• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
World War Witches

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AnneAlmgren

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:28 pm Reply with quote
"Night Witches" is the English translation of Nachthexen, a World War II German nickname (Russian Ночные ведьмы, Nochnye Vedmy) for the women military aviators of the 588th Night Bomber Regiment, known later as the 46th "Taman" Guards Night Bomber Aviation Regiment, of the Soviet Air Forces. Though women were initially barred from combat, Soviet Premier Joseph Stalin issued an order on October 8, 1941 to deploy three women's air force units, including the 588th regiment.[1] The regiment, formed by Colonel Marina Raskova and led by Major Yevdokia Bershanskaya, was made up entirely of women volunteers in their late teens and early twenties.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 2:20 am Reply with quote
Silly article, but I love it! Sort of like the stupid "Megashark vs Crocosaurus" thing a few years back. As for me, I'd say Izetta being a pacifist at heart would lose and Tanya would whip her like Sophie did. SHE was German too! Twisted Evil
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:05 am Reply with quote
Full disclosure: I haven't seen Izetta and never will, but I have read many of the episode plot summaries, so...

If both Tanya and Izetta had knew each other's general abilities and had time to prepare: Tanya would crush izetta. Izetta, from what I've read, is much quicker and has more easily usable firepower. However, Tanya is a far better tactician. Plus, her firepower is pretty impressive as well, and if she had time to plan her engagement, she would almost certainly end up surprising Izetta some absurdly lethal manner. Tanya has a soldier's mentality, Izetta doesn't.

Honestly, I don't think it'd be even close unless they surprised one another and had no previous knowledge of the other's ability. If that were to happen, Izetta would likely take out Tanya before Tanya had time to formulate some sort of tactic to counter Izetta's strengths.

Izetta may be powerful, but Tanya is *scary*.
Millhi

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:01 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:

It didn't forget about it at all; Strike Witches did get mentioned as an example of militarized magic. The 501st doesn't figure into the rest because its series are well out of the "past couple of seasons" time frame.

Sounds fair enough as Yoshika would beat all of them listed in the article. Cool
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:16 pm Reply with quote
GoldenPincers wrote:
Between Tanya and Izetta, I would say Izetta wins, because of her superiority in versatility, speed, and attack frequency. Tanya has more destructive power, but her most powerful spells take time to charge, while Izetta's powers don't need charging. Izetta can fly at over 700 km/h (the speed of the fastest WWII planes) and I doubt Tanya can fly that fast.

While Tanya's more destructive powers take time some time to charge, they don't take that long. You can time it from the scene in episode 1. A direct hit is not required, as it looks to be as powerful as a tactical nuke, might be even more powerful but it is hard to scale an air burst without framing from the ground.

Others have already mentioned the limitations and drawbacks to Izetta's powers.

Kinda agree with the reviewer on this one.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:54 pm Reply with quote
even if tanya's attacks take time to charge, it does nto mean she has to stay stationary while they do, because the times we have seen her use them, she does not need to move around.

and regarding izzeta's "speed" ,let's assume for a moment that she can fly faster than tanya, that still does not make her faster in combat , as we never saw izetta doing the sharp turns tanya does.
moonhawk81

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:52 pm Reply with quote
While the 501st might not have had their own vehicle of late, they were constantly mentioned--and even had minor appearances in--Brave Witches. In particular, they are held in awe by members of the 502nd because of their successful destruction of a Neuroi nest. Surely that presence should make them relevant to the current conversation. All of which is my long-winded intro to saying that Major Mio Sakamoto could whip all the rest combined. . . Wink
Takamachi Ryoko

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:55 pm Reply with quote
Since when did ANN became SA Very Happy ?

With that said, this is an interesting match up and it made me googled "Izetta vs Tanya" then this pretty little image popped up.

Submit this to SA, they'll make it into a Death Battle.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:38 pm Reply with quote
we all know that tanya would show izetta a good time, since tanya has an eye for voluptuous women.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 7:48 pm Reply with quote
EPIC WITCH BATTLES OF HISTORY!

IZETTA

VS

TANYA

Who Won? Who's Next?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2