• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Spring 2006 Anime Preview Guide

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 11:23 am Reply with quote
tempest wrote:
Joe Mello wrote:
This just randomly popped into my head: How does the ANN staff get these episodes? Do they have friends with sattelites?

We've a lot of avenues available to us, but the easiest, quickest way is often the way of the fan...

Fansubs.

There are several ways that we could do this preview without fansubs, but it would be much more time consuming and the reviewer would have to be one of our Japanese speaking staff.

So when you see the season previews, most you can assume that most of it comes from fansubs. But when you see a single review, its quite possible that it was something provided to us by a Japanese company...

(Before someone brings it up: People always think ANN is "anti-fansub" but we aren't. We're just against certain type of fansub related behaviour... and no, this thread is not open to the fansub debate.)

-t
And there I was thinking you had a man in Japan. "your gold was brass afterall" Wink
Patachu
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 11:47 am Reply with quote
ThirdWizard wrote:
Or are they just messing with our minds?

You got it. Laughing

It's Boogiepop Suzumiya.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 12:11 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
And there I was thinking you had a man in Japan.

We do. Currently 1 full time employee in Japan, and 2 correspondents. But none are reviewers...

We don't currently have a Japanese speaking reviewer. Sad

Joe Mello wrote:
Okay. Thanks for answering. Very Happy (Though it's probably not a good idea to parade that answer around...)

Meh, I have no problem with people knowing that we used fansubs. Maybe then people will finally get it though their thivk skulls that we aren't "anti-fansub." Either that, or they'll become convinced that we're hippocrites, but the opinion of some retard that adds 2 and 2 together to get 18 really doesn't matter to me.

The only problem with using fansubs for this type of work, is that the translations aren't uniformly good. We try only to stick with groups that are known for goos translations, but there's never any guarantee.

Obviously it would be preferable if we were using a person who is fluent in Japanese to do these reviews, but that isn't possible just yet.

Worth noting, there are major magazines that also use fansubs to do their previews.

-t
Ohoni

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 12:51 pm Reply with quote
You pretty much have to. It would take years to get reviews out using legitimate channels, and what would the point of that be? Who needs reviews of shows everybody's already seen months before? Wink
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 8:06 am Reply with quote
tempest wrote:

Meh, I have no problem with people knowing that we used fansubs. Maybe then people will finally get it though their thivk skulls that we aren't "anti-fansub." Either that, or they'll become convinced that we're hippocrites, but the opinion of some retard that adds 2 and 2 together to get 18 really doesn't matter to me.

The only problem with using fansubs for this type of work, is that the translations aren't uniformly good. We try only to stick with groups that are known for goos translations, but there's never any guarantee.

Obviously it would be preferable if we were using a person who is fluent in Japanese to do these reviews, but that isn't possible just yet.

Worth noting, there are major magazines that also use fansubs to do their previews.

-t
It does look like your running on double standards though when on the one hand any funsub link is deleted but you boost using them yourselves on the other. A poacher can not be the gamekeeper as well. I take it that you are actively recruiting a Japanese speaking reviewer who can write an English report from there then? Wink
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 1:04 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
It does look like your running on double standards though when on the one hand any funsub link is deleted but you boost using them yourselves on the other. A poacher can not be the gamekeeper as well. I take it that you are actively recruiting a Japanese speaking reviewer who can write an English report from there then? Wink

You need to re-read Tempest's post again. You managed to immediately give the exact response he was talking about.

Sigh.
Ohoni

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 10:53 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

No, I get them. The "no torrent links" thing is just cowardly, not hypocritical. They aren't saying fansubs are bad, they just don't want links to them here on the off chance that they might possibly get sued for it. Fair enough.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 6:38 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:

You need to re-read Tempest's post again. You managed to immediately give the exact response he was talking about.

Sigh.
Sorry but that was my point in the first place. Like it, or not, that is the response this attitude will naturally reap. It's all down to how ethical, or respectable you people want your site to appear. If the feeling is, as tempest as said, "meh" well be it on your own collective consciences. It is your site after all. But you have to admit it's not a very good example to set for the studios whom you have to deal with, is it? If a report could only be done by unethical means then ethically that report should not have been done, wouldn't you agree? If not then I have to agree with Joe Mello. Perhaps discretion would have been the best part of valour here. I do seriously hope you hire a Japanese speaking reviewer there soon. Wink
Ohoni

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 11:02 pm Reply with quote
That all depends on whether you personally believe that responsible use of fansubs is somehow "unethical". I don't see anything remotely unethical about how ANN chose to employ them here.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 3:25 am Reply with quote
Ohoni wrote:
That all depends on whether you personally believe that responsible use of fansubs is somehow "unethical". I don't see anything remotely unethical about how ANN chose to employ them here.
Yes most here know your definition of ethics thank you. Wink
Ohoni

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 5:00 pm Reply with quote
I'm just saying, you can't attribute your sense of ethics to the staff at ANN. Just because you see something unethical in them using fansubs to give reviews when they have no alternative doesn't mean that it IS unethical.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Page 8 of 8