• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Show us your Media Shelves (primarily anime).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lp_harley

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 2:06 pm Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:
Bitter_Almonds wrote:
Ugh. I need to find a new way to shelve things. Once I get a new shipment of stuff, I have to re-arrange the whole enchilada. One of these days, I will die buried under movies trying to reach for that one Urusei Yatsura dvd waaay at the bottom of a pile Laughing

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v465/Nuwavghost/P4200143.jpg

I ran out of shelf space, so now I have to save up to buy about 400USD worth of shelves Evil or Very Mad

Why don't you just make your own shelves or have someone else if you can't? That way you can make them as big as you want and can even make them to fit a specific wall or corner. I always used free wood to make shelves so I don't know how much it costs, but I would like to believe it'd be less than $400.

My shelves cost me about $450 to build out of white pine, oak or mahogany doubles your price.
Bitter Almonds

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 9:16 pm Reply with quote
I like to think that by buying the ready-made stuff, I'm cutting on the spent hours of building. It's the time spent building stuff which I'm cutting down: I could either spend all day making a shelf, or I could spend it watching videos and reading books. Unless I was getting paid 50USD an hour to make a shelf, THEN I'd sit down and make a shelf Cool
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 3:45 am Reply with quote
lp_harley wrote:
My shelves cost me about $450 to build out of white pine, oak or mahogany doubles your price.

Well, I was proven wrong. Yay for free wood!

Bitter_Almonds wrote:
I like to think that by buying the ready-made stuff, I'm cutting on the spent hours of building. It's the time spent building stuff which I'm cutting down: I could either spend all day making a shelf, or I could spend it watching videos and reading books. Unless I was getting paid 50USD an hour to make a shelf, THEN I'd sit down and make a shelf

That makes sense. I guess it was dumb of me to assume everybody wouldn't mind taking the time build a shelf like me. You're also right in that it does take a long time and a lot of energy to build and transport those suckers, time which could be spent doing more fun stuff. Although, there's nothing quite like the accomplishment of building and transporting a shelf and then setting your DVD's on it and then looking at the DVD's you worked hard to pay for sitting on the shelf you worked hard to build. It feels good. Really good.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
larinon

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 1:43 pm Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:
Bitter_Almonds wrote:
I like to think that by buying the ready-made stuff, I'm cutting on the spent hours of building. It's the time spent building stuff which I'm cutting down: I could either spend all day making a shelf, or I could spend it watching videos and reading books. Unless I was getting paid 50USD an hour to make a shelf, THEN I'd sit down and make a shelf

That makes sense. I guess it was dumb of me to assume everybody wouldn't mind taking the time build a shelf like me. You're also right in that it does take a long time and a lot of energy to build and transport those suckers, time which could be spent doing more fun stuff. Although, there's nothing quite like the accomplishment of building and transporting a shelf and then setting your DVD's on it and then looking at the DVD's you worked hard to pay for sitting on the shelf you worked hard to build. It feels good. Really good.

You know, even if you buy a set of shelves, you typically still have to actually assemble the shelves yourself. There's no sawing or finishing or anything like that necessary, but you generally have to do a lot of the rest of the work that you'd otherwise have to in building it yourself.

The shelves I had posted before that I had just assembled took me 1-2 hours each working alone. That's an estimation though, since I was watching game 7 of the Stanley Cup playoffs when I was working on them and it took longer than that. Things take a lot longer to do when you're constantly being distracted, it turns out.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
lp_harley

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 8:31 pm Reply with quote
Bitter_Almonds wrote:
I like to think that by buying the ready-made stuff, I'm cutting on the spent hours of building. It's the time spent building stuff which I'm cutting down: I could either spend all day making a shelf, or I could spend it watching videos and reading books. Unless I was getting paid 50USD an hour to make a shelf, THEN I'd sit down and make a shelf Cool

I just like working with wood its a fun hobby for me.
Bitter Almonds

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 9:18 pm Reply with quote
Alright, alright. The reason I don't make my own shelves is because they'll come out looking retarded Razz
Kruszer

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 1:06 am Reply with quote
In order to fix that all you need are a level, a tape measure, and a shapie or pen to mark the wall. Maybe a stud finder too if the construction of you house or apartment was carried out by retarded chimpanzees like mine was. Wink
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 2:55 am Reply with quote
Kruszer wrote:
In order to fix that all you need are a level, a tape measure, and a shapie or pen to mark the wall. Maybe a stud finder too if the construction of you house or apartment was carried out by retarded chimpanzees like mine was. Wink

I'll add that you need to be on level ground for the level to be effective if you're not building floaters. I found out the hard way that my garage wasn't as level as I believed it to be. Let's just say I ended up with a shelf that could stand in my garage, but would tip over in my room.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
lp_harley

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 10:05 am Reply with quote
Kruszer
I strongly discourage using a sharpie they stain the wood deep unless you are going to paint them a dark color, use a sharp pencil and a good speed-square like a Swanson.

King of Harts
A garage floor should slope 1/8 to 1/4" per foot so things like gas fumes (which are heavier than air), fuel, water, etc. can exit the garage without building up.
Kimiko_0

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 12:11 pm Reply with quote
I promised to post a picture once my collection filled one shelf. Yes, I know that's puny compared to most collections here. It's still growing, okay? Smile

Overview of my digital entertainment (click to enlarge):

Close-up of my anime DVDs (click to enlarge):
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 2:12 pm Reply with quote
Kimiko_0 wrote:
Yes, I know that's puny compared to most collections here. It's still growing, okay? Smile

Well, it looks a little larger than mine:

If you need any help in bumping up your collection, you might be interested in the Anime-On-Line special offers. They're all R2 UK products, but EU-to-EU shipping is tax free, and your currency is quite strong.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kimiko_0

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 4:57 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for the tip, Zin5ki. I've ordered a few titles from their special offers section Smile

I hope MPlayer can decipher R2 DVDs. I have my computer's drive set to R1 because all my DVDs so far are from there.
Otherwise I will only be able to watch them on my old TV (the DVD player is set to R0).
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 5:06 pm Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:
Well, it looks a little larger than mine:

I don't understand why they call it the Shinkai collection when they don't have, arguably, his best work in 5 cm/s. The man has 5 pieces of work (2 are extremely short) and they only put 2 in his "collection".
Kimiko_0

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 5:14 pm Reply with quote
That's probably because when that collection was released (9-2007), 5 cm/s was still showing in theaters.
Mistypearl

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 5:44 pm Reply with quote
Kimiko_0 wrote:
I promised to post a picture once my collection filled one shelf. Yes, I know that's puny compared to most collections here. It's still growing, okay? Smile

Overview of my digital entertainment (click to enlarge):

Close-up of my anime DVDs (click to enlarge):

Yay for Princess Ttut and Ghost Hunt Very Happy I rarely see anyone with the Ghost Hunt dvds on their shelves unless I've missed them
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 70 of 86