• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Stream - Winds of Amnesia

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:58 pm Reply with quote
asimpson2006 wrote:
I knew going into this that Bamboo would dislike Senran Kagura. Can't say I agree with her as I find it a fun and enjoyable to show to watch.

Only reason I'm watching it because I kind of like some of the villain characters. I like Hibari's character design and every once in a while she's kinda cute in a way that's amusing, but for the most part, its incredibly, painfully dull when the villains aren't on screen. As of episode three, I'm simply skipping through anything in which they aren't participating.

yuna49 wrote:

Bamboo, I presume AKB0048 is also off your list because the first season wasn't streamed? I'm hoping the next couple of episodes move on from the fanservice, in all its forms, and that Okada gets back to writing about political repression. That's what drew me to the first season, though I must admit finding Chieri one of the most beautifully-drawn young ladies in recent memory, though she still cannot compare to Chihaya.

I don't remember that much fanservice, other than the game show episode and even that was only a few particular scenes. And its not like everything has just ground to a halt so they could do fanservice episodes with no other purpose. Pretty much everything in those episodes contributed to the overall plot or specific character's development.

Also, AKB0048 episode 17 is easily the best yet in the show and will almost certainly be one of the best 5-10 episodes of anime I watch this entire year.
jymmy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:08 pm Reply with quote
ChibiKangaroo wrote:
What they used instead is a very old and heavily parodied trope, which I think resulted in this for many people rather than the intended effect.

I don't mean to criticise, but at what point did the idea enter your head that linking to TV Tropes would be helpful in convincing others that you are an intelligent, informed individual whose points were valid and well-thought out? The site is a useful resource in some cases, an interesting use of time and an unparalleled tool for writing terrible fiction, but I'd have come away with a much better opinion of you if your post had said "which was unintentionally funny" instead.
purplepolecat

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:15 pm Reply with quote
phoenixalia wrote:
Relenus wrote:
Wow, Amnesia looks terrible. And more than anything, I don't remember any of that stuff Bamboo described happening in the game. It doesn't even look like it takes place in a spooky medieval castle and I'm pretty sure Daniel isn't a Japanese teenage girl. I'm losing hope that they'll ever even get to stitchface or the water monster.

dude, are you serious or are you being sarcastic? This is not Amnesia: The Dark Descent.

He's joking. It is pretty funny that there are two games called Amnesia, and they are about as far apart in terms of tone and content as you could possibly get.

Now we need some YouTube videos of people playing the Amnesia VN and freaking out. "Dude noooooo it's a bishie with a parfait OMG RUN!!!"
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:16 pm Reply with quote
jymmy wrote:
I don't mean to criticise, but at what point did the idea enter your head that linking to TV Tropes would be helpful in convincing others that you are an intelligent, informed individual whose points were valid and well-thought out? The site is a useful resource in some cases, an interesting use of time and an unparalleled tool for writing terrible fiction, but I'd have come away with a much better opinion of you if your post had said "which was unintentionally funny" instead.

Lol, I just figured it would be easier to link to the detailed definition of the trope rather than regurgitating all of that information here. The tvtropes article is very well written and explains the trope quite effectively. Also, I don't know how many people know the term "Narm."
yuna49

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:28 pm Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:
I don't remember that much fanservice, other than the game show episode and even that was only a few particular scenes.

That's why I included the phrase "in all of its forms." The entire general election arc is fanservice, in that it appeals to fans of the actual AKB48 group. Not all fanservice is boobs, though there has been a bit more of that in the first couple of episodes as well. Last season most of the sexual fanservice was limited to the beach episode.

Okada has to walk a narrow line between writing scripts that will keep the AKB48 fans involved as they follow the successors of their favorite current girls, while writing scripts that appeal to people like me who have no interest in idol groups per se. What makes this even more complicated is that idol fans and anime otaku are sometimes seen as warring groups. A lot of otaku did not appreciate having singing idols make Akihabara their home and use its initials to name the group. I'm sure some AKB48 fans share the general public's distaste for otaku culture as well.
icetea00

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:46 pm Reply with quote
mewpudding101 wrote:

Now, I'm not exactly the biggest fan of otome game anime. Hiiro no Kakera's first season made me want to bang my head against a wall (especially those ending segments), and Uta no Prince-sama's popularity here in Japan makes me want to rip out my hair. But Amnesiia is a beautiful breath of fresh air. Just as long as we don't start focusing on the other guys...

So far I think this show is better than Hakuouki or whatever otome game adapted anime shown in the last couple of years. The production company is decent and I was surprised by a bishoujo game adapted anime in 2012 (it's not Little Busters. I don't like LB at all), why not a otome game anime this time? So I still have some hope.

It should focus on the other guys. Actually Amnesia is a pretty good game. The problem is that there's too much in the game to be put into a 13-episode show and the anime could become messy. The long-haired guy Ukyo is the true essence of the game. I hope the anime reveals more about him rather than going straight through one character's route. It's not this kind of straight-forward game. If they just keep focusing on Shin or any other guy, you will never know the "truth".
jymmy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:54 pm Reply with quote
ChibiKangaroo wrote:
Lol, I just figured it would be easier to link to the detailed definition of the trope rather than regurgitating all of that information here. The tvtropes article is very well written and explains the trope quite effectively. Also, I don't know how many people know the term "Narm."

Fair enough. I often see the site referenced needlessly, seemingly as a substitute for actual analysis or criticism (plus the worthwhile content in the site itself is often buried), so I guess I have a negative reaction to it.
Petrea Mitchell

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:22 pm Reply with quote
Ironically, the Amnesia review stirs a memory for me. Melon soda... if I could pick one food from the time I went to Japan to have again, it would definitely be the melon-flavored Fanta.

Now that the new season's getting going, my current list is:

#1: Hunter x Hunter - I admit that Space Brothers is better by almost any objective measure, but gaming!

#2: Space Brothers - There isn't a single thing I don't like about it. I can't even complain about the pacing because no individual episode ever feels like filler. I'm putting last year's episodes on my Hugo nominating ballot. (Not that it has any real chance at a Hugo nomination because there aren't nearly enough people with anime knowledge selecting themselves into the Hugo voting pool, but darnit I'm not going to let it be my fault it fails because I didn't vote for it.) And I love, love, love the new OP.

#3: From the New World - Just waiting for the final stretch to see how it all comes together now.

#4: Bakumatsu Gijinden Roman - Just as it reached the point where it needed to come up with something to hold my attention as the initial burst of interest faded, it has, by turning a spotlight on that magic suit and challenging the viewer to figure out what kind of explanation they're going to come up with. I'm not even going to guess at this point whether it's going to be time travel, aliens, a lost civilization, or what, but it holds the promise of interesting developments. Also intriguing is that I may finally have found an anime where Americans are smart enough to be primary villains, rather than just causing problems through abject stupidity or being secretly controlled by the British or something.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Crisha

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:24 pm Reply with quote
purplepolecat wrote:
He's joking. It is pretty funny that there are two games called Amnesia, and they are about as far apart in terms of tone and content as you could possibly get.

Now we need some YouTube videos of people playing the Amnesia VN and freaking out. "Dude noooooo it's a bishie with a parfait OMG RUN!!!"

Or how about some YouTube vids of people playing Amnesia: TDD and deliberating over which monster should become their next boyfriend: Alexander, the Shadow, the Grunt, the Brute, or the Kaernk. And where shall the two of you share your first raepkiss? The Prison? The Chancel? The Inner Sanctum?

Tough choices to be made. Alexander seems like the obvious choice, but I don't know man. That mouth the Grunt has seems like it could do some special things if y'knowuddamean?

Or you could go for one of the alternate story lines and try to get one of the three Suitors. Or perhaps the mannequins - they'll ALWAYS BE THERE for you, even when you aren't looking.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:30 pm Reply with quote
jojothepunisher wrote:
I wouldn't call it a clone of Haruhi Suzumiya. They might have similar premises, but these two shows have entirely different characters. S@G is pretty much aimed more for otaku.

I would say haruhi and S@G are as alike as spice and wolf and mayou at this point. sure they have very similar on the surface presences but they actually do function differently.
zensunni

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:25 pm Reply with quote
@dtm42

You do realize this show is based on a manga, right? I haven't read it, so I don't know that the scenes in question come from the manga, but I would assume they do rather than assuming some sort of group-production writing to be in play.

And speaking as someone who spoiler[ran over his own cat] when he was 16, her reaction wasn't that over the top. I probably bawled that much too, though I figured out that spoiler[she had already been hit before I got there.]

RyanSaotome wrote:
Little Busters is only 1 season for now. It'll probably get a 2nd season down the line though (similar to how Clannad got After Story, Little Busters should get Refrain).

Its just a weird situation where Crunchy picked it up in the middle of the series.

But the part that aired in Fall 2012 is still not available to watch on a legal US stream, so reviewing it starting at episode 14 would be a bit odd.
dtm42

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:41 pm Reply with quote
zensunni, please re-read the penultimate sentence of my post.

Just as a side note, the Manga is a 4koma, so it doesn't have a normal story structure. It's possible that it starts with her already in high school and doesn't show her depressing backstory.
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:51 pm Reply with quote
Maoyu didn't pass my four episode test. Besides the weekly economics lessons (which is stuff I already know from college), we get Meido talk therapy for the two angsty, insecure lead characters. -and what are victorian era maid costumes doing in what looks like the renaissance? The fanservice really wasn't all that bad, but the show is too boring for me. Dropped.

I also dropped Oreshura and Robotics;Notes. Neither of these show are bad, I just don't find them interesting enough to follow week-to-week. I'l glance now and then at the continuing discussions for these shows to see if they go in some cool direction that might cause me to pick them up again. I can't believe I'm able to follow 16 -18 shows right now. Probably the best I've ever done keeping up with shows.

I'll give Amnesia another few episodes. If it continues to follow Shin, I'm probably out. Frankly, none of the guys other than the guy with the long, green hair are interesting enough to me. The clues aren't coming fast enough and I keep wishing the girl would take a more active role in solving her own mystery. She hasn't even looked through her apartment, or handbag, ...or anything for clues about her past. She just passively accepts whatever clues are presented to her by other characters. This makes her completely unbelievable to me.-- IMO any normal person would have more of an interest in their own identity.

Still considering Hakkenden (a little boring), Problem Children (a little goofy), and Cuticle Detective Inaba (which I think is funnier than Bamboo does, though I have to admit I don't get all the Japan-specific jokes). These might be the first to get dropped if I need to manage my time, depending on how they, and other shows, develop in future episodes.

Keepers: Chihayafuru, The UNLIMITED, Bakumatsu Gijinden Roman, And Kotoura-san, Tamako Market along with the continuing shows
from last season.

Over all my ranking is:

1- Hunter X Hunter
2- Psycho Pass
3 - Chihayafuru
4 - Space Brothers
5 - The UNLIMITED
6 - Bakumatsu Gijinden Roman
7 - Magi
8 - Tamako Market
9 - Polar Bear Cafe
10 - Kotoura-san
11 - Gintama
12 - Blast of Tempest
13 - Cuticle Detective Inaba
14 - Hakkenden
15 - Amnesia
16 - Problem Children
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:49 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
zensunni, please re-read the penultimate sentence of my post.

Just as a side note, the Manga is a 4koma, so it doesn't have a normal story structure. It's possible that it starts with her already in high school and doesn't show her depressing backstory.

Sure, its ~possible~ but I'd suggest you find out before you use it as a way of supporting your point.
dtm42

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:12 pm Reply with quote
I was hoping that someone who has read the Manga would see my post and then tell me if those first ten minutes were in the Manga.

But alas, I get you, who hasn't read the Manga, and who doesn't know anything about what I want to know.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 8 of 10