• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sword Art Online to Air on Toonami Starting in August

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 5:35 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
As for Aniplex's DVDs/Blu-rays... I'll see if I can rig one of my players to play the UK or Australian releases. Like hell I'm paying those prices. Why can't Aniplex's releases cost the same as their Baccano Blu-ray set (26 episodes for $50)?

Baccanos box set came out a long time after its Japanese release, and it wasn't even a popular series in Japan to begin with.. so theres not much worry about reverse importation. While with SAO, they are bringing over one of the most popular anime in the last couple years within a month or two of Japanese release. Releasing it at a lower price point would just be inviting reverse importation.

I just hope Aniplex does cheaper re-releases down the road or sub-licenses their stuff out to other companies like normal. I am willing to wait for something cheaper. You'd have to be out of your mind to pay $90 for 7 episodes.

Although they apparently did see enough value in the Baccano Blu-ray rights to keep them for themselves. Even if FUNi didn't want them, I doubt Aniplex would've bothered at all if FUNi's DVDs didn't sell well.

Aniplex's older stuff is beginning to go OOP. I wonder what will happen to Durarara once the DVDs are all gone (RightStuf has already sold out of Vol. 1). Honestly, if Aniplex having these titles is only a couple-year thing while reverse importation risks are still high, I wouldn't mind them as much.
Lynx Amali

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 5:37 pm Reply with quote
OK. I get airing it on Toonami/CN. But....
Adult Swim? Isn't that like, missing the show's target by a large margin?

Quote:
Each Blu-ray Box will retail for US$112.98 but will have a store price of US$89.98. Each DVD set will retail for US$49.98 but will have a store price of US$39.98.

Razz
It's really hilarious when I can get a DVD/Blu-Ray combo from Funi for the cost of a base DVD from Ani.

I can't wait to see how good these bonus features are.

I like Aincrad so I just might buy the BD's for that and just jump ship to DVD for the rest because Fairy Dance isn't worth that much. AT ALL.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 6:40 pm Reply with quote
SpacemanHardy wrote:
Regardless, I doubt I'll be buying AoA's [Blue Exorcist] release. They're probably going to ask over $100 a set, so I'll be more than happy to import the Manga UK release instead.

WTK posted prices in the Retail forum. The total in-store sale price will be $280 for the BDs, SRP of $350.
bglassbrook

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 6:43 pm Reply with quote
So does this anouncement mean to imply that Neon Alley is going South in a hurry? Viz (ala WB) won't be the ones releasing the newly dubbed shows, and NA won't be exclusive (for very long) on the Blue Exorcist dub.

Daisuki wil probably also take a hit, as two of their launch series will have yet another free, legit, method of viewing in North America.
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 6:53 pm Reply with quote
Even though I dropped the series after episode 6, I'll watch the entire dub here just to see what it's like...and to kill time.
Divineking

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 7:01 pm Reply with quote
bglassbrook wrote:
So does this anouncement mean to imply that Neon Alley is going South in a hurry? Viz (ala WB) won't be the ones releasing the newly dubbed shows, and NA won't be exclusive (for very long) on the Blue Exorcist dub.

Daisuki wil probably also take a hit, as two of their launch series will have yet another free, legit, method of viewing in North America.

No this probably just means AoA planned to put SAO on Toonami from the start. I doubt this'll have any effect on Blue Exorcist or Fate/Zero and I expect Magi to air on NA unless something unforseeable happens
bleachj0j

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 7:31 pm Reply with quote
bglassbrook wrote:

They've been releasing the shows they own. Every show that has been on NA has been released so far . They never owned BLue Exorcist.
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 7:41 pm Reply with quote
Hot DAMN. Now I know I'm gonna watch Toonami this summer!
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 7:51 pm Reply with quote
AoA can do what they want, will do what they want but they could try being a little honest.

Quote:
Each Blu-ray Box will retail for US$112.98 but will have a store price of US$89.98.
{facepalms} AoA, you're selling them directly and through a second party. There is no MSRP or store price, there just is the price. Don't pretend you're being nice and offering a bargain.

Quote:
Each DVD set will retail for US$49.98 but will have a store price of US$39.98.

So all that junk plus the mere use of BDs more than doubles the price per set? Or is the fear of reverse importation {partially?} less for the DVDs than BDs? 6-7 episode DVDs in four set? Oh yeah, this is familiar because Bandai tried to pull this crap with Code Geass.

I have no interest in the home release and I'm passing on the CN showing after what happened with Durarara!!

What happened? I looked into buying the DVDs...

I have noticed that thanks to AoA, I have been buying a lot more first releases of Funimation, Sentai, Viz and Maiden Japan. Good job!
Kit-Tsukasa

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 8:03 pm Reply with quote
For what it's worth, SAO does have poor script writing in the first half relative to its source material. In contrast, the most boring part of the novel (i.e. arc 2) actually turned out to be an okay watch for the most part. An average title overall though well overhyped and overrated.

However, I see this as being the "modern" .hack//sign if you must and last I checked, .hack//sign did air on Toonami. Maybe that's their goal? It's by no means an outstanding title but it's definitely a good thing that Toonami is trying to pick up more recent (and diverse) titles so that they can keep the "animation quality" argument out of the discussion among the audience. I highly doubt they would be able to throw something like Shinsekai Yori on here but with the confirmation of SAO, I don't see Fate/Zero, Kara no Kyoukai, Bakemonogatari, and/or Madoka too far from here.
vangelionite88

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 8:54 pm Reply with quote
why not.....FATE ZERO, or the fate stay knight series? both infinitely better than sao......
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 8:57 pm Reply with quote
vangelionite88 wrote:
why not.....FATE ZERO, or the fate stay knight series? both infinitely better than sao......

well, apparently Sentai wont play ball with Toonami, so FSN and UBW will never happen
Setsura1

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 8:57 pm Reply with quote
SAO doesn't really seem like a Toonami show.
Mechanical Horror

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 9:22 pm Reply with quote
This is great news. Aniplex titles tend to get solid dubs and it be nice to see if that holds true for SAO (albeit, I have yet to see any of the Neon Alley dubs). Now I can watch the dub version without having to pay the high price for it Twisted Evil .
Animeking1108

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 9:27 pm Reply with quote
Setsura1 wrote:
SAO doesn't really seem like a Toonami show.

Clearly, you weren't around when "Hamtaro" aired.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 5 of 10