• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: AnimEigo's Oh My Goddess Video Series License Expires

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nhat

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 5:22 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Tough call. I already got the manga which covered the arc of the OVAs I forgot to watch, but my nostalgia for the series in general, back when anime was less common here, motivates me to pick it up. But then it ends up coming off redundant if I ever decide to go for the tv show one day. *sigh*

After the 1st episode, the OVA covers a different story and timeline so it's worth it to pick up the OVA. Actually I enjoy the OVA more than the TV and manga version. It's really well done for being only 5 episodes long.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 7:07 pm Reply with quote
This was my second bite of the anime cherry, (first being Tenchi Muyo OVA). Oddly it was all the characters that showed up in the OVA opening that got me curious about the manga, which I'm still collecting even if my hair and fingernails grow faster than DH's release dates for it. Rolling Eyes It is AnimEigo's best dub ever and it's better than the dub of the TV series. Makes me charish my DVDs even more now. Wink
AstroNerdBoy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 8:19 pm Reply with quote
I was forced to sell my DVD's ages ago to pay medical bills. Still, this was one of the early anime titles I watched in 2002 that officially made me an anime fan. My desire to know more about Ah! My Goddess led me to my first manga purchases as well.

Sad this is going away. I do remember it having a great dub.
pachy_boy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 10:59 pm Reply with quote
The OVA was my gateway to Oh My Goddess, but even then I knew that it only scratched the surface, since it took three episodes to introduce each individual goddess and then it just dived into the climactic finale without shining any light on the surrounding characters. I should've even guessed as much by all the additional characters that appeared during the opening theme (I love this catchy song) that never even appeared in the OVA, characters that I didn't recognize until I watched the TV series. All because it started with this OVA, I consider myself an Oh My Goddess fan, but it's only just now that I've finally started the manga. I feel kind of silly that it took me this long.

Anyway, I shall forever preserve my copies of the OVA as a treasure (also, the dub is really good, considering the time it came out).
silentjay

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 6:40 pm Reply with quote
l33tmeatwad wrote:
The newer release had better encoding quality, the original DVDs were extremely poor in quality...

They were in no way "extremely poor", as Animeigo are pretty meticulous about such things, they were just older transfers.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 6:55 pm Reply with quote
This news makes me glad that I picked up the original OVA's when they first came out on DVD. I had the VHS for the longest time and during my dvd upgrade they were some of the first to get the treatment. I'm actually happy having the original dvd's and not any sort of fancy new collectors edition that may have new fancy sounds and upgraded visuals if any. Nice and happy with my nostalgia.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 3:50 am Reply with quote
This is awful. I loved the OVA series. It was what got me into the franchise. I wonder why AnimEigo didn't renew their license.

Anyway, I better pick up a copy of the OVA ASAP, before they're all gone!
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 4:10 am Reply with quote
Still haven't seen the OVAs, despite watching the TV series. One of the local hobby shops has the DVDs in stock (bargain bin), but I'm not sure if it's the original release or the remaster.
LuckySeven

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 1:39 pm Reply with quote
As long as I've been an anime fan, this is one of the 'classics' that I've never seen, looks like I'm gonna have to do my best to get hold of this before its too late.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime
l33tmeatwad

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:05 pm Reply with quote
silentjay wrote:
l33tmeatwad wrote:
The newer release had better encoding quality, the original DVDs were extremely poor in quality...

They were in no way "extremely poor", as Animeigo are pretty meticulous about such things, they were just older transfers.

No, the problem was the encode, the transfer was fine (transfer is referring to the source mater, usually dot crawl would be an example of a bad transfer). I will give it to them that encoding software and DVD mastering companies sucked a bit back then though.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2