• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
My Teen Romantic Comedy SNAFU Climax (TV 3).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2020 7:18 am Reply with quote
Yukino tried the "catch his heart on his sleeve" maneuver and Hachiman had to pry her fingers off of him.... which actually made me think of something else; What would Hachiman do if he ever caught Yui crying? The closest he got was the end of episode 5 of the first season when they didn't know each other well and even then, her face left Hachiman looking poleaxed. Since then, he's been very careful not to push that button, either by pretending he didn't hear her or by steering the conversation to less dangerous waters. It also makes me think of The Look Yui gave him in season 2 just as he was going to sacrifice his social standing for Iroha.

He wants something genuine but he doesn't want Yui to cry which would be genuine, that is, the emotions behind them would be genuine as opposed to Yukino's manipulations which could be either conscious or unconscious; Emotional manipulations runs deep in that family. He doesn't want to see Yui crying and she doesn't want Hachiman to catch herself in such a state. It's something of a problem. Then contrast that with this scene.

And then there's the conversation Yukino and Hachiman had during the sleeve tugging. "... I just thought I should tell you..." Hachiman turns around interest piqued. "Thank you for your help today. And not just what you did today. For everything you've done up to now. I'm sorry for all the trouble I've caused you."

Hachiman sighs and turns away for a moment to look at his reflection.
"That isn't something to apologize for. If you're talking about trouble, I caused quite a bit more of it."

So I'm not the only one waiting for the apology for the car accident? Come on, Yukino, there's two episodes left.
Time to join the human race.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 1:10 am Reply with quote
So, kind of looks official that Hachiman has chosen Yukino over Yui, and even essentially confessed to her. Yukino did seem a little annoyed that Hachiman could not actually say it plainly though.

And Hachiman seems to have publicly revealed the dummy interschool prom, all for the purpose that Yukino's mother would have to acknowledge it if Yukino made it work, rather than maybe not thinking the success of the normal one was convincing enough.
ACxS

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 4:45 am Reply with quote
11:

DuskyPredator wrote:
Yukino did seem a little annoyed that Hachiman could not actually say it plainly though.

My Teen Romantic Comedy SNAFU: a story about three socially awkward high school kids who, for the life of them, can't speak normally even among themselves. #lol

Oh right, the prom. PTA calls it bogus. Hachiman admits it's bogus. But he points out it's volunteer stuff (read: not PTA-endorsed) so they don't have to worry if it's bogus. Haruno can't let that one slide even if they have nothing to lose from prom bogus. So Hachiman ropes Yukino to see through the end of the bogus prom. Yukino never backs down from a challenge, bogus or not. Yukino's mom had to let this whole case go, and as Yukino thinks, because it's all becoming too bogus for her to discuss further.

#bogus
Kuzu

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 4:54 am Reply with quote
Hachiman straight up said that they're terrible at communicating their feelings, so yea this roundabout way of confessing is pretty in-character for him, and Yukino is probably the only who would have accepted a confession like that.

Yukino’s Mom just doesn't want to deal with this anymore, she's getting the same headaches that her daughter gets from dealing with Hachiman's bullshit. It really is surprising she just went along with it with basically "Don't screw up" to Yukino.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 8:24 am Reply with quote
I thought Yukino's Mom was, ultimately, pretty upbeat about it all. Despite what was said, she still could've put a stop to it if she'd really wanted to do so. There was, I felt, a key point in that meeting: that part where Mrs. Yukinoshita (or maybe it was Haruno) says, "You will be involving yourself in our family's affairs." This is a necessary step for Hachiman to take if he wants to date Yukino. Her family is Serious Business, and he has to be able to demonstrate that he can handle that, and he did, twice now, IMO. I think that's Mrs. Yukinoshita's impression as well, since she effectively allowed it. Also, Shizuka, representing the school, thought so too.

Hachiman was clearly talking to Yukino about their relationship through the meeting, which set the stage for his later confession and her acceptance of it (which I thought was well done).

All and all, an excellent episode. I feel bad for Yui, but she had to have seen this coming and hoped that somehow it could be put off. Now it's done, and everyone can move forward. Unlike Hachiman and Yukino, though, I think Yui will have no problem finding someone to be with in the not-too-distant future.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 10:40 am Reply with quote
Episode 11
I feel like I'm going to throw up.
This series BOMBED hard.
Kuzu

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 12:57 pm Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
Episode 11
This series BOMBED hard.

I know you've been a vocal Yukino critic, but you didn't actually think Hachiman was gonna choose Yui did you?
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 12:17 pm Reply with quote
Kuzu wrote:
Animegomaniac wrote:
Episode 11
This series BOMBED hard.

I know you've been a vocal Yukino critic, but you didn't actually think Hachiman was gonna choose Yui did you?

No, I was already spoiled by the other thread and in series, when Yui's mother talked to Hachiman and how he'd look back at this time with nostalgia as if it will never happen again. I was hoping the series would fix the problems the LN series had. What I didn't expect was an anticlimactic "Climax", a climax which I guess happened at the end of season 2. Also I didn't expect to hate Hachiman by the end of it either. This show actually made me respect what happened in Just Because as at least there the guy broke the girl's heart but also broke ties completely, regardless of how well they got on as friends. But here?

Yui wants to doormat herself herself as a professional third wheel and Hachiman is eager to wipe his feet because it's what she thinks is the best she can get. Great guy, no looking back now. It's not his job to see she's not miserable, she can tend to her own happiness, it's not like he's still her friend. Awkward...

In the end, here's this series as briefly as possible:
Yukino's karma ran over Yui's dogma. Good God, I never thought I'd ever find anywhere where that phrase actually applies.

I still have questions though. Why does it seem Yukino ended the Service Club because she had to end the Service Club as a place for them to hang out together... even as they Club spent the majority of its time hanging out between applicants? It seems so arbitrary, I could understand it if she gave a definite reason other than "Because". Couldn't they become a Study Service Club in their Senior year?

Also, shouldn't this part of series happen in their final year? It's a little premature for "We're all going our separate ways!" doom and gloom when it's only by choice at this point.

Did Yui EVER tell Hachiman exactly how she felt or was it all implied?

Three seasons over more than five years and this was the best they could muster, it's just pathetic. A three way love confession where finally all their emotions come to the surface for the group, ESPECIALLY YUKINO. Yui telling Hachiman how she felt, he telling her how he feels and she breaks down crying in HIS ARMS RATHER THAN HER MOTHER'S. HACIMAN MANNING UP AND TAKING SOME RESPONSIBILITY rather than being a willing pawn between the two girls. Nah, why do that when we can have Yui still hide her feelings, Yukino remain enigmatic and Hachiman not having to say "Love" out loud.

I mean THAT WOULD BE CHARACTER DEVELOPMENT.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 8:31 am Reply with quote
Hey, Animegomaniac, remember how at the beginning of this season you argued that Yukinon having a photo of her and Hachiman under her pillow didn't mean she actually liked him romantically? Heh-heh-heh, that didn't age too well.

Look, over the three seasons, I've battered my head against the wall in frustration over the obtuseness of the three leads (and other characters for that matter), but the climax was in keeping with the premise of the show: three socially awkward teens awkwardly being social with each other. You call what you'd like to see "character development" but I'd call it "being out of character." Earlier Hachiman would have died a thousand deaths before making that roundabout "confession" to Yukinon, so within the context of the show, that is development. Trying to impose "real life" or "naturalistic" behaviour on a show so rife with artifice (and I don't mean that in a negative way) as SNAFU is somewhat pointless.
ACxS

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2020 2:41 am Reply with quote
12, final:

Feels strange to see Yukino and Hachiman behaving like newlyweds. Anyway!

6.5 / 10. Not sure if I want to give it a 7 or not but I don't wanna think too much about some number.

To be honest, I don't care that much about this show. Or should I say, I'm not that emotionally invested in it. The previous season was more than 5 years ago, and since then I've kinda moved on. Even almost forgotten about it. Had this season come out a few years earlier, I still would have some vested interest in it. I thought the big change happened after first season, when the second season suddenly took a change in direction. Is it the change in production studio? Maybe. Was second season better? I thought so.

But a 5-year gap? That's long... long enough for me to forget almost all the details and nuances—and god, there's so much nuances—from the previous season. I get how this is a story about romance among 3 socially awkward people who can't talk straight. Premise hasn't changed over the years, so that's good.

I have mixed feelings for the brand of boke-tsukkomi humor. A hit-of-miss for most parts, and sometimes the show's too zealous about it. And I've never liked the type of humor, but I can roll with it. And yes, the whole circumlocutive and roundabout speeches? Basically the premise of the show, and yes, it can be a bit vexing. Maybe even pretentious, but tolerable for me.

Final episode was tastefully done. Frankly, I'm just happy it's ended (for good, I think?). If so, that makes this season the grand finale. I'll be more than happy to move on.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2020 5:14 am Reply with quote
Yukino decided to show guts and be the first one to say she like the other, I guess showing her character growth too. Yui also showed guts being right upfront with her feelings, not bottle it up in some dramatic fashion and want to continue her friendship. And also all that growth in Hachiman letting himself be an inconvenience by asking everyone to lend a hand with the interschool event, all this from a guy who would make himself the bad guy rather than have everyone deal with a problem together. Hachiman even did a pointless bonding trip by inviting all the guys to a sauna visit, all this working great when his teacher eventually recalled his pessimistic words that he looks at back now as cringe. It is some good stuff.

But as ACxS points out, this is a big break between seasons that it is kind of hard to call back the contrast and all the mini-plot points that would make these points important. To be honest I am especially blurry on the details of what Yukino was trying to prove, how it related with how she ended up in the services club in the first place, and what her big growth was. On that line, I think that her main character growth was meant to be in this season, but she was so absent in it by deciding that she needed to do things without Hachiman and Yui, that I kind of feel like we missed it all. We were largely with Hachiman this season, but it kind of feels like all of his growth actually happened in the earlier seasons, this was post Hachiman seeing the error of his thinking and actions, and just acting on what he had already learned. Which although is good in itself, is the problem when recalling what exactly happened in the first two seasons feels so faint due to the passage of time. Without being expected to go back and watch them, it would have done with some recaps to refresh the audience and not expect them to just remember.

Along these lines, for a show that seems especially aimed at undoing ideas of acting pretentious as the pretentious outsider who thinks they are better than the normies, it sure is still pretentious. Using all of these complicated conversations underneath of conversations that you need to understand the fairly complex let alone the subtext. It so kind of avoids having us be sure that it said something, like whether Yui actually confessed, that it kind of blows me away when it actually openly said things in the last episode. I guess just confirming how it often could be vague. Still semi did it in regards to whether Iroha made it clear whether she likes Hachiman it kind of not feeling cool that we are meant to ignore how with words she actually is pretty frank that she is not interested, this based on the subtext where Komachi points out that Iroha's math on reaching 21 would refer to herself and not Yui.

My rating is Decent (6/10), coming down that I didn't lose my time, and I would even say kind of worth seeing in being able to say I finished this franchise, but not quite in the sense that would probably be better to have to dig the previous seasons to watch again and become familiar, which I really did not have the patience to go back and do. Overall I think the series has a good message against how people may have misunderstood it in being cool to be an outcast, in glorifying the idea of being a social martyr, but probably a problem that people misunderstood it in that way. If I could explain my frustration that people were treating early Hachiman like a hero along the lines of Batman, I guess because it was not clear that what he did might have got results but was actually not cool.

Also, the season criminally underused characters like Totsuka, his girly boy character was the sort that I was rather attached to back when it first aired, and considering myself now it is exactly what I wanted now. I want to point out that Totsuka war a towel that covered his chest in the sauna that he is totally a character that blurs the gender divide and we still need more acceptance for damnit. That is all.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 9:34 am Reply with quote
I've been trying to sort out my feelings towards this show for awhile now, because of how much I love, no, loved the first season and how much I was betrayed by whatever those last two episodes were.... though the rot started in the second season with Yukino shutting the club down for "reasons" and shutting it down AGAIN in the third season for "reasons" only to restart it again in her senior year for "reasons".... with Hachiman and Yui wondering what they could do or what they could have done while the real result was that the Formalized club was just Hachiman and Yukino with Yui coming to the table like the loser in a war there to sign a declaration of defeat.

WHY does this paint a picture only I see?

Hachiman shut Yui down in the first season because he didn't understand the situation, fine. And this was after he SHOT her down when Yui was just trying to be his friend.
Hachiman shut Yui down in the final season because he "grew as a character" and this is what keeps circling my mind. When the positions were switched in his middle school year, that's what he wanted to happen to him?

What a jerk.

Anyway, anything after the Kyoto trip from the second season made little or no sense to me, I'm still honestly trying to figure out how Iroha's prom idea became exclusively Yukino's project... I thought Iroha just ordered the Service Club to help make it happen but she "eventually" gave Yukino full ownership of it? "Leadership looks good on a transcript... but... it's not leadership, it's nepotism.

Also, Yukino is her mother's daughter and Haruno is her sister and anyone willing to join those vipers is just a dumbass, plain and simple. Lack of empathy, sense of entitlement, must be love.

No, must be "Writer on board". The series started with so much promise, too, starting with the lesson of "don't judge people by what you want them to be" to [facepalm] ending on it.
leconv

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 11:18 am Reply with quote
People who disliked or hated this serie probably didn't understand it correctly or completly. the major point is that it is first and above all a japanese story. it has this cultural gap that make it very hard to superpose to any other foreign culture. You need to keep that in mind to not fall into the 'comparing' trap. lots of things in this anime are not understandable if you look at it with an occidental point of view.

Another problem are the people 'picking a team' and bitching because their girl didn't win. Wataru Watari is the writer and he has a set story to tell. He probably knew from the begining that yukino would win and Yui would be left heartbroken.

This show, if sometime hard to understand because of all the second degree, is probably the most polished. mature and complete romcom ever! i am personaly very sad it ends. But i enjoyed the journey.
Mayucchi

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 2:37 am Reply with quote
ACxS wrote:
But a 5-year gap? That's long... long enough for me to forget almost all the details and nuances—and god, there's so much nuances—from the previous season. I get how this is a story about romance among 3 socially awkward people who can't talk straight. Premise hasn't changed over the years, so that's good.

For me it’s actually the opposite. I’ve changed a lot in five years personally, so looking back at this cast of awkward high schoolers through my lenses which have changed with age was a very refreshing experience to me.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 5:01 am Reply with quote
leconv wrote:
People who disliked or hated this serie probably didn't understand it correctly or completly. the major point is that it is first and above all a japanese story. it has this cultural gap that make it very hard to superpose to any other foreign culture. You need to keep that in mind to not fall into the 'comparing' trap. lots of things in this anime are not understandable if you look at it with an occidental point of view.

Another problem are the people 'picking a team' and bitching because their girl didn't win. Wataru Watari is the writer and he has a set story to tell. He probably knew from the begining that yukino would win and Yui would be left heartbroken.

This show, if sometime hard to understand because of all the second degree, is probably the most polished. mature and complete romcom ever! i am personaly very sad it ends. But i enjoyed the journey.

The series ends on the line of the title "My romantic comedy life is wrong as I expected" so the author hedged his bets... as I expected. I'm still confused and hurt by what the series did to me personally. I still haven't decided whether I'll throw my season 1 and 2 DVDs away but I know I'll never watch them again, that ship has sailed. Not "ship" literally, just metaphorically; This has nothing to do with the series love triangle but its core themes. Or what I thought were its themes.

In the end, it all just makes me rather sad as I can only fixate on Yui's mom telling Hachiman that he will look back at this time nostalgically because it'll only ever be a memory. It reminds me of past times, people and places I can never return to myself, not regret but just wistful that they're gone except from my memories... Hachiman had options, he was told he'll regret it, he choose. He choose poorly, not what he choose but in the manner he did it.

Favorite line : "You know how I am."
Least favorite action : Frankly Yui, I don't give a damn.
God damn it, he gave a damn just a few episodes earlier, why suddenly was his "empathy" switch turned off? I thought that was what he hated from his middle school experiences but suddenly he's taking that role in someone else life and he doesn't see the irony of his actions playing out the same if not worse in how he shut Yui down completely?

And I just loathed how this series skipped his central issue: Yui and Hachiman interacting after nothing was said or done.
Same class: 11th grade? "? I guess it just ended?" 12 grade, apparently not? Everyone was said to be in the same class but what?
Same club: Obviously not, spelled out by someone in fact.
Same school: Theoretically? Randomly meeting Yukino hall, it happened. Meeting Yui randomly in the hall: It would be awkward so it wouldn't happen?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3