• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Grimgar of Fantasy and Ash (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 5:59 pm Reply with quote
Poor Ranta, even his own summoned demons call him names and tell him to die. Smile

Yeah, I think the thing with the helmet was a continuity error. They've had a few minor ones, but that's a pretty big lapse.
HelloBucket

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 10:11 pm Reply with quote
episode twelve

I was suspecting they weren't going to make it out without defeating Death Spots and the question arose as to whether they could really make that feel earned, considering that the team was clearly not prepared to do so. I think they did a good job with it. Death Spots wasn't artificially made into something weak. Haruhiro had to make a big leadership decision. His established talent for seeing those guiding light trails came through in a critical moment, and one that was set up already by Yume taking out one eye beforehand. Injuries or equipment damage was sustained by anyone who dared touch Death Spots. Very well done for a climactic fight.

Shihoru finding the confidence to use powerful attack magic instead of supportive magic was a nice little piece of character development. I also like that Moguzo having a smaller sword created out of a larger sword reflects his hobby of whittling. We even get to see why Ranta never brings the demon out when others are around.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 9:06 am Reply with quote
Episode 12 (finale)

For character growth I am also going to point towards Shihoru, that she had grown through everything and became the person who could comfort Yume, that makes a stronger character, and has been something happening the background for a while.

Looking back at this particular post is going to be a bit sad, it is the end of this season writing this and from yesterday to today it has been a long line of anime finishing and for myself writing up a forum posts summarising thoughts. Right now it is something like 13 shows in these couple days and I am kind of emotionally drained, and really it is not hard to connect that with this show. Grimgar is emotional, and in saying that it does not have to mean it makes you feel really sad or really happy, just that the plot in this show is emotions. There is a huge amount on the character moments before or after what would be the expected "battles" (usual plot), but rather than what one might call filler scenes, these all seem to have a big focus on these small moments as the real plot we are following, that there is more to their situation of killing a monster, but those killing monsters can also be big moments.

It would be easy to say copout for how Death Spot was handled, Haruhiro got his critical hit sight that allowed him to comparatively easily kill Death Spot. Although it might not be so out of place as you might think. From the beginning we have known that this is the left overs, they don't have the prowess of others at being the expected best, even beyond that we have had the topic that everyone has strengths and weaknesses, and that might be the simple end of that line of thought. This team of misfits might not have the expected strengths, but inside them are hidden talents, that Haruhiro might lack an as good affinity of many thieves, but he seems to have an affinity with that one skill that seemed to make his master a little jealous.

You probably could figure out a deeper meaning, but I think that a bit of it goes into people turning their weaknesses into strengths into weaknesses, and I could maybe makes some guesses of the others. Shihoru as I said earlier has grown, but I think one of the major strengths to her is that she is somewhat "weak", this weaknesses of her gives her an ability of understanding how another might feel with it, which is why she was so good at seeing why Mary was not running into join them. Ranta is not exactly the most sociable one, or at least is used to kind of being pushed away a bit, maybe not always the best for a team but it does give him a sense of being able to work solo and think independently of the rest, skills that may help a group if used correctly. Now with Yume I think it goes a bit into theory, not sure if it written but her habit of getting words wrong may be something like dyslexia. Dyslexia is often referred to as a learning disability, but apparently dyslexic people are better at doing things like solving certain problems and their brains just struggle with things the average person has an easier time. Their weaknesses could indicate actual strengths. You could just as much also say that strengths can also create weaknesses, like an arrogance that got someone killed.

So talking about the series as a whole. I like it, the picture book like imagery is a cool change, and when it shifts to the various images in the midpoint that can convey interesting moods it is intriguing. This took it really slow and let us really look at characters, seeing the real struggle with having to take a single life, and in general the effects of death and grief were far reaching. Not perfect, not for everyone, and not always the most efficient. But this was something different I was quite happy to see what the next episode it was, and personally I even loved the insert song moments that others groaned about. You needed some patience.

For a rating. I give it an Excellent (9/10) rating, possibly because this was a big risk and for those of us that were kind of surprised it might have paid off. Yes, I liked this show, Grimgar is an interesting idea, and I think it was portrayed well.
pinoyfreestyler

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 9:48 pm Reply with quote
Sorry for the bump but I want to ask:
Will there ever be a sequel explaining on how they ended up in Grimgar and will they ever get back to the real world (a.k.a. modern world) where they came from?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Page 8 of 8