• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Violet Evergarden Begins on Netflix in Some Territories, Not U.S.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
aiem

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:43 pm Reply with quote
FackuIkari wrote:
It's not hate or spite for the US viewers, you don't have fault on anything, it's the corporations that don't give a shit about the rest of the world....

BUT, ONE season that you don't get ONE show... and everybody loses their minds, the breakdown, the salt, the hate towards Netflix because they didn't gave you ONE show it's amazing, from the perspective of someone like me that lives in the other side of the continent this is hilarious, for once we get something that you don't and everything just goes to hell, like, damn.

I wonder what would you people react if you were in our situation, No Funimation, no Anime Strike (I don't know how Prime works here but I don't think they gave a shit), no Hidive and don't even half the catalog on Crunchyroll and Netflix, I really wonder what would you do.

Again, it's not against you but your reaction to not having ONE show is so out of proportion that is hilarious from our perspective.

First and foremost, it was already announced US will have it. So no this is not the same as not getting it at all because it wasn't licensed at your region by any company.

Second, their binge watch approach for anime releases was already under immense scrutiny by the anime viewers they're trying to target.

These two reasons alone make a huge difference to the ones you're trying to compare to. Make a proper comparison first before you blame the US audiences for overreacting.
Agent355

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:49 pm Reply with quote
Gatherum wrote:

...But I can grant the weekly community argument on, well...a community level. I still debate friends of mine on the merits and themes of certain works--sometimes during air time, and sometimes long after the fact. There-in lies my lack of understanding, though: [b[Why can you not have that community interaction anyway? Nobody is stopping any of you from coming back here when Spring hits to discuss the thing and the experience it gave to you, even if you had it all at once. The fact that Little Witch Academia passed without much notice suggests, to me, a failure in the collective attention span of the fan base sustained by its own collective sense of entitlement:[/b] It didn't drop when they wanted it, in the way they wanted it, so to hell with it! It's...sad, to say the least.

When a show comes out every week, anticipation of every weekly episode keeps the discussion going for months, even for viewers with the shortest "attention spans", because the period of time they think about the show is naturally extended by the nature of its airing schedule. This isn't just for anime; there is more discussion about prestige cable shows that come out weekly (Game of Thrones for example) than Netflix's binge model dramas. Netflix doesn't seem to get why that's valuable, but creators do-- showrunners such as Orange is the New Black's Jenji Kohan have complained about Netflix's binge model (to no avail, obviously).
Blanchimont wrote:
@Gatherum

Part of the fun is reading the comment threads for specific shows on places like MAL and Youtube as they air(Made in Abyss was pretty good example of that type of show...). Those threads will be pretty dead three months or half a year down the line so you lose that aspect, aside that they lose a lot of weight should you read them long afterwards. Not to talk about spoilers should you come across those threads before watching the show itself...

When you binge a show on your own time you might be able to find some people to discuss the show with: but when you watch week-to-week as it airs, you can converse with *hundreds* of people watching the same way you are by necessity. Bingeing tends to do away with the "communal" aspect of communal viewing.
relyat08

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:14 am Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:

I'm just responding to relyat's hypothetical scenario in which "decent human beings" should show sympathy for Americans who can't watch Evergarden so Americans may show sympathy for others in the future, a proposal I find incredibly naîve considering Americans never show any sympathy when other regions are locked out of content by arbitrary corporate politics.

Which isn't true. I always try to show as much sympathy as reasonably possible every time something like this happens, and I mostly see the same kind of expressions by everyone else I know. Like Alan45 said, there is only so much we can do, but being sympathetic, or at least conscientious and not out-right dicks, is exactly what most of us seem to be trying to do in most situations. I definitely am. I have no idea what more you expect us to do.
In any event, I do NOT see Americans mocking people in other regions when they don't have access to something. Which is exactly what a lot of people are doing here. And what I'm frustrated and saddened by. Hence my comments. I guess like Alan45, I don't necessarily need sympathy, but simple consideration, and like previously mentioned, not acting like out-right dicks, would be nice.
I've written a number of other comments about it already, so I don't really want to rehash them any more if possible.
Gatherum

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:36 am Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:

When a show comes out every week, anticipation of every weekly episode keeps the discussion going for months, even for viewers with the shortest "attention spans", because the period of time they think about the show is naturally extended by the nature of its airing schedule. This isn't just for anime; there is more discussion about prestige cable shows that come out weekly (Game of Thrones for example) than Netflix's binge model dramas. Netflix doesn't seem to get why that's valuable, but creators do-- showrunners such as Orange is the New Black's Jenji Kohan have complained about Netflix's binge model (to no avail, obviously).

When you binge a show on your own time you might be able to find some people to discuss the show with: but when you watch week-to-week as it airs, you can converse with *hundreds* of people watching the same way you are by necessity. Bingeing tends to do away with the "communal" aspect of communal viewing.

I still think Netflix's binge model could be very workable in this community if the community would give it more of a try--adapt, if you will.

But you know what? That's fair.

To be honest, I still can't relate much for reasons I already mentioned, but I'm not finding some immense fault in your logic, either. I can see my way to chalking it up to a difference in viewing habits and preferences--or even a relative lack of community sense on my part.

Last edited by Gatherum on Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:31 am; edited 1 time in total
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:14 am Reply with quote
@Gatherum

A couple of points. Having the show come out weekly in no way harms someone who wants to binge watch. All they have to do is wait until the entire show is out to watch it, which is when it would be available for binge watching in the first place.

Since Netflix is already putting the show out weekly in other countries in English any argument about them needing more time or that it is not cost effective lacks merit.

I suspect that the person or persons responsible for setting policy for the US simply don't want to change prior decisions. Unfortunately most large organizations are good at insulating decision makers from those who actually have to respond to complaints.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:52 am Reply with quote
No-one's made the point here yet, but perhaps Netflix is just gauging how viewer numbers are affected binge vs simulcast. You have to agree the setup is perfect for that. Confused ...
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:40 am Reply with quote
Blanchimont wrote:
Well, something similar happened with Dog Days'' anime on Crunchyroll. Available? Only in a few small Southest Asian countries... Of course, pretty sure most of us who were fans of the previous seasons watched it anyway.

I’m still waiting to see it.

relyat08 wrote:
You are missing the point. And to Shiroi Hane, GoldCrusader, and everyone else too. It's not about not getting one show, it's WHY this specific show is unavailable here, but not elsewhere, and trying to figure it out.

You mean like knowing Funimation has the UK rights to a show and knowing they have ways of streaming the, to the UK but it not happening:

They started uploading full episodes to a YouTube, available in the UK when they had the rights.
Then, they started simulcasting on YouTube, again unlocked (e.g. this is how I watched shows like Ookami-san and Legend if the Legendary Heroes).
Then they suddenly stopped uploading full episodes to YouTube while all their other venues were North America-only.
Then they started uploading to YouTube again, but always locked to North America.

This wasn’t one show, it was for seasons if not years and they could have done it (as is clear by the catalogue in their UK site now) but didn’t; all it takes is two letters added to the whitelist.

This is our frustration with the fuss over one show.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
relyat08

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:55 pm Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:
You mean like knowing Funimation has the UK rights to a show and knowing they have ways of streaming the, to the UK but it not happening

Yeah, exactly like that. And what I do whenever I hear about that kind of situation is share my sympathy and try to be considerate toward my UK friends because it really sucks for them. I don't say things like" HAHA SUCKS FOR YOU LOSERS!" Because I'm not 5 years old. And I realize that doesn't help the problem and only makes people bitter and instigates more frustration and resentment.
Your Schadenfreuden to me is literally what makes the world a sh*tty place.

Blanchimont wrote:
No-one's made the point here yet, but perhaps Netflix is just gauging how viewer numbers are affected binge vs simulcast. You have to agree the setup is perfect for that. Confused ...

It's a possibility for sure. It might work better if they used two different shows in the same region though, rather than a single show in different regions, since, as they seem to think, different regions, apparently have differences in how they consume media.
Agent355

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 5:18 pm Reply with quote
@Gatherum--Really glad I was able to convey the logic behind preferring watching weekly airing episodes to bingeing to you. Wish I could do the same to someone at Netflix! They claim their research found that people tend to only watch one show at a time until they complete it, and I want to yell at them that many people prefer variety when they aren't bingeing one single, long show!

relyat08 wrote:
Shiroi Hane wrote:
You mean like knowing Funimation has the UK rights to a show and knowing they have ways of streaming the, to the UK but it not happening

Yeah, exactly like that. And what I do whenever I hear about that kind of situation is share my sympathy and try to be considerate toward my UK friends because it really sucks for them. I don't say things like" HAHA SUCKS FOR YOU LOSERS!" Because I'm not 5 years old. And I realize that doesn't help the problem and only makes people bitter and instigates more frustration and resentment.
Your Schadenfreuden to me is literally what makes the world a sh*tty place.

As a fellow American, I think it's completely appropriate and validating to acknowledge that we are the ones who are usually privileged and endure a little bit of Schadenfreude, rather than hold fans who still get less access to anime than we do to the highest standard of ethics. Sure, it's the companies' fault, but as the primary customers of those companies, we don't do enough to demand equity (which is to say, we don't do anything to demand equity--I never heard of American customers sending complaints to Funimation for better service in the UK). Being frustrated is a normal human response to inequity, and the internet is the most logical place to vent.
relyat08 wrote:

Blanchimont wrote:

It's a possibility for sure. It might work better if they used two different shows in the same region though, rather than a single show in different regions, since, as they seem to think, different regions, apparently have differences in how they consume media.

I wonder when Netflix made the decision to simulcast the show in multiple territories, and who made that decision...
Alan45 wrote:

Unfortunately most large organizations are good at insulating decision makers from those who actually have to respond to complaints.

Exactly! There's the rub--there's no way to know who made this decision or what their reasoning was!
relyat08

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:51 am Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:

...rather than hold fans who still get less access to anime than we do to the highest standard of ethics.

I don't think asking people to be civil and considerate is holding them to the highest standard of ethics. It's actually pretty much on the lowest rung. Right next to, don't be an asshole and don't take pleasure in other peoples' pain.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:36 am Reply with quote
I'm gonna chime in on this conversation since there seems to be a lot of misunderstandings.
There is a lot of oh sad day for US going on now you feel how the rest of the world does.

This isn't the argument at all the US gets the licenses because they have companies to license them that are willing to pay for them and as a business see a way to make their money back. A lot of other companies licensing anime wait for US companies to do all the expensive work and then sublicense off the work Japan and the US already did. The complaints at lack of Funimation Crunchyroll HIDIVE etc. not having your show or be available in your country comes down to licensing. These companies have to see value in the extra cost and a lot of the time the extra cost doesn't justify added in extra countries. This is when your local companies come into the licensing game and need to pick up these titles. It is all about money these are companies.
The US companies have proven over the years they add some amount of value to the Japanese product hence why they get these licenses. At the very least the Japanese see a way to make money and these companies have built up relationships.

This Netflix situation comes all down to money as well. I can't prove it but my guess is Netflix has a pretty big say in how VEG is released. They are more then likely trying out the simlucast format in safe areas where they figure they can Garner results but not effect sales.
The US market is Netflixs biggest and they have spent years and millions of dollars pushing the binge watching idea. Heck I wouldn't doubt they fear adding in this series 1 episode at a time will not only confuse customers but muddy the waters and make them appear more like tradition tv. I'm sure they think their average customer may call up and complain since they cannot access the next episode.

All in all why this is an oddity is because it's a US company simlucasting to the world but not the US. And to make things even weirder they are even simlu dubbing if it was just a tradition simlucast I wouldn't even bat an eye. This is Netflix though and they don't play by the 'rules' so who knows.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Page 8 of 8