• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Gantz GN 2

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DFBTG

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 9:04 pm Reply with quote
tempest wrote:
DFBTG wrote:
A "c" for art? Huh...either my opinion of what is good is drastically different than the reviewers, or the earlier volume's art really wasn't that good. I never read any of the earlier ones. I think the only chapters I read were those released back in early summer, whatever those were.

The art does honestly get better in the later volumes. Like with many manga, there's a huge difference between volume 18 and volume 2. That being said, I don't know if it will be significant enough of a difference to sway the Carlo.-t

Well, thanks for clearing that up. Still, I think that the later volume(s)/chapters have magnificent artwork...but if he doesn't agree, to each their own, really.
The Human Spider

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 9:06 am Reply with quote
dAngel wrote:
Zopelthe543 wrote:
Well its good you like that aspect of the story, but I just don't see that being a minus.

Personally I don't think it is... I enjoyed the whole "WTF is going on!?" aspect, but I can see how someone looking for a complex scifi plot might want more. To me, the whole premise of Gantz is like a social experiment... let's drop random people from all walks of life in this situation and see how they react under pressure. It's interesting how everyone reacts different. Some panic and get killed right away, some go into denial, some try to lead and protect the group, while others get drunk off bloodlust. The rules keep changing, it's not fair, and no one really knows how or why. It's a bit like life, no? Smile

That's the thing that really got me into the series(both anime and manga.) When I first saw the anime I thought that it was perhaps intended as a black-comedy-style satire of reality shows. The premise does work like some twisted parody of reality shows, except GANTZ's characters are a little less unlikeable.
Animehermit

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 9:27 am Reply with quote
Like the series as a whole, but I think its worth a buy for anyone who had a mild interest in the anime, simply because of its later expanded storyline and superior pacing to the anime. What I like most about Gantz is the physiology of it, Each character is uniquely different and will react differently depending on the situation. The author introduces these characters, you start to like them, and BAM they die, and makes the whole thing interesting just to see who dies next. Later, when the permanent cast develops we get some good story elements as well, but thats not what Gantz is about, its more character driven then story driven, which is why I like Gantz.
dAngel

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 10:25 am Reply with quote
The Human Spider wrote:
The premise does work like some twisted parody of reality shows, except GANTZ's characters are a little less unlikeable.

Yeah, there is a lot of satire in there. The cliffhanger spoiler[with the two Kishimoto's is actually pretty hilarious I thought.... the idea that Gantz occasionally makes mistakes.] Gantz is impartial and doesn't care, yet sometimes it just feels like he's doing it for the lulz. It's disturbingly funny. Wink
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3