that was going to be on a kid's channel into a South Park wannabe. This is just my opinion.
Lynx Amali

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 4:21 pm Reply with quote
Symphogear, Gosick, Guilty Crown and Tatami for me for both.

As for future titles, Aquarion freaking Evol. I absolutely loved the dub for the first series and going by EVOL so far, I'd love to see Funi's take on it. Preferably with Fudo's VA being, well, Fudo.
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 4:22 pm Reply with quote
Unfortunately, there was little reason for me to participate in the survey, since I rarely purchase physical media (be it anime or "mainstream" content).

There is only one title at the moment I would swear to buy (in fact, I would prepay for a dub of it), and it wasn't on the list. No surprise, however, since it was a Spring 2007 series.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 5:30 pm Reply with quote
TheAncientOne wrote:
Unfortunately, there was little reason for me to participate in the survey, since I rarely purchase physical media (be it anime or "mainstream" content).

There is only one title at the moment I would swear to buy (in fact, I would prepay for a dub of it), and it wasn't on the list. No surprise, however, since it was a Spring 2007 series.

I wouldn't have guessed you'd be a Nanoha Strikers fan!
Veers

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 5:34 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
R315r4z0r wrote:
Why wasn't Haganai on the list? Of their recent simulcasts, that show was definitely among my favorites.

Probably because its streaming numbers were good enough to look into licensing it without asking people.
From a popular torrent tracker:
Fansub downloads for episodes 1-11: ~4000/episode
Fansub downloads for episode 12: Almost 40,000

Ingraman wrote:
I'd be happiest if either NISA or Nozomi picked up Dennou Coil, but I'm almost to the point where I could even deal with Funi getting it. Or if I could find scripts to go with the Blu-ray set that I bought from Amazon.
Shouldn't take much effort to get some .ass scripts for Dennou Coil. I have some if you want them.
Mune

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 5:36 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
TheAncientOne wrote:

I actually recommended Funimation license Nanoha Strikers, Shakugan no Shana seasons 2+, and Zero no Tsukaima seasons 2+. Though, I already know that season 4 of Zero no Tsukaima was picked up...
Jimbobaka

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:12 pm Reply with quote
Hopefully "The Tatami Galaxy" gets some attention. This series revitalized my love of anime (along with "Cross Game") and reminded me that there's still quality series being produced.

I've been politely requesting Funi representatives in convention panels my interest in a physical release of the anime but of course I'm only one person voicing his opinions to a company that needs to cater to an entire fanbase.

I'm praying all those that enjoyed "The Tatami Galaxy" find this article and plug in their votes!
Emerje

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:14 pm Reply with quote
My top four:

AnoHana
Nichijou
Ben-To
Penguindrum

Penguindrum edged out Gosick, it would have certainly been number five if there could have been.

In the end I gave them a little flak for taking too long on the 2010 announcements. I know fault lies in Japan for that one, but it doesn't hurt to let them know we're still interested. Also made a request for Library Wars and a license rescue for Paranoia Agent.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Xanas

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:21 pm Reply with quote
Gosick
Guilty Crown
Mirai Nikki
Chihayafuru (albeit I kind of think they would be crazy to take that one since it might be difficult to dub and I was horribly torn between various fanservice series there which were virtually equal for me).

I also asked them to release Shana and To Aru immediately Smile

I listed Spice and Wolf as my favorite series, though I'm not 100% sure that's accurate it's very close if not the top one for me.

I hope they don't get annoyed at my complicated answer for recommendations, but I tend to recommend based on what I know of that a person is already interested in. I would recommend Spice and Wolf to some people, but not most, so I generally go with something like Ghost in the Shell or Cowboy Bebop or Dragon Ball Z/Naruto (if they like cartoons). If they like action I'll go with something more like Claymore. I listed a few others as well that other people have liked that aren't generally fans of anime.
Lynx Amali

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:32 pm Reply with quote
Mune wrote:

I actually recommended Funimation license Nanoha Strikers, Shakugan no Shana seasons 2+, and Zero no Tsukaima seasons 2+. Though, I already know that season 4 of Zero no Tsukaima was picked up...

The bold underlined was also what I recommended as well, along with Movie 1st. Not to mention if they do, same VA cast please. Razz
Tsukaima 4 was picked up? By who, if I may ask?
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:33 pm Reply with quote
Mune wrote:
RyanSaotome wrote:
TheAncientOne wrote:

They already passed on renewing season 1 of Zero due to poor sales, so I can't see them touching the rest. Not to mention it wouldn't make much sense to acquire earlier seasons when the new season already has a home. It's also quite likely that Sentai already has the rest or is negotiating for it.
Never_Know_Best

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:58 pm Reply with quote
Honestly, I'm surprised Funi's still considering Tatami Galaxy. Delighted, but surprised.

--

Top Four:

Ano Hana
Chihayafuru
Mawaru Penguindrum
Tatami Galaxy

Ben-To, Dantalian, Future Diary, and Nichijou were my runners-up.

Then I got unexpectedly cynical in the comments section. After reminding them to put Panty and Stocking on Adult Swim, the only older recommendation I made was for Michiko and Hatchin. I also suggested two good (but not great) 2011 comedies (Level E, Azazel-san) and pointed out their glaring omission of Usagi Drop.

Emerje wrote:
a license rescue for Paranoia Agent.

I really wish I'd asked for this instead.
Jimbobaka

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 7:05 pm Reply with quote
Not sure if any company is on the cusp of licensing "Cross Game" but I listed that as one of my suggestions for future licensing. Viz has the rights to the manga, so I assume they may have a bit more leverage in acquiring the anime rights.

I also plugged in "Usagi Drop" because that series tackles the wonders of parenting in a manner that is both entertaining and heartwarming.

Finally my continued campaign for a licensed version of "Nodame Cantabile" trudges along. I know its a long shot, but a guy can always press his luck.
Dynamic A

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 7:06 pm Reply with quote
NJ_ wrote:
TD912 wrote:
Anyway, some of my picks were Penguindrum, and C^3. Although Funimation may have issues with the director while translating and subtitling Penguindrum, if stories of what happened to RightStuf and Revolutionary Girl Utena are to be believed...

What are you talking about? I've never heard anything about issues with Right Stuf & Ikuhara. Explain please!

Yeah, we're going to need more info on that, please...

How much have Right Stuf's subs changed from the old CPM ones? I was under the impression that it was the same script, with the same translator listed on the credits.

-DA, who voted for PENGUINDRUM
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 6 of 9