• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Goblin Slayer (TV + movie) (w/ index).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:07 am Reply with quote
Harleyquin wrote:
The Goblin Slayer's achievements are always overshadowed by more illustrious adventurers, but his annihilation of a nest intent on learning the secrets of the blacksmith gives years worth of peace to unsuspecting nearby villages. The lady fencer may retire for good, but she'll hopefully take up a path which will help the Slayer on his travels. On the plus side, the Slayer's reputation is beginning to precede him (the village recognised who he was once they saw the dogtag while the objective of the mission figured out who he was almost immediately). Even if he is doomed to die in his quest for goblin genocide, he'll be remembered by more than just his immediate companions and his neighbours.

I was remembering that some bards that were spreading his tale, but then I thought maybe that was The Witcher, but I think that they are both true.

Toss a coin to your Goblin Slayer.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2023 12:49 am Reply with quote
Original discussion started here.

Will try to review S1 and the movie before S2 premieres in October to get everyone re-hyped. Just starting with screen caps, for now. Got a few other shows I'm considering (some, definitely) to resurrect with more sprucing up. I figure as long as I get the caps up, first, I can always edit the summary and comments in, later. If you end up reading those, that's cool, and thank you.

There are lots of great close-up drawings of Slayer's helmet, which you'll see lots of caps for. You'll probably see lots of goblin gore, too, 'cause eff those freakin' scumbags. Kind of a shame so much of the scenery is stylistically dark, though. It certainly adds to the mood, but results in less fine detail and smaller-sized caps. With Liden Films' recent track record for great production value, here's hoping S2 looks stellar.
----------------------------------

Episode 01: The Fate of Particular Adventurers

Summary:

Young Priestess joins a group of rookie adventurers who decide to raid a goblin-infested cave. But things go terribly wrong when they get ambushed, resulting in all but Priestess either being captured, killed, or raped. A man in full armor, known as Goblin Slayer, appears and saves Priestess. With her help, he slays the remaining goblins, teaching her of their psychology and tactics in the process.

Comments:

Well, for what seemed like a peppy beginning to an easy quest, those unfortunate adventurers didn't know what they were getting into, and it quickly escalated into something really dark. Sucks for them. But I like the brutal twist because so many fantasy titles are on the lighter side, these days, that it's occasionally refreshing to see naive know-it-alls get their hubris limbs hacked off and handed back to them because they took things too lightly. I'm pretty sure this will scar Priestess for the rest of her life. Thankfully, Slayer showed up to prevent the worst.

The depiction of the goblins is pretty interesting. Most other iterations of demi-humans and anthropomorphic beings are just skins for human behavior. But these goblins feel like they're just bad humans with zero redeeming qualities and no moral compass whatsoever. With Slayer slaughtering the infants, it me makes me wonder if there ever was or will be a good goblin somewhere out there. Probably not, because then we'd empathize for them, and that won't make for as compelling dark fantasy action.

Screen Caps:

Last edited by Tony K. on Thu Oct 12, 2023 2:34 pm; edited 3 times in total
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2023 12:52 am Reply with quote

Episode 02: Goblin Slayer

Summary:

Goblin Slayer accompanies his childhood friend, Cow Girl, to the city, and later heads to the Adventurer’s Guild to find work. It is revealed that when he was a young boy, his village was attacked by goblins who nearly killed all the villagers, including Cow Girl's parents and his older sister, who was gang raped, then murdered. Later, Goblin Slayer and Priestess attack a fortress occupied by goblins, burning it down and preventing the goblins from escaping. Elsewhere, a High Elf and her companions are looking for an adventurer named Orcbolg.

Comments:

We get some of the tragic backstory of Slayer and learn why he hates goblins so much. This franchise does not pull its punches, which I love, and I'm totally in for his eternal quest of revenge to eradicate the scum that are goblins. They're like murderous cockroaches, which actually makes me think of Terraformars. I think I got halfway through S1 of that, but never did finish. Maybe I'll go re-check that out.

When I first saw this episode, I thought it was funny that all the characters' names are just their character types. So when I noticed her name was "Cow Girl" I had to chuckle, as there are a lot of connotations you can make for that (a girl on a farm who tends to cows, big boobs like a cow, cow girl the sex position because of her obvious fan service usage). I think Slayer has suffered enough with the rape and murder of his sister, so hopefully nothing terrible happens to Cow Girl, at some point.

But yes, more dead goblins = good.

Screen Caps:

Last edited by Tony K. on Thu Oct 12, 2023 2:34 pm; edited 2 times in total
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2023 12:55 am Reply with quote

Episode 03: Unexpected Visitors

Summary:

High Elf Archer, Dwarf Shaman, and Lizard Priest ask Guild Girl for an adventurer called "Orcbolg" and "Beardcutter," which turns out referring to Goblin Slayer in their races' native tongues. High Elf Archer explains to Goblin Slayer that their races have allied with humans to fight against the resurrected Demon Lord's army and that they want to hire him for a related quest. Priestess also joins them, calling out Goblin Slayer for not asking if she wanted to join.

Comments:

We get an introduction to the rest of the entourage to round out the main cast. And now, we have melee and ranged combat with some healing and support magic. I guess Lizard Priest summoning familiars (almost like a necromancer) can slightly be considered attack magic, but it'd be nice for them to get an actual mage who can control the elements, some day down the line, to fill that role and have a complete team.

Action-wise, there's not a whole lot happening till they get to the actual ruins. What the episode lacks in action, however, it makes up for with a little chemistry-building and comradery for the team. I know ever since Campfire Cooking in Another World I keep proclaiming that food is the ultimate nullifier, but unless you're lactose intolerant, that's a good lookin' piece of cheese, and everybody seemed to like it (go food, way to bring people together!).

Elf Archer seems spunky and that she might have the potential for tsundere qualities, so we'll see how that works out. Dwarf Shaman seems kind of like your typical cheery, party-hardy dwarf and should help keep the group lively. Lizard Priest is interesting in that he seems more reserved, but has this quality of wanting to interact more. Maybe it's because he lived around other Lizard people all his life and finds other races somewhat fascinating? Could be cool if we see more Lizard people, later, just to get some cultural relativism mixed into the series just to see the differences in races and their beliefs.

Screen Caps:

Last edited by Tony K. on Fri Oct 13, 2023 12:21 pm; edited 2 times in total
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2023 12:57 am Reply with quote

Episode 04: The Strong

Summary:

Goblin Slayer's group enters the ruins, where they rescue an elven prisoner, then find a hall of resting goblins. They use sleeping and silence spells to subdue and kill them, but end up alerting their leader, an Ogre, who is also one of the Demon Lord's generals.

Comments:

Some cool tips and tricks to infiltrating a goblin lair, here. It might not seem like much, but I think the tactical approach to attacking them is a nice nuance that adds a little more realism to the overall presentation. I feel like the "soaking yourself in their blood" thing is one of the best tricks one can use for infiltration. Although, it'll obviously imply you have to kill a thing first, then cut it open, drain some blood out, and put it all over you. Extreme revenge calls for extreme measures, though!

The Ogre leader was a pleasant surprise. I wonder if the Demon Lord ends up being the endgame of the franchise and all the anthropomorphs and demi-humans that are usually considered antagonistic (like goblins, orcs, ogres, etc.) are all just in league or under Demon Lord's control. If so, maybe that'll lead to the occasional surprise monster or general non-goblin. And what if Demon Lord can even control undead? That'd be a big twist.

The action was a welcomed change-of-pace. Ogre leader was built like a tank, and the teleportation scroll was a genius countermeasure. At that point, you just gotta' stab the tank at its weak spot (its face!). I don't even wanna' think about how evil and abusive that ogre could've been. It was jarring enough to see the goblins doing bad things, so I'm sure it's ten times worse what the ogre could've been doing to prisoners.

Screen Caps:

Last edited by Tony K. on Fri Oct 13, 2023 12:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2023 12:59 am Reply with quote
Episode 05: Adventures and Daily Life

Summary:

After recovering from his wounds, Goblin Slayer helps Cow Girl cart supplies to town, where he encounters two young adventurers who lost a sword in the sewers, advising them to use a club as an improvised weapon so they can retrieve it. Guild Girl asks him to act as an observer on a promotion exam, where she punishes a rhea scout for stealing loot from his party. Meanwhile, the two young adventurers recover the sword thanks to Goblin Slayer's advice. Goblin Slayer then receives a special goblin slaying request from Sword Maiden herself.

Comments:

A little more world-building and goings-on for some of the side characters, and I guess some mild fan service from Cow Girl's and Witch's presences. I feel there's also a little bit of development for Priestess, though it's nothing too major. If anything, I think she might be unknowingly falling for Slayer, a little bit. But I'm pretty sure Slayer will never become socially open enough for a romance until every single goblin is completely eradicated from the planet.

The creatures in the sewers are pretty creepy looking. I mentioned a few episodes ago how the goblins reminded me a little bit of the humanoid cockroach baddies in Terraformars, and now we get to see rats and roach-type bugs in this, which are as verminous in any franchise or iteration, so hear hear for killing those. I wish I could be as obscenely violent to them if I ever found one in my house (no rats where I live, but I see the occasional cockroach).

The introduction of Sword Maiden presents some food for thought. The show insinuates a Demon Lord, who I'm gonna' guess is the "bad guy boss." But what about the good guy ranks? If there's a Demon Lord who represent gloom and doom, who represents good and hope on the other side? I wonder if they'll ever mention the "good guy boss," or if we'll just have to assume Goblin Slayer and his compatriots are the only ones that really matter.

Screen Caps:

Last edited by Tony K. on Fri Oct 13, 2023 1:14 pm; edited 3 times in total
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2023 1:02 am Reply with quote

Episode 06: Goblin Slayer in the Water Town

Summary:

Goblin Slayer and the rest of the party journey to Water Town, where they meet Sword Maiden, who informs them there have been a string of violent murders in the town recently, and they suspect the culprits are goblins in the town's sewer system. Goblin Slayer agrees to lead a party into the sewers, where they discover the goblins have learned to use boats to navigate the sewers. After sinking a goblin boat, the party attracts the attention of a giant alligator.

Comments:

The Demon Lord looks a lot like Ainz Ooal Goan from Overlord. I wonder if that's just what most demon lords look like, or if the illustrator of these light novels is trying to make a little jab/homage to the former. Anyway, cool little bit of lore. I wouldn't even be opposed if they never directly address the whole Demon Lord thing and just keep using little flashbacks to help build said lore. And if the series ever gets epic enough to actually battle that guy, I think it'd be a win-win either way.

The boat goblins brings up a good question. Who taught them how to use boats? Or even, if someone put them in the sewers to begin with, could there be a leak or traitor amongst the anti-goblin alliance? This wouldn't be the first time someone betrayed the good guys for a "high rank amongst the eventually-ruling bad guys." But of course, those betrayers usually end up getting killed, regardless, because they were stupid cowards to begin with, and their betrayal only resulted in their own deaths.

Now that I think about it, if goblins ever got smart, that could spell some trouble. They're evil enough as it is, but if you give them methods of being more evil with the advent of knowledge and/or some kind of advancement, that could easily shift the balance of power in this fantasy world.

Screen Caps:

Last edited by Tony K. on Fri Oct 13, 2023 1:29 pm; edited 2 times in total
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2023 9:50 pm Reply with quote

Episode 07: Onward Unto Death

Summary:

Pending

Comments:

Pending

Screen Caps:

Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2023 9:53 pm Reply with quote

Episode 08: Whispers and Prayers and Chants

Summary:

Pending

Comments:

Pending

Screen Caps:

Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2023 9:55 pm Reply with quote

Episode 09: There and Back Again

Summary:

Pending

Comments:

Pending

Screen Caps:

Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2023 9:58 pm Reply with quote

Episode 10: Dozing

Summary:

Pending

Comments:

Pending

Screen Caps:

Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2023 10:01 pm Reply with quote

Episode 11: The Adventurers Feast

Summary:

Pending

Comments:

Pending

Screen Caps:

Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2023 10:04 pm Reply with quote

Episode 12: The Fate of an Adventurer

Summary:

Pending

Comments:

Pending

Screen Caps:

Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2023 5:15 pm Reply with quote

(Movie) Goblin's Crown (00:00 - 25:00): Part 1

Summary:

A nutshell recap of S1, specifically: episodes 1, 7, 8, 11, and 12.

Comments:

A good enough refresher for the important parts of S1. Obviously you'll get more content and pick up on more subtleties in character development by watching the entirety of the season. But if you're on a time-crunch and remember most of S1 okay, you could call this a kind of primer for the movie.

I almost didn't take screen caps for this part. But looking though it, again, there were some pretty good shots I didn't get to cap from S1, so I put 'em in here. I'm going for more violence and shock value for the remainder of these movie caps to help illustrate the verminous nature of the goblins and the rewarding retribution of seeing them slaughtered.

Screen Caps:

Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2023 5:24 pm Reply with quote

(Movie) Goblin's Crowns (25:01 - 45:00): Part 2

Summary:

Pending

Comments:

Pending

Screen Caps:

Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 3 of 8