• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Kobe's 'Anime Street' to Shut Down in June

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 12:01 am Reply with quote
The combination of bad luck and overdue payments have finally did Anime Street in...
I wonder how much of an impact its shutdown will have on the itasha scene...
mixedfish

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 12:59 am Reply with quote
It always felt to me that these niche Anime streets/malls were invincible despite almost being ghost towns during weekday afternoon. You can go to weird places like Nakano Broadway, and seemingly they can survive without doing much.
Wandering Samurai

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 1:58 am Reply with quote
The big anime area in the city of Kobe is San Plaza right by Sannomiya station. There's card shops, manga stores, figurine shops and so on. The real heart of Kobe is Sannomiya, so if you're not in that area things may prove a little bit more difficult.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
garlogan78

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 6:52 am Reply with quote
mixedfish wrote:
It always felt to me that these niche Anime streets/malls were invincible despite almost being ghost towns during weekday afternoon. You can go to weird places like Nakano Broadway, and seemingly they can survive without doing much.

I feel like that applies to almost everything in Japan. So many restaurants, cobblers, massage parlors, anything really, are owned by families or people who rent out a small space. They all seem dead 99 percent of the time but never shut down. I don't get how the owners make enough money to stay open, much less turn a profit and like...thrive.
Polycell

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 10:04 am Reply with quote
Anime gives me the impression that almost everybody's a part timer, which would make it easy to schedule people only for the busy times and avoid unnecessary labor costs during the slow periods(like how graveyard shifts are virtual ghost towns in twenty-four hour businesses). I also remember getting the impression of it not being unusual for small businesses to have a second floor for the owner to live in, eliminating the morning commute and the second rent of a separate abode.
partially

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 9:28 pm Reply with quote
Polycell wrote:
Anime gives me the impression that almost everybody's a part timer, which would make it easy to schedule people only for the busy times and avoid unnecessary labor costs during the slow periods(like how graveyard shifts are virtual ghost towns in twenty-four hour businesses). I also remember getting the impression of it not being unusual for small businesses to have a second floor for the owner to live in, eliminating the morning commute and the second rent of a separate abode.

You do realize that anime is almost exclusively about the young adult age bracket, like 12-25. People in that age bracket anywhere are generally part-timers. I doubt Japan has particularly more than anywhere else.

And when anime does do people out of this bracket it characterizes them as either losers or down-on-their-luck, looking for a break.

Typically a full-time employee would not be able to partake in the adventures of the typical anime romp; they don't have that much free time.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 2:50 pm Reply with quote
I wonder if this might be a product of mismanagement or botched marketing. Definitely, it comes across as something a western anime fan might imagine Japan to be like, so could it have worked if they played it up as an overseas fan's tourist destination? That's ultimately what Pat's and Geno's did in Philadelphia: The cheesesteak restaurants are thriving mainly on tourists.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1