• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Best Team/Organization Tournament: Post-Mortem

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Key

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 3:46 pm Reply with quote
Oh, I think Biggest Badass, if we ever do it, would be far less predictable than some seem to think. While Guts would be a leading contender, I would hardly consider him a shoe-in to win. (And once you know about what Dark Schneider does, you'll understand why.)

Actually, I think that concept would be most interesting for seeing which dark horses pop up and do well. For instance, Kirika from Noir would hardly be one of the first people you'd think of as a badass, but she does some pretty damn badass things in that series.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 3:51 pm Reply with quote
It's also important to remember that favourites have lost before. How many people went into the Heroes tournament expecting Vash to win? (Or perhaps even better, who expected it to be a tie between Duck and Shuu?)
Key

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 3:58 pm Reply with quote
Good point. While I always thought Shu was a strong entrant, at the beginning I did not expect him to go that far.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
mow123

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 4:25 pm Reply with quote
Eh, not so sure about a Biggest Badass tournament, but at the same time we definitely need a tournament that can make people want to vote in these things again. I would hate to have a repeat of the tail-end of our last tournament. I agree with Key. While Guts, would be 3rd to 4th round material because of the unpredictable and overly subjective nature of this tournament, I doubt that he will be a shoe-in to win. Badassery depends greatly on personal preference, but then again I guess there are some flaws we can we leverage against certain bad asses. However, is compassion a weakness for a bad ass or does it just make them more likable? I suppose this one could be interesting even though it would not be my ideal pick.
rainbowcourage

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:02 pm Reply with quote
egoist wrote:
I can't think of anyone who'd vote for them over Guts, not even me. Though I don't know Dark Schneider. Regardless, I'd probably throw in my support for it, since it would turn out interesting; interesting but predictable. I recall having a nice theme, and if I do remember that, I, of course, will support that instead.

Not to get into this now, but I'd vote for any of the characters Ggultra2764 mentioned over Guts--just saying so you realize it definitely would not be a cut-and-dried tournament, no siree. And what he named was just the tip of the iceberg. Badasses are an anime trope at this point--there are plenty of top-tier fish out there. What excites me most is the potential for some humor, in the form of fanfic. I think that could be an optional part of the voting Laughing
egoist

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:09 pm Reply with quote
I see. Well, I do have a few words about picking them over Guts, and why I wouldn't, but I'll keep them for the "bad ass" tournament which is bound to happen sooner or later. Not sure about the last part of your post, but I sincerely hope people wouldn't let their wild imagination interfere with a tournament. But this is definitely better than "best support character" since that's just as random as any clouds floating up there.
Sophisticat

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:44 pm Reply with quote
I know this idea has been shot down in the past, but what about allowing manga material in these tournaments? Cutting out manga greatly reduces the pool of potential material for some contestants, though I understand not many prefer reading to watching.

If the next tourney is "biggest badass", Guts is definitely the favored character, but I doubt he'd breeze through. He's got plenty of competition.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:15 pm Reply with quote
Sophisticat wrote:
If the next tourney is "biggest badass", Guts is definitely the favored character, but I doubt he'd breeze through. He's got plenty of competition.

Every time we talk about a badass tournament, objectors say this, to which everyone who has seen Bastard!! says, nuh-uh. Alucard also is usually mentioned as front runner.
Aylinn

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:26 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
1. Given anime you've seen since the tournament field was set back in August, is there any team that you think would have been represented and/or done well here had they been eligible in time?

I haven’t watched any anime with a good team since August, so there is none.

The two problems with this tournament have been already mentioned. Judging a group of people may have required too much effort and there was no dark horse that would beat the expected winner.

As far as the next tournament is concerned I’m loyal to the unpopular idea of The Best Rivals. I really like watching series in which there is some tension between two characters. Besides, it includes a wide range of anime from shoujo, for example: Skip Beat: Kyoko and Shoutarou, to seinen Monster: Johan and Tenma and some great series for children Kemono no Souja Erin: Nugan and Shunan.

If the next tourney is biggest badass, I don't mind.
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:07 pm Reply with quote
Crap! I stopped getting e-mail notifications about the tournament, forgot about it and so I didn't vote. But congrats to Section 9. That's who I would have voted for anyway! Very Happy

As for the next tournament, looking forward to it, but those who say that Guts would win Best Badass hands down, don't necessary count on it. I, for one, would probably vote against him just because of that.

Like marie-antoinette mentioned: Remember Duck and Shu?
egoist

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:17 pm Reply with quote
To make things a little clear here, I did mention Guts and another one, not just Guts. Saying just Guts is practically pulling things out of context.

Quote:
I, for one, would probably vote against him just because of that.

I sincerely can't agree with that way of voting.

I'll watch Bastard!! pretty soon, then that duo will be increased to a group of three possible winners, according to some comments. But if I understand it well, the "bad ass" from Bastard!! should be going down like Hotel Moscow did, though that's just a feeling.
Sophisticat

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 4:37 pm Reply with quote
Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:
Sophisticat wrote:

Every time we talk about a badass tournament, objectors say this, to which everyone who has seen Bastard!! says, nuh-uh. Alucard also is usually mentioned as front runner.

Objector? I'm agreeing that Dark Schneider, Alucard or other make it so Guts isn't the automatic winner. These characters have their fanbase, but they're also hardly the only badass competitors with merit.

... Not quite sure what you point was?
guet

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 11:01 pm Reply with quote
I think a Badass tournament would be a lot of fun. The problems we have had in the past of getting one through the voting process is that the Badass idea eliminates a lot of different types of anime, and thus a lot of fans of said types of anime tend to be very vocal in their objections.

As for the contest itself, if manga were allowed, (and I'm not saying it should be, this does take place in the Anime section of the forum after all), I'd have to agree that Guts would be almost impossible to vote against.

Dark Schnieder is very much a Badass, but I don't think he's a lock for the top spot either. He is also an immortal, and in my mind that makes some of his actions just a bit less impressive when compared against mortals like Guts. The same can be said of Alucard. Still, both Alucard and Dark are no doubt top contenders, and who knows how the "masses" would vote in the end. There are also several other top tier characters that have not even been mentioned yet. Even if Guts was a lock for the top spot (and I'm not so sure he is), the rest of the bracket (including the final four) would be just about anyone's game.

A small part of me would almost hope to hold off on the Badass Tournament for six months or so just so that Unlimited Blade Works Shirou would be eligible. If the movie does the game any justice at all, he could be a serious contender. But, I'd also be very happy if it does go through this time. A lot of us have been wanting to do this one for a long time.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 1:28 am Reply with quote
I kind of like the idea of a Badass tournament. Heck, I already have a character in mind that I'd nominate for it. I think Cobra from Cobra would make an excellent contender!
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 11:03 am Reply with quote
Just to toss this out, was there a Best Old Person tournament suggested as well?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 68 of 70