• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimations Adds My Bride Is A Mermaid! Comedy Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DomFortress

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 1:06 pm Reply with quote
zanarkand princess wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
I have, it seemed like a much easier show to dub.

I actually prefer the school rumble dub. Tenma imitating Harima's voice in the dub is just too funny.

SZS needs a dub too. I could think of a few ways the cast would work out well.
Big Hed wrote:
I actually prefer the school rumble dub. Tenma imitating Harima's voice in the dub is just too funny.

Luci Christian was the high point of the School Rumble English dub for me. Overall, though, I think the Japanese dub sounded somewhat better, and Harima was a downright disappointment in English.
And without the English voice acting process in School Rumble, a part of the localization process to bring the School Rumble anime to a wider audiences, you'll never had the chance to discover the voice acting talent that is Luci Christian.

I have a number of friends that are actors, and their talents are just waiting to be discovered. Now I know what a lot of anime fans tend to look down on English voice acting, because they think that just about any smock can just pickup a script, read a few line into the mic, and done, that's voice acting to them in a nutshell. Well guess again.

Acting is tough, it's emotionally, mentally, and physically demanding. And if you plan on making a living out of acting, well get ready for a life of constant battle of survival, in an industry that's just as competitive as the anime industry if not more so. And that's just the lifestyle, I haven't even touch base on the technical difficulty on voice acting; what can be considered as the earliest and toughest form of acting known to men.

You need to understand that when you can only rely on the performance of your voice in order to bring out the emotion, mentality, and physicality of a fictional character. All the while you need to retain your own uniqueness, thereby not being consumed by the character that you're acting on. Watch your timing so you won't miss your line. Keep track of your rhythm so you won't miss your ques. That's the kind of professionalism you need to maintain as a voice actor during a normal recording session. When it's time to record an action sequence, which anime are well known for, you need to physically act out those situation with just your body motions alone. When your character gets hit in the gut by a fist, you need to sound like you just got hit in the gut by punching your own stomach with your own fist, that sort of things!

So the next time when you criticize any kind of voice acting, take all that into consideration. That will give you a better understanding about the art of voice acting, and thus you'll form a better judgment.
Richard J.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 1:06 pm Reply with quote
Why does it always have to become a sub vs. dub issue? Why can't we all just get along? Isn't that the whole point of having hybrid DVDs, that we can all get what we want? Why does it have to be a "my fandom alone should get to fully enjoy anime!" situation, anime doesn't have to be a zero-sum game you know. If you don't want to buy this show, just admit it! If you don't want to buy it at top MSRP, then just buy it on sale! Or, hey, maybe wait and buy it used even!

Seriously, stop being offended that some fans don't love anime for exactly the same reasons you do and get over your hate of dubs. I prefer dubs and never once have I wished all sub fans into oblivion.
DomFortress

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 2:20 pm Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:
Why does it always have to become a sub vs. dub issue? Why can't we all just get along? Isn't that the whole point of having hybrid DVDs, that we can all get what we want? Why does it have to be a "my fandom alone should get to fully enjoy anime!" situation, anime doesn't have to be a zero-sum game you know. If you don't want to buy this show, just admit it! If you don't want to buy it at top MSRP, then just buy it on sale! Or, hey, maybe wait and buy it used even!

Seriously, stop being offended that some fans don't love anime for exactly the same reasons you do and get over your hate of dubs. I prefer dubs and never once have I wished all sub fans into oblivion.
I think it's due to a lack of respect, responsibility, and accountability among our anime subcultural community. This lack of strength, virtue, and quality are preventing a majority of anime fans to appreciate, advocate, and understand anime as art. And it's causing a social breakdown within our community. But you don't see this kind of distillation in other subcultural communities like Star Wars, Star Trek, Harry Potter, Tabletop, CCG, and LGBT, just to name a few. So what is it that they've got that we don't; self-regulation on intellectual property theft via internet anime piracy.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 3:56 pm Reply with quote
Really? I just thought that people just love to bitch over the internet.

I hate dubs, but that is not the reason I don't like most R1 DVDs. It's the video quality that is twice worse then the R2 because of adding the dub and packing more episodes per disk. Yes, it would be more expensive to have 2 episodes per disk, but I want quality, and am willing to pay for it. This is why the R1 industry has never seen, nor will it ever see money form me, and my friends. The R2 industry, however, I have it's e-mail, I'll be talking with it a lot.
LordRedhand

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 4:03 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:

I hate dubs, but that is not the reason I don't like most R1 DVDs. It's the video quality that is twice worse then the R2 because of adding the dub and packing more episodes per disk. Yes, it would be more expensive to have 2 episodes per disk, but I want quality, and am willing to pay for it. This is why the R1 industry has never seen, nor will it ever see money form me, and my friends. The R2 industry, however, I have it's e-mail, I'll be talking with it a lot.

I'll just leave this at What?
zanarkand princess

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 4:09 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:

Your kidding right? How would you know anyway if you don't support the industry? You want two episodes per disc at $50 a piece? Well you would be supporting the industry alone. We can't have that kind of thing because our anime industry doesn't get money from tv ads and merchandising. The video quality isn't any worse because of the dub. Dubs don't even have anything to do with video, it's audio and do you really think 4 episodes makes quality bad? Don't most anime DVDs have about 6gb on them. Half of them don't even have good special features leaving plenty of room for the show.
DomFortress

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 4:45 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:

Your kidding right? How would you know anyway if you don't support the industry? You want two episodes per disc at $50 a piece? Well you would be supporting the industry alone. We can't have that kind of thing because our anime industry doesn't get money from tv ads and merchandising. The video quality isn't any worse because of the dub. Dubs don't even have anything to do with video, it's audio and do you really think 4 episodes makes quality bad? Don't most anime DVDs have about 6gb on them. Half of them don't even have good special features leaving plenty of room for the show.
And nobody came close to the kind of quality R1 anime DVD release than Genoen Entertainment's earlier releases. Every time I looked at my Last Exile Collector DVD box set, I'm looking at my ideal perfection in commercialized art entertainment. The attention and care to the detail, image, presentation, localization, and packaging are several cuts above the rest even in today's industry standard. And that's only by looking at the box set!
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 4:46 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:

Video quality in the coming years, as long as everything remains on DVD, will certainly be worse with ever expanding file sizes for episodes. It all depends on how the anime market reacts to the switch to BluRay, but I imagine it won't be pretty.

Even TV can look better than DVDs now, with transport streams showing filesizes of over 2GB.
braves

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 4:51 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
It's the video quality that is twice worse then the R2 because of adding the dub and packing more episodes per disk.

Er, no. Adding an additional audio track and having more episodes per disc doesn't affect the video quality. The poor job of authoring that some companies do does.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
SongstressCela

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 5:00 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Er, no. Adding an additional audio track and having more episodes per disc doesn't affect the video quality.

Of course it does, more episodes and more audio per disc = more space taken up = more compressed video data.

That said, this troll's either naive or just stupid if he thinks the quality of a DVD is really terrible. There are seldom more than five or six episodes on a disc, and at that amount they could be up to 700MB a piece (audio included) and still have, what, 500MB left over for a second audio track?

That's insanely high quality compared to most videos for half-hour series.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime
Unit 03.5-ish

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 5:20 pm Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:

The sub-elitism around here's been REALLY nasty lately. Seriously, I don't dis subs even though I'm all about dubs, so will you sub snobs kindly STFU.
zanarkand princess

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 5:27 pm Reply with quote
Not really. People who like subs only sound elitist to you because you are being so hostel to them, and I like dubs and subs equally. I judge by performance not language. They're really aren't anymore sub snobs than usual but the dub snobs seem to be growing.
DomFortress

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 5:44 pm Reply with quote
Not really. People who like subs only sound elitist to you because you are being so hostel to them, and I like dubs and subs equally. I judge by performance not language. They're really aren't anymore sub snobs than usual but the dub snobs seem to be growing.
Here's another look at it, if you will. Will the sub elitists be so kind to the fansubbers, if they started releasing fansubs with their own voice dubs? After all, you can't deny the fact that those who had never experienced anime in Japanese, would prefer to watch anime with local language voice dubbing. And they are the majority, as long as anime remain but a subculture. So if the fansubbers are working to make anime more popular, shouldn't they be orienting and appealing toward a wider audiences, instead of only targeting those that are already fans of anime?
pparker

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 5:49 pm Reply with quote

Maybe not snobs, but "demanders". The threats to boycott from dub proponents vs. the "dubs make prices higher" other side. Really, I wish they would all be dubbed, because I enjoy my own language if it's good. I doubt the cost will work out much different in the long run due to smaller market for subs-only DVDs. Also the broadcast factor, if that isn't completely dead already. I usually end up preferring the subs because of lost in translation and the English director's interpretation of emotion moving the meaning too much from the original.

But either way is fine, and I don't see either side standing out more than the other in terms of hostility. It's just that fans didn't have that issue to consider until recently.
Unit 03.5-ish

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 5:58 pm Reply with quote
It seems that the reality that some releases don't warrant a dub now has resurrected the bad blood between dub and sub fans. It wasn't an issue before, but now that it's becoming one again...

If it's a FUNimation title, I would think it'd get a dub, but I think even when it's FUNi it won't be guaranteed in the future. Look how huge Bandai is as a global corporation, and even their US division is cutting costs on some dubs now.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 8 of 9