• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Japan's Animation Blu-ray Disc Ranking, January 5-11

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 1:22 pm Reply with quote
UBW doing a box is weird, but when other anime go into boxes it's usually a signal of trying to appeal to a larger fanbase in a desperate fashion, like Chihayafuru S2. I'm sure it'll work to a degree, but it's not the kind of thing that makes a low seller into hit, instead more of a less low seller.
gt123

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 3:54 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
UBW doing a box is weird, but when other anime go into boxes it's usually a signal of trying to appeal to a larger fanbase in a desperate fashion, like Chihayafuru S2. I'm sure it'll work to a degree, but it's not the kind of thing that makes a low seller into hit, instead more of a less low seller.

Fate/Zero was a huge success, and that was released as a box for each half as well.
GrayArchon

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 4:34 pm Reply with quote
Mr. Oshawott wrote:
^
Oh...In that case, then perhaps it's performing more optimally than I thought it would under that time span. Anime smile
I'm hoping that Cross Ange will have sold at least 800 copies when it's next week.

Are you unfamiliar with how these lists work? It goes something like this:

-The first volume of a Bluray or DVD release for a series such as Cross Ange is released.
-It sells the bulk of it's sales in the first week as the people really interested in it rush to pick it up.
-It sells smaller and smaller amounts in subsequent weeks as people who didn't get around to buying it do so, people who were waiting to see if it really was worth buying get their answer and decide in favor of buying, and so on, and so forth.
-Sooner or later it sells too few for the record to be placed on lists such as these, and it's further sales become unknown to us.
-Subsequent volumes sell less than the first volume, as the first volume typically has the best promotional incentives to buy it, and people's enthusiasm for a series may fade over time, other priorities for their money may come up, and so on.
-When all's said and done, people will average the overall sales, but it's still common to see people cite series sales that are only for the first volume.

So to date, Cross Ange is known to have sold 7,883 Blu-ray copies of volume 1, over the course of the last three weeks. 619 of those copies were sold in the third week.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 4:51 pm Reply with quote
GrayArchon wrote:
So to date, Cross Ange is known to have sold 7,883 Blu-ray copies of volume 1 ...

plus 648 dvd copies for a total of 8,531 discs.
Touma

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 4:57 pm Reply with quote
Mr. Oshawott wrote:
I'm hoping that Cross Ange will have sold at least 800 copies when it's next week.

I'm guessing that was a typo and you really meant eight thousand copies.
That seems like a good possibility as it needs only 117 more to reach 8000.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 5:53 pm Reply with quote
^
Yes, it was a typo on my part. I've edited my earlier post to fix that.
My sincere apologies for the confusion everyone. Anime smile + sweatdrop
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 5:49 am Reply with quote
Frozen -- 26 weeks
So that officially marks half a year continuously in the Top 10 Charts.
It's like the Attack on Titan GN v.1 on the weekly NY Times manga best-sellers list.
Let's see if it can last as long as AoT.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2