• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New Anime Magazine for Women

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MeggieMay

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 3:47 pm Reply with quote
I was surprisingly disappointed to find the magazine was in Japanese only, as well Surprised. I love the cover and would love to see what sort of content the magazine has in it.
jay saenz

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 4:11 pm Reply with quote
Kenshin5000 wrote:
I'm a guy and I'd pick one up too. I'm really starting to get ticked off at Newtype's VERY machismo attitude, what with the submissive females being touted and all (of course, that's most anime in general...). Frankly, I'd like to see more intelligent discussions in this magazine as well, since half of it won't be composed of splash photos of the girls from the latest harem show like in Newtype.

But then again, wouldn't that just be switched with pictures of scantilly-clad guys?

W/e. More to power to females, I say!

I don't think that Newtype USA is a male oriented magazine. It features bishounen anime. Even they had a male centerfold (Ugly Ken from the Fist of the North Star Ovas). And they also have a top ten for guys in their anime land section.

If you want to take a look at a male oriented anime magazine pick MEGAMI. This magazine is awsome, a lot of beautiful pictures of cute gals in lingerie, swinsuits and short skirts... its my favorite magazine.

I also disagree with the fact that a female magazine would be smarter than a male's. The women look for cute guys in the same way we look for cute girls... the only major diference is the sex of the character in the cover and the centerfold.
Tagarth

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 9:05 pm Reply with quote
jay saenz wrote:
I also disagree with the fact that a female magazine would be smarter than a male's. The women look for cute guys in the same way we look for cute girls.

OMG an anime version of "Vanity fair". AAAAAH! It's true, I cant think of many "Women's" magazines that are inteligent or encourage anything but how to make your self look more sexy, and get guys to look at you (please, correct me if I'm wrong, don't really spend much time in the magazine department of chapters).

I tend to read magazines that are aimed at both male and female readers (Wired, Protoculture adicts, maxim... ah I mean... Business weekly?), I don't much care for the stereo type that "Men want boobs and moters" and girls want "Hair and... more hair... colors". Man, forget scouting parties, aliens would just have to take a look at our magazine racks and they would either run back to Mimbar, or they would put us out of our missery all to quick.

I await your swift Judgment Delehn!

Last edited by Tagarth on Wed Sep 22, 2004 2:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 9:11 pm Reply with quote
Tagarth wrote:
OMG an anime version of "Vanity fair". AAAAAH! It's true, I can't think of many "Women's" magazines that are inteligent or encourage anything but how to make your self look more sexy, and get guys to look at you (please, correct me if I'm wrong, don't really spend much time in the magazine department of chapters)

Now that's a giant sterotype. I can think of plenty, with my favourite womans' magazine being BUST http://www.bust.com/. Sure the teen magazines are filled with nothing but improving your looks, but the ones targeting older woman actually put forth an effort into making intresting articles worth the money you put down *most of the time*
Andromeda

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 10:51 pm Reply with quote
Hmm... what about Animerica Extra? Hasn't Extra gone totally shoujo-manga in the past year or two (I haven't been able to keep up with it because my local bookstore rarely has it)? True, it's mostly about the manga there, but they have some good articles, usually quite intelligent and interesting, about thigns like say, the evolving role of women in manga, the all-female Takurazaka(sp?) theatre troup, or manga that feature shapeshifters (and shapeshifters' roles in Japanese folklore). Good stuff, every time it seems.

In any case... even IF this mag turns out to just be a fluff mag, at least the girls get their own magazine for once... I mean, hey, girl's gotta drool over a bishie once ina while, too, right?

Though judging by the wide range of titles listed as being covered in their first issue, I have a feeling it'll be fairly middle-ground (ie; covering a lot of shounen and cross-the-board type series, not just shoujo), but probably with an emphasis on the feminine veiwpoints and strong female characters (such as Misato Katsuragi, Motoko Kusanagi, Misaki Matsuya, etc. - wow, is it just me, or are a lot of strong female characters named with "M" names?)... and, probably, bishounen too. Sounds good to me - so, ADV, you brought us NEwtype, when're you going to bring us PASH!, hm? ;)

-Andromeda

--@~>
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
darkhunter

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 11:05 pm Reply with quote
Mitsukino_Usagi wrote:
JupiterAH2 wrote:
Is there any way I can actaully get my hands on this other than going to Japan?

Well there can be 3 ways:

3) Go to Japan and get it urself Laughing

Hmmm, I thought he said any other than going to japan.

Anyways, about the magazine, why do I have a feeling that a bunch of guys are gonna pick it up. Just like all those guys that pick up Cosmo every month.
Mitsukino_Usagi

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 12:21 am Reply with quote
darkhunter wrote:
Mitsukino_Usagi wrote:
JupiterAH2 wrote:
Is there any way I can actaully get my hands on this other than going to Japan?

Well there can be 3 ways:

3) Go to Japan and get it urself Laughing

Hmmm, I thought he said any other than going to japan.

Anyways, about the magazine, why do I have a feeling that a bunch of guys are gonna pick it up. Just like all those guys that pick up Cosmo every month.

O_O I have never in my life seen a guy actually buying a vanaty mag for themselfs.....and im not sure they would like to read a mag for grrls full of Info, rather then grrls with big boobs or showing their panties x_X
Craeyst Raygal

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 12:50 am Reply with quote
TheDoom wrote:
Surely the anime fans at bad word Magazine cannot be happy with the content (as posted above) quiet, submissive women who only care of how to serve men better. One anime comes to mind (I can't think of a title now, I merely saw a trailer) where a woman strives to become some man's wife, simply because they were childhood loves. However, I'm not sure if this is how it went down in the show or not. But, we consistantly see women NEEDING men, instead of being their own independant person. Of course, this varies with series and films. But, the amount of strong female characters surely is outnumbered by the male.

Wow, you really obviously didn't see Ai Yori Aoshi. Aoi, the young woman you saw in the trailer, is actually one of the strongest female characters I've seen in a romance series, it just doesn't seem that way because she's strong and still feminine.

What you also fail to notice is that the man in the series in question, Kaoru Hanabishi, needs her as much as she needs him. They function together as a couple. To quote a very wonderful Rush lyric from the song Speed of Love "Two halves make two wholes."

In many cases, the "strong" female characters in anime are little more than window dressing themselves. Butch attitudes donned only because its their creator's view of what's sexy. The aforementioned Major Kusanagi is particularly a good example of the over-sexed macho chick. A paradigm familiar in Masamune Shirow's work (for instance, Dominion Tank Police's Anna and Uni).

A more true example of a strong female character is Emeraldas of the Harlock universe. Proud, determined, even haughty, Emeraldas commands her own vessel and is equal in skill to the great Captain Harlock himself. For that matter, look to the women of Bubblegum Crisis, Priss and Sylia in particular. Again, prideful and skilled; powerful women who succeed where men fail.

Can't tell me that strong women don't exist in anime, or that men don't create them. It's not as common an occurence as it is in American films today, but then you must accept that to an extent that is because of the infiltration of salemen and bureaucrats into the creative process. No longer can there be a damsel in distress in a modern movie filmed stateside - it's considered sexist and demeaning. The more people look at a creator's work and say "It isn't right because I don't agree with it" the more we get redundant tripe lacking in meaning or originality because ANY personal attachment the creator may have felt to the work is filtered out by people who can't get the thought out of their heads that their opinions are best kept to themselves and their ideals should not become unilateral law.

*takes breath*
Tagarth

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 2:08 pm Reply with quote
littlegreenwolf wrote:
Now that's a giant sterotype. I can think of plenty, with my favourite womans' magazine being BUST http://www.bust.com/.

Thats kind of the point of a Stereo type, help large groups of people make bland unresearched generelizations about another group of people.

There are a few Magazines like that for women, and I'm not trying to say that ALL womens magazines are ditsy and blond, but those are definatly the ones that are pushed. For instance, I went to Chapters book store earlier today, and I was thinking about this Topic, so I decided to look for normal magazines aimed toward women. They were almost hidden out of view, behind all the disty blond magazines. I geuss my only point is that while such magazines do exist, it's a shame they are not pushed as much as "teen" magazines.
pandorina

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 12:22 pm Reply with quote
Very Happy I am happy about it. Now we just need an english version.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2