• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GhostD

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:03 am Reply with quote
Well I knew that Shizu's lack of screen time would be the main issue some people would have with her and I do agree to a point but at least it didn't affect the impact of her passing.

Its also worth noting that during the sequence where Shizu was reuniting with her 2 friends they instead point her to her mother and she reverts back to a child because she was still a child when she was separated from her mother during WW2. It adds even more feels to the whole thing. And spoiler[anyone who has read the web novels would know that despite being gone, Shizu left an impression and legacy that lasted until the story's end for better or worse.]
steelmirror

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:46 pm Reply with quote
GhostD wrote:
Well I knew that Shizu's lack of screen time would be the main issue some people would have with her and I do agree to a point but at least it didn't affect the impact of her passing.

I thought it was a very well put together episode. My problem with it wasn't anything about the episode itself, but with the fact that here was a full episode dedicated to parting with a character who has had less development than the main character's dog. She wasn't a bad character, she was just a character that I never got to know or care about, so when the show was pulling out all the stops with giving her a touching departure it just made me all the more conscious of how unearned all the supposed pathos was, for me at least.

Now I won't say that what the show wanted to do was impossible. Planet With last season was masterful at making short dream sequences that revealed a lot about side characters with minimal screentime or development, and making them legitimately affecting and memorable. So I get what they were trying to do this week, it just felt too artificial to really work for me.
GhostD

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 12:01 am Reply with quote
steelmirror wrote:
GhostD wrote:

I thought it was a very well put together episode. My problem with it wasn't anything about the episode itself, but with the fact that here was a full episode dedicated to parting with a character who has had less development than the main character's dog. She wasn't a bad character, she was just a character that I never got to know or care about, so when the show was pulling out all the stops with giving her a touching departure it just made me all the more conscious of how unearned all the supposed pathos was, for me at least.

Now I won't say that what the show wanted to do was impossible. Planet With last season was masterful at making short dream sequences that revealed a lot about side characters with minimal screentime or development, and making them legitimately affecting and memorable. So I get what they were trying to do this week, it just felt too artificial to really work for me.

Thats sort of what I meant by lack of screen time though. Development would be a better term but heres the thing. spoiler[Thats really all the screen time i.e development Shizu has even in the novels while she was alive so developing her character any further would only occur after her passing. Any future mentioning of her would be when talking about her students and her past or just remembering her via flashbacks.] In a way that would also count as character development but I dont think it will do much.
GhostD

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 2:14 pm Reply with quote
This ep reminds me once again why I love Miho Okasaki as Rimuru. I had hoped the pacing would speed up a little but I guess not. Id say this arc will take another 6-7 eps to finish if the first arc was anything to go by.
Cam0

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 4:30 pm Reply with quote
Considering how often LN adaptions are rushed to crap, I really appreciate the slower pacing. I like Rimuro's new human form.
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 5:45 pm Reply with quote
I'm not familiar with the source material, but the pace of the anime taken as a thing-unto-itself seems fine to me.

But I am a bit worried that the main cast still consists of just Rimuru and he's not a particularly interesting person. Shizu was reasonably compelling even given the brief time she had to be developed, and I was hoping she'd have a chance to develop a watchable dynamic with Rimuru, but it doesn't seem that's gonna happen, heh. Respect to the mangaka for taking an unusual route with the main character's love interest; I do hope the main cast gains some more faces soon, though!
GhostD

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 12:53 am Reply with quote
NeverConvex wrote:
I'm not familiar with the source material, but the pace of the anime taken as a thing-unto-itself seems fine to me.

But I am a bit worried that the main cast still consists of just Rimuru and he's not a particularly interesting person. Shizu was reasonably compelling even given the brief time she had to be developed, and I was hoping she'd have a chance to develop a watchable dynamic with Rimuru, but it doesn't seem that's gonna happen, heh. Respect to the mangaka for taking an unusual route with the main character's love interest; I do hope the main cast gains some more faces soon, though!

You just saw those new faces though
Zof

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 3:09 pm Reply with quote
This episode was the "set" episode where it set up the ball hanging perfectly two feet above the net. Next week will be the "spike" episode that gets us up off our feet.

There's a damn good reason this show is so insanely popular. It's good. It's very very good. More importantly, unlike the last EIGHT of these, it's actually NOT a harem Anime for once. So EVERYONE can enjoy the magic of watching essentially a kind hearted God evolve, without feeling left out or marginalized. That slime could be anyone. More importantly, he can make friends with anyone. He made friends with all of us pretty easily.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 6:22 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I'm curious as to why their weapons and clothing have more of a Japanese visual style when everyone else in this world seems to have more of a Western fantasy look. It could just be an arbitrary character design choice, but I'm hoping there's more to it than that.

Given that Rimuru noticed they were carrying katana, I'd say it's more than an arbitrary design.

You'd think watching a character become ever more overpowered would be really boring, but they've managed to make it marvelously entertaining. I'm very much enjoying watching his playthrough of Forge of Empires. Smile
Zof

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 6:34 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Quote:
I'm curious as to why their weapons and clothing have more of a Japanese visual style when everyone else in this world seems to have more of a Western fantasy look. It could just be an arbitrary character design choice, but I'm hoping there's more to it than that.

Given that Rimuru noticed they were carrying katana, I'd say it's more than an arbitrary design.

You'd think watching a character become ever more overpowered would be really boring, but they've managed to make it marvelously entertaining. I'm very much enjoying watching his playthrough of Forge of Empires. Smile

It's because he's not just got the rcon passwd (very old very leet reference). He's having to figure out ways to evolve and combine skills to continue to grow, and there were more than a few formative moments where it all could have gone very different, so it feels... close enough to fair for us to bullshit ourselves into accepting it and just enjoying the ride.
Fred Lougee

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:23 pm Reply with quote
Zof wrote:
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Quote:

It's because he's not just got the rcon passwd (very old very leet reference). He's having to figure out ways to evolve and combine skills to continue to grow, and there were more than a few formative moments where it all could have gone very different, so it feels... close enough to fair for us to bullshit ourselves into accepting it and just enjoying the ride.

And if you can explain the significance of the letter string "tsgddytd" without Google I'll be impressed.

I guess "close enough to fair" as you say is what separates it from every other isekai where the MC is given an unfair advantage, like Smartphone, makes me maybe a little more willing to BS myself into accepting it and enjoying the ride. I know that where Smartphone what really got under my skin, no matter that I initially wanted to like the show, was that everything the MC needed was basically handed to him. Not just the phone but also that he was able to use all of the different types of magic innately when nobody in that whole world had ever been able to use more than two. He was pals with God and God was making it too easy for him. How boring.
GhostD

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:52 pm Reply with quote
With Gabil and the lizardmen's introduction things are moving forward nicely. Now the question is how long will it take before things get intense. Personally I was hoping Jun Fukushima would bring a bit of Kazuma into Gabil's character but thats just me.
Merida

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:32 am Reply with quote
Am i'm the only one who liked the ogres' looks better before their upgrade?

I didn't mind the exposition too much but i'm also a bit worried about Gabiru, he could be interesting or incredibly annoying...anyhow, i'm really looking forward to this new arc.
S0crates

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:49 am Reply with quote
Merida wrote:
Am i'm the only one who liked the ogres' looks better before their upgrade?

I didn't mind the exposition too much but i'm also a bit worried about Gabiru, he could be interesting or incredibly annoying...anyhow, i'm really looking forward to this new arc.

The Prince most definitely got a downgrade. The rest I'm ok with (though to be fair, they didn't change that much).
Treecko Tempo

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 1:59 pm Reply with quote
Did a scene get cut when Rimuru was naming the Ogres or did Rimuru just think up the names for the Ogres and then they had their names which caused him to fall asleep. That scene confused me with how it played out could someone please give me an explanation for what happened.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 5 of 22