• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Tokyopop Number 1 Graphic Novel Publisher

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
aoie_emesai

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2004 2:33 pm Reply with quote
# 1 huh? Most of the votes seems opinionated, i really dont want votes from any crazy otaku, just the regular readers

I would say that the quality of all Publishers are alright

I always have problems with all of my books, its that the bind seems to have little durability, usually around 1/5 of the book, and half way

Espically with all of volume 1s from Tokyopop, less trouble with Viz, some trouble with DelRay, little with Comic One

I wouldn't say #1 to any company
Tommimacevovi

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 8:14 pm Reply with quote
Look, it's actually pretty stupid to argue about stuff like this, since each person have a specific manga/anime that they like, thus causing a biased view toward certain company.

For me, I watch some manga from most of the major company (TP, Viz, DM, Del Ray and ADV), from what I can see:

TP: got tons of manga, but tend to Americanize the manga too much (who in Japan will say Yo, this is da bomb?), and sloppy QC (Quality Control) regarding their translation.

Viz: Pretty good quality most of the time, except some translation/QC problem here and there...

DM: Great Translation and keeping their , but VERY inconsistant with their releases dates(WHERE'S MY HELLSING #4?) Twisted Evil

ADV: Very good with their translation process, Americanized some of the jokes and situations at times, but it's understandable, translating sounds and give some translation note as well. However, sometimes they tried to do too much on mainstreaming the manga (Amerianized it a bit to the point that it "ruined the mood a bit")

Del Ray: Great Translation (Just as I expect out of Random House), even have preview and some cultural translation. Not enough titles through
Haiseikoh 1973

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 8:34 pm Reply with quote
Tokyopop
Pro: Wide Selection, easy to get.
Con: Initial D

Viz
Pro: Okay selection.
Con: Gender Crisis: Are they trying to appeal to Girls or Young Males? Wheres manga for the Men?!

Comics One
Pro: Crayon Shinchan
Con: Most of their line either are stinkers or question marks.

Dark Horse/DMP
Pro: Offbeat and Darker Manga
Con: Other than Shirows stuff (Appleseed, GITS, Intron Depot), i'm not impressed.

Del Ray:
Pro: Translating is okay (some stuff they neglected), translation notes, previews.
Con: Too young in the game.

ADV
Pro: None
Con: Um, when are they gonna release their stuff?
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 9:14 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Con: Other than Shirows stuff (Appleseed, GITS, Intron Depot), i'm not impressed.

And just how much of they're stuff have you read? They have tons of high quality stuff, better than GitS in my opinion (its not my favorite Shirow manga). Their mangas have won quite a few awards, both Harvey and Eisner. They do have a couple of stinkers, but the good outweighs the bad in my opinion.
Quote:
Con: Gender Crisis: Are they trying to appeal to Girls or Young Males? Wheres manga for the Men?!

Its called editors choice, as well as Pulp. They have tons of manga out aimed at men, perhapse the most of any publisher.
takami826

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 12:05 pm Reply with quote
jfrog wrote:

I disagree. Go to a comic shop and compare anything published by Tokyopop to No.5, Buddha, or Kwaidan. It's like the difference between a Criterion DVD and one by a fly by night publisher. I do agree that the digest sized $9.99 manga with a bare bones translation (too lazy for sound effects?) feels very homogenized, and they usually fall apart after a few readings. That's why my collection mainly consists of Dark Horse and Pulp/Editor's Choice Viz - they give me quality product. If there's something that I want from Tokyopop, I'll borrow it from a friend or get it from the library.

You haven't seen my Sanctuary collection then... I wish Viz would re-release it in the cheaper format so I could replace my books, they are all falling apart, pages tumbling out in chunks... such a mess.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3