• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Rokka: Braves of the Six Flowers

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ahirue

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 2:48 pm Reply with quote
Pidgeot18 wrote:
The rules for activating the barrier also require that you put your hand on one of the pedestals and say something, so remote activation shouldn't be possible.

Oh yeah, I'd forgotten that part. I still think Nachetanya's the most suspicious, though. If I had to pick a second choice for barrier activation culprit, I'd either go with a third party not among the Braves, or Chamot. (Partially because she's the only one who showed up at the temple alone other than Adlet so everyone else has at least a weak alibi, and partially because she's the one I'd most like to see booted from the group, lol.)
Tacetis

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 3:00 pm Reply with quote
Yttrbio wrote:
Tacetis wrote:
Without spoiling anything, I can tell you that the whole situation will not have them in one room for the rest of the series. Anything more would be spoilers though.
The thing you wrote is also spoilers.

By barest definition. If it is actually a concern that I said definitively that the rest of the season isn't in one room, I apologize.
Tenebrae

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 3:02 pm Reply with quote
[quote="Pidgeot18"]
Ahirue wrote:
It's also worth noting that Adlet does seem to be misremembering something--as I recall, he didn't see the activation chamber immediately after blowing the doors open: he had to fight those golems first. My recollection of that episode is a bit foggy, but it should be possible for someone to sneak in and out of that room while Adlet was otherwise indisposed

Yes, he was busy with the golems first, then the demon-posing-as-priestess got his attention (purposefully?) by transforming back into its demon form and running away. Adlet was about to give chase, but the mist rose up. His back was turned towards the door all the while, so anyone quick on their feet could have snuck in - if invisible, as soon as the golems rushed out.

Since it was pointed out that one pretty much needs to be there in person to activate the barrier, it doesn't seem likely any of the heroes did it. It doesn't look to me like there was enough time for anyone to slip out without Adlet noticing. Time is a malleable thing in anime though - we could very well be given a flashback later where the culprit slowly slips out of the temple while Adlet is staring blankly out into the misty forest.
AnimeAddict2014

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 5:24 pm Reply with quote
interesting...so just introducing oneself is a good way to figure out who's the fake one ? Rolling Eyes
Iron Maw

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 5:31 pm Reply with quote
One-Eye wrote:

2. Hans is totally annoying to me with the whole nyah thing. The only thing that would be more annoying would be if his character was a cat girl. At least they didn't rehash that trope. On the other hand, why does anyone trust what he says.

They aren't just trusting what he says, Mora who also familiar with the Saint of Seals abilities as the "Head Saint" also confirmed what he was saying is true. His information is being vouched for.
Wingbeats

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 5:45 pm Reply with quote
So much interesting discussion, and conjecture! Way to go Rokka - making a mostly-talky anime super interesting! Can definitely tell the Spice n Wolf guy wrote this.

I'm still loving this show, for sure. I noticed some discussion of "what if the 7th is legit chosen by the goddess?" but I remember that the goddess split her own power into six. Perhaps splitting power into seven wouldn't be the best idea....yeah one more Brave, but each are weaker in turn? Hmmmm.

Anyways, I want next week to roll around and I want more!
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 6:24 pm Reply with quote
Wingbeats wrote:
So much interesting discussion, and conjecture! Way to go Rokka - making a mostly-talky anime super interesting! Can definitely tell the Spice n Wolf guy wrote this.

I'm still loving this show, for sure. I noticed some discussion of "what if the 7th is legit chosen by the goddess?" but I remember that the goddess split her own power into six. Perhaps splitting power into seven wouldn't be the best idea....yeah one more Brave, but each are weaker in turn? Hmmmm.

Anyways, I want next week to roll around and I want more!

Actually, the Spice & Wolf author didn't write Rokka. The director of the Spice & Wolf anime directed the Rokka anime.

The guy behind Book of Bantorra wrote Rokka.

Anyway, I just read the first two books over the past week (because I was afraid the production was gonna continue being garbage like last episode), so I now know how this mystery ends. At this point, there's no need for me to continue theorizing. I will say that I can't wait to see how the anime shows Hans' fighting style. And Chamot's power, but mostly Hans' fighting style.
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 7:17 pm Reply with quote
Episode 5 has caused me to believe that the traitor is Nashetanya. It is becoming more and more hinted I think that she is trying to provoke Goldov against Adlet. For some reason she keeps flirting with Adlet or talking about him in ways that seem like she is trying to get Goldov riled up, and then we keep seeing reaction shots of Goldov getting riled up. She might be trying to cause one of them to kill the other, or maybe have them kill each other. Once Adlet is dead, maybe no one will be willing to protect Flamie, and Flamie and Chamot will fight to the death. Then there will just be Hans and the Mountain saint lady. In this episode, Hans said he "only kills for money," so since Nashetanya is the princess (and I think her father is the one who hired him to kill the Demon God?) she could just pay him off to kill Mountain lady. Then there is no one left to oppose Demon Lord.

Well, that's my wacky theory at this point.
chex mix

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 7:39 pm Reply with quote
Nachetanya has been my pick since the first episode.

However, did Maura say she had the door key? Because could she not have just gone in and out with it, in that case? Or perhaps I misheard.
Wingbeats

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 7:59 pm Reply with quote
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings wrote:

Actually, the Spice & Wolf author didn't write Rokka. The director of the Spice & Wolf anime directed the Rokka anime.

The guy behind Book of Bantorra wrote Rokka.

Anyway, I just read the first two books over the past week (because I was afraid the production was gonna continue being garbage like last episode), so I now know how this mystery ends. At this point, there's no need for me to continue theorizing. I will say that I can't wait to see how the anime shows Hans' fighting style. And Chamot's power, but mostly Hans' fighting style.

Ah, thanks for the correction. Way to go me, misreading stuff! Or just forgetting stuff. I do that, hah. The writing is definitely great, and the directing is definitely great Smile It's great how much body language can add to a conversation.

I bet all the novel-readers are sitting here reading the discussions here and on CR and snickering. Like "heeheehee we knoooooow and you dooon't" and laughing at our wild conjecture....

I'm tempted to check out the novel but I think I want to see all the anime first. I like (and also hate) the suspense each week!
bahamut623

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 7:59 pm Reply with quote
Nachetanya seems the most likely candidate at this point. Her little fainting spell was odd, but most of all the new ED and her little wink are super suspicious. But that all might be a red herring.

Anyway, I'm really loving what this show has turned into. I was totally just expecting it to be a fun, if not especially memorable, JRPG type of story. It definitely feels a lot like Bantorra to me. Both seemed to be generic anime fantasy worlds, and then eventually showed themselves to be much more layered than they appeared.

Also, the change to a darker OP and ED remind me of how the Madoka ending changed after the shows true nature was revealed.
One-Eye

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 8:04 pm Reply with quote
chex mix wrote:
Nachetanya has been my pick since the first episode.

However, did Maura say she had the door key? Because could she not have just gone in and out with it, in that case? Or perhaps I misheard.

Yes she did have a key. The weird thing is how useful was that since Adlet was able to blow the lock open? The demons/fiends also had access to gunpowder why couldn't they blow it open and use another fiend/human hybrid to enter? I might be remembering wrong, but I got the impression that Flamie wasn't the only hybrid.

Iron Maw wrote:
They aren't just trusting what he says, Mora who also familiar with the Saint of Seals abilities as the "Head Saint" also confirmed what he was saying is true. His information is being vouched for.

First of all I'm not accusing Hans. It is a little suspicious at this point that he started to direct the inquiry, but that could just be a red herring. I pointed out that he could be lying because he has something to hide or because he's trying to put pressure on the group, in particular Adlet in this instance to figure out who the real imposter is (stress might make the guilty party break). Second, the generalities are being vouched for as in the Saint of Seals can do this and this. Knowledge that Mora has and Hans has as part of his occupation. This doesn't mean that Mora can cast seals or knows more than general knowledge of them. According to Hans part of his job is to infiltrate places which means he could have gotten into the place before hand or after Adlet opened the temple. He says that he has experience with seals (isn't that just a tiny bit suspicious?), which means he possibly knows how to bypass and maybe keep the doors open. The assassin could be telling the absolute truth or he could be twisting it a bit. Again I'm not saying its him. Right now it doesn't seem that everybody has an iron tight alibi which makes for great mystery. All I was pointing out was that we shouldn't take his explanations at face value.
maxwell3094

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 8:49 pm Reply with quote
ChibiKangaroo wrote:
In this episode, Hans said he "only kills for money," so since Nashetanya is the princess (and I think her father is the one who hired him to kill the Demon God?) she could just pay him off to kill Mountain lady.

Well, that's my wacky theory at this point.

Just a slight correction that they are 2 different kings. The king that Hans went to is the king of the area that more or less borders the demon territory. The world isn't all a part of the same kingdom in this show.
One-Eye wrote:
According to Hans part of his job is to infiltrate places which means he could have gotten into the place before hand or after Adlet opened the temple. He says that he has experience with seals (isn't that just a tiny bit suspicious?), which means he possibly knows how to bypass and maybe keep the doors open.

I think your confusing what Hans said about this specific door and what he said about his past experience with similar seals. The catch to THIS door is that it CAN'T close again. When he mentioned seals that drop bars or doors that close and stay shut he was talking about his past experience with different seals.
meiam

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 9:00 pm Reply with quote
I hope the answer isn't that someone sneaked in while Adlet was fighting monster, that would require the person to run in, without being seen, then insider activate the barrier (would require the barrier to be actionable very quickly) then run out, again without being seen. Adlet was fighting the guardian for just a few second, so it'd be kinda of a stretch for anyone to go in and out. Someone could have invisibility power, but that'd be pretty boring answer, imo.

I suppose another possibility is that the person sneaked in, then stayed there and either escape just to come back or never walked out. Don't quite remember how all the other character were introduced atm, did they all walk in?
One-Eye

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 9:42 pm Reply with quote
maxwell3094 wrote:
One-Eye wrote:
According to Hans part of his job is to infiltrate places which means he could have gotten into the place before hand or after Adlet opened the temple. He says that he has experience with seals (isn't that just a tiny bit suspicious?), which means he possibly knows how to bypass and maybe keep the doors open.

I think your confusing what Hans said about this specific door and what he said about his past experience with similar seals. The catch to THIS door is that it CAN'T close again. When he mentioned seals that drop bars or doors that close and stay shut he was talking about his past experience with different seals.

Yea, I could be not remembering it right, but it still doesn't invalidate what I was saying which is that he has experience with seals which could allow him to bypass it. I mean Adlet didn't have a problem bypassing it with a small bomb, so a guy whose profession is getting into places and has experience with seals would be easily stymied? It doesn't really matter much at this time, though I'm half tempted to rewatch all the episodes for some more clues (which means the show is doing a good job). Just saying, I'm not convinced that he's the imposter, but I'm not willing to write him off either.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 8 of 28