Dr. Slump Ranks #1 in Top Jump Gag Manga Poll
posted on by Jennifer Sherman
Gag manga often don't enjoy the widespread appeal that top series have. It can be difficult for comedy stories to become huge hits because different things make different people laugh. So when a gag comedy manga wants to hit a home run, it's got to aim for out of the park.
The Goo Ranking website's latest manga-related poll asked people which gag manga is the "strongest" to ever appear in Shonen Jump magazine. The website's readers selected manga that are funny no matter how many times they read them.
The poll surveyed 500 people in their 20s and 30s, and an equal number of men and women participated. The website conducted the poll from September 8 to September 13, and it published the results on Thursday.
Readers' top 20 choices are:
1. Dr. Slump (106 votes)
2. Gintama (67 votes)
3. Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo (56 votes)
4. Pyu to Fuku! Jaguar (42 votes)
5. Magical Taruruuto-kun (38 votes)
6. Highschool! Kimengumi (34 votes)
7. Samon-kun wa Summoner (32 votes)
8. Sexy Commando Gaiden: Sugoi yo!! Masaru-san (31 votes)
9. Koi no Cupid Yakeno Harajin (28 votes)
10. Isobe Isobee Monogatari ~Ukiyo wa Tsurai yo~ (25 votes)
11. Saiki Kusuo no Psi Nan (23 votes)
12. Jungle no Ouja Tāchan, Sakigake!! Otoko Juku, Tsuide ni Tonchinkan (tied with 20 votes each)
15. Retsu!!! Date-Senpai, Boku no Watashi no Yūshagaku (tied with 19 votes each)
17. Inumarudashi—, Seikimatsu Leader Den Takeshi, Shape Up Ran (tied with 18 votes each)
18. Moeru! Oniisan (17 votes)
Many of these titles are unheard of in the English-speaking world, probably due to Japan's differing tastes in comedy. Do you have any favorite gag series from Shonen Jump or another magazine? Tell us in the forums!