• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Kai (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Clodus

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 5:18 pm Reply with quote
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ardlien

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 7:54 am Reply with quote
It was probably unwise of me to accidentally watch through the *second* season before seeing the first. Will this ruin the first season for me if I watch it now?

spoiler[With the reputation this series has, I was expecting a lot more happy happy murder sprees, I guess from the various flashbacks, the first season is what i'm after. As to the ending of this one I really wasn't feeling convinced by the "everyone work together and we'll beat a special ops squad" sentiment, especially when suddenly kung fu Akasaka takes down something like 7 armed soldiers. The cutesy voices of Rika and Hanyuu bothered me a bit also, perhaps because I identified more with their serious voices]

Last edited by Ardlien on Thu Nov 20, 2008 10:51 am; edited 1 time in total
lesterf1020
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 10:14 am Reply with quote
Ardlien wrote:
It was probably unwise if me to accidentally watch through the *second* season before seeing the first. Will this ruin the first season for me if I watch it now?

spoiler[With the reputation this series has, I was expecting a lot more happy happy murder sprees, I guess from the various flashbacks, the first season is what i'm after. As to the ending of this one I really wasn't feeling convinced by the "everyone work together and we'll beat a special ops squad" sentiment, especially when suddenly kung fu Akasaka takes down something like 7 armed soldiers. The cutesy voices of Rika and Hanyuu bothered me a bit also, perhaps because I identified more with their serious voices]

Not as much as you might think. I accidentally watched the second season before the first and the first one still had a powerful impact on me with many surprises. I suspect you will enjoy the first season better. It is where all the truly horrible things happen. It is more claustrophobic and paranoid. The first season does not make sense in a good way. You see what is happening and there is clearly a reason for it but something is clearly wrong with the equation to produce the horrific results.

So get the first season and relax. You are in for a very surreal journey.

I prefer the second season because it has more shape and focus and it actually has answers.

History does not repeat itself. but it does rhyme.
- Mark Twain.
siken

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 10:45 am Reply with quote
I liked the second season but not so much as how it ended.. Me personally I felt it was kinda a waste to watch the first one for certain reasons.. Overall though it was a really good show and I want to see the Live Action its comming out with.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
siken

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 10:45 am Reply with quote
I liked the second season but not so much as how it ended.. Me personally I felt it was kinda a waste to watch the first one for certain reasons.. Overall though it was a really good show and I want to see the Live Action its comming out with.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 7:23 pm Reply with quote
Obviously, having watched the second series, you will know where the first series is going so most of the the mystery will be lost, however just because you know where you are headed doesn't make the journey itself worthless.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
jetz

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 8:37 am Reply with quote
Clodus wrote:

Wow, I probably wasn't paying enough attention when I watched Kai O_O (I did put it on hold for a while though) - I don't know who this Frederica person is. I should watch it again.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Majic

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 12:27 pm Reply with quote
I don't think Frederica was mentioned or revealed in Kai until the very end.

But spoiler[if you say "Furude Rika" three times fast], it does offer some hints about who she might be. Wink
jetz

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 2:42 am Reply with quote
Majic wrote:

But spoiler[if you say "Furude Rika" three times fast], it does offer some hints about who she might be. Wink

So she was mentioned in the anime? It's like the first time I've seen this name. That does make sense though.
Aylinn

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 5:04 am Reply with quote
jetz wrote:
Majic wrote:

So she was mentioned in the anime? It's like the first time I've seen this name. That does make sense though.

No, Frederica Berkastel was never mentioned in Higurashi. She is only shown when she manipulates the course of fate setting up a sinless world.
Hentai_JP

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 2:46 am Reply with quote
//Sorry for this rather long "mini-essay" as I just feel obliged to relieve my soul and type it all out. Warning: untagged spoilers ahead!

I love to post about series I have just finished, so here is one about Higurashi no Naku Koroni Kai.

But first a little flashback. Initially, when I finished first season, I had rated Higurashi as "Excellent". Mysterious plot, suspenseful atmosphere, brutal violence, revealed path to insanity(for pretty much every main character) all executed in near perfection made it one of my favorite series, and the only good horror title I've seen in anime medium. Higurashi has some of the most disturbing and scariest scenes I've witnessed in my life and the only reason it ended up as "Excellent" is animation quality, being a bit inconsistent and having some minor mistakes lessened the impact a little. After having seen Rei, and despite having more money "dumped" into, I simply have to promote first season to the "Masterpiece".

Higurashi no Naku Koroni Kai has only answer chapters meaning expecting more of the "blood baths" scenarious was probably too much to hope for. The "horror" as well as "mystery" series defining genres, still remain; however there were no "sitting on the edge of the seat and holding your breath with my eyes wide open" moments present. It didn't feel strange though as series went other route - finally explaining what is happening and how to put the end to it all. I have to admit that most of the story is well written and shows us the solutions everyone was looking forward to.

And there come the last few episodes.
Ardlien wrote:
...As to the ending of this one I really wasn't feeling convinced by the "everyone work together and we'll beat a special ops squad" sentiment, especially when suddenly kung fu Akasaka takes down something like 7 armed soldiers...

Add the fact that Shion and Kasai were conveniently "knocked out" and uninjured during shootout, then overwhelmed bad guys and were running out with their AK-47s; outside bad guys weren't shooting at Akasaka(nor even carried! guns). Akasaka is suddenly a superhuman fighter, while in first season he couldn't even catch up to and beat up one guy. Do I need to go on? ah what the hell: scary voices by Keiichi and Hanyuu turn soldiers in panic, effective traps made by 12-year-old (age might be off), heroism & self-sacrifice, more of heroism and finally a... behold... a point-blank range bullet averting miracle! (surprise surprise)

Needless to say that the ending of final arc seems to be a "happy" ending. In fact soo "happy" it makes one wonder as to who wrote this (and what kind of drugs were they using to get that high, as I want some too). If I had to state one of the worst endings to the great anime series this would be the one. I feel "Masterpiece" level of disappointment (going beyond words).

Kai also comes very close to be a comedy in my opinion. It has many more "comedic relief" scenes so adding "comedy" to genres doesn't sound weird at this point.

My final rating for Higurashi no Naku Koroni Kai is "Excellent". I thoroughly enjoyed second season despite laughable ending. First season, however, now seems to be a masterpiece in comparison as I am willing to overlook all it's minor flaws. It just delivers more in better execution. Up until now I've never promoted first season because second season just wasn't what was expected. While Kai improved animation quality a little the story just... failed at the end.

I still look forward to Higurashi no Naku Koroni Rei expecting it to be a sort of afterstory. Can't be let down there, can I? Wink

PS: Thanks for bearing through to the end with me. Took me a while to type it in proper manner so I hope you see my points.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Page 8 of 8