• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Most Improved Character Tournament: Participants/Minigame

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:58 pm Reply with quote
rosebrook11 wrote:
You have no idea how much I'm laughing right now. This is a character I wanted to nominate, but didn't feel comfortable doing so because I had not seen the series and played about half of the video game. But I will give him my support from what my friend has generally described about him and from what I have seen so far.

Supporting
Luke (Tales of the Abyss)

If you want a character that starts off with absolutely no redeeming qualities but then grows into a world saving hero, Luke is your man. If this tournament was based solely on quantitative values, Luke would win hands down.
Tris8

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 3:03 am Reply with quote
NOMINATING:

Mari Wakatake, Blue Drop
Who She Is: She is a rich teenage girl who lives with her grandmother and is home schooled by tutors. 5 years ago, a tsunami hit without warning where she lived and killed hundreds of people, including her parents. Mari was the only survivor on the island, but because of the trauma she lost all her memories before that point, even her own name. Because of that horrible disaster, she became very withdrawn and attached to her grandmother, her only relative and friend. When Mari reaches high school age, her grandmother decides Mari needs to go to a boarding school because 'there are some things you can only learn at a regular school with girls your own age'. Mari is bitter at what she perceives as being sent away, and struggles with her feelings of anger and abandonment.
How She Improves: At first Mari has no intentions of making nice with her dorm mates. A girl (Michi) tries to show her around the school, but Mari brushes her off as she immaturely plans to run away as soon as possible. Soon, she realizes she has no where to go, and hearing Michi's story of being the only non-rich girl at the school prompts Mari to confide in Michi her story of amnesia. As Mari slowly opens up to Michi, Hagino, and her other dorm mates, she learns the meaning behind her grandmother's words. With the help of Hagino, Mari is able to overcome the tragedy in her past and find love.
Picture

VOTING FOR:
Victoria, Hellsing Ultimate
Unicorn_Blade

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 3:31 am Reply with quote
Supporting

Kanon Memphis, Fafner
Jean Valjean, Les Miserables Shoujo Cosette
Ayaka Steiger, Kurau Phantom Memory
Aylinn

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 4:09 am Reply with quote
Supporting:
Gauche, Gauche the Cellist
MorwenLaicoriel

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 4:52 am Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:

Also, I'm a bit surprised no one has voted for Rei. Are there no Evangelion fans around here? Or are you just all Asuka fans? Laughing

I've only seen the first Rebuild movie so far, and she doesn't really improve at all in the original TV series (honestly I tried to think of a character that DID improve in the original TV series and came up empty) so I didn't think she was worth a vote. (Although honestly, I'm not a huge fan of Asuka or Rei. I'm the stereotypical Kaworu fangirl. Laughing)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
MrDandi97

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 5:35 am Reply with quote
NOMINATING:
Dio Brando,JoJo's Bizarre Adventure
Who He is:Dio was born the son of Dario Brando, an alcoholic and abusive father who he secretly despised - in part for having caused pain to his mother. On Dario's deathbed, he told Dio of his encounter with George Joestar twelve years prior, instructing Dio go to the Joestar house and use his wiles to become wealthy. He was then adopted into the Joestar household and subsequently began undermining his new adoptive brother Jonathan at every opportunity. Dio was resolute to shatter Jonathan's spirit and take his place as the favored son, even going so far as to arrange for Jonathan's dog, Danny, to be burned to death.
How He Improves:During Part 1 he intends to use the Stone Mask which he thinks is a torture device.During an experiment he finds out that the mask is capable of turning the wearer into a vampire.During Part 3 he is resurrected and gains a Stand called "The World".With this Stand he is capable of controlling time.However,to gain full power over his abilities he needs the blood of a Joestar.In the end he manages to do so but is stopped by Part 3's Protagonist Jotaro Kujo.
VOTING FOR:
Tomoya Okazaki,Clannad and Clannad:After Story
Victoria Seras,Hellsing Ultimate
Mylene

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:02 am Reply with quote
Voting For
Jean Valjean, Les Miserables Shoujo Cosette
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:03 pm Reply with quote
MorwenLaicoriel wrote:
I've only seen the first Rebuild movie so far, and she doesn't really improve at all in the original TV series (honestly I tried to think of a character that DID improve in the original TV series and came up empty) so I didn't think she was worth a vote. (Although honestly, I'm not a huge fan of Asuka or Rei. I'm the stereotypical Kaworu fangirl. Laughing)

Definitely check out the second movie, then. Not only does Rei improve the most there, so does Asuka and Kaworu actually shows up.

But yeah, agreed about the TV series. That's why I used the movies.
MorwenLaicoriel

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:20 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
MorwenLaicoriel wrote:

Definitely check out the second movie, then. Not only does Rei improve the most there, so does Asuka and Kaworu actually shows up.

But yeah, agreed about the TV series. That's why I used the movies.

Yeah, it's on my to-do list, I just haven't gotten around to it yet. Streaming anime has been distracting me too much.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Keichitsu0305

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:39 pm Reply with quote
Key, will voting end on Sunday or sometime next week? You mention nominations ending of Saturday but I was just curious.

Voting For:
Gauche, Gauche the Cellist
Dio Brando, JoJo's Bizarre Adventure
Ryouta Sakamoto, BTOOOM! (yeah, I hated this guy in the beginning but, magically, I started to care about him near the end & appreciated his skills as a player)
Sawako Kuronuma, Kimi ni Todoke - From Me to You
Masakazu Masaki, Time of Eve
Hagumi Hanamoto, Honey and Clover
Tsukimi Kurashita, Princess Jellyfish
Mashiro blan de Windbloom, My-Otome

The reason why I haven't voted for Rei is, although in Rebuild, I loved how spoiler[she stops Asuka from slapping her in the Elevator scene], there really isn't that much of a difference between NGE!Rei 2 and Rebuild!Rei.
I appreciate her spoiler[trying to get Shinji and Gendo to talk] but, atlas, it wasn't meant to be. Oh, and I have like, five friends who refuse to watch either the TV series or the new films so I'm not surprised if alot of anime fans haven't seen it.

MorwenLaicoriel wrote:

I'm the stereotypical Kaworu fangirl.

Take pride in it. Wink
From what I understand, both he and Asuka (as well as the members of Nerv & Shinji, believe it or not) vastly improve in Rebuild 3.0. spoiler[He still dies though so that sucks.]
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 4:35 pm Reply with quote
I have the feeling that these vote totals would be more meaningful if there was some way to know which anime titles each voter had and hadn't seen.

The way it is now, it seems like the votes are heavily weighted to more popular anime.
One-Eye

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 5:07 pm Reply with quote
MrDandi97 wrote:
NOMINATING:
Dio Brando,JoJo's Bizarre Adventure

MrDandi I think you need to link a pic for your nomination to be accepted:

Quote:
7.Every nomination must be accompanied by a write-up (see below) and a link to a picture of the character or that nomination is not considered valid.
Key

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 5:12 pm Reply with quote
Keichitsu0305 wrote:
Key, will voting end on Sunday or sometime next week? You mention nominations ending of Saturday but I was just curious.

I had wanted to end the nominations tonight and do the final wrap-up on voting on Sunday, but I'll extend it for a while since we seem to be still getting a decent volume of voting. My time to do anything with this decreases dramatically after Monday and will stay that way for most of the rest of the month, though, which is why I was hoping to get the voting process finished this weekend.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 5:22 pm Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:
I have the feeling that these vote totals would be more meaningful if there was some way to know which anime titles each voter had and hadn't seen.

The way it is now, it seems like the votes are heavily weighted to more popular anime.

For nominations, this is likely true since people won't be voting for a character they aren't familiar with. However, since this is just nominations, I don't think it's a huge issue. Yes, it will help determine the seeds for the eventual groupings but other than that, having 9 votes during nominations doesn't mean you'll win out against someone who only had 3, once the actual tournament voting begins.
Key

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 5:33 pm Reply with quote
marie-antoinette wrote:
For nominations, this is likely true since people won't be voting for a character they aren't familiar with. However, since this is just nominations, I don't think it's a huge issue. Yes, it will help determine the seeds for the eventual groupings but other than that, having 9 votes during nominations doesn't mean you'll win out against someone who only had 3, once the actual tournament voting begins.

Very true; last tournament one of the Semifinalists was on the cut line at the end of the Nominations phase. Besides, even though they all come from popular (for ANN forums) source material, the quality of the current top four nominees as dramatic improvement cases is, I think, indisputable: Fakir, Youko, Simon, and Spirited Away's Chihiro. I'd put all four of these as top seeds in their respective brackets without a second thought and think that they'd make an awesome Final Four, but I won't rule out that one or two of them could be beaten before that point.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 15 of 28