• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: More Haruhi Suzumiya Auditions

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 12:58 am Reply with quote
Malintex Terek wrote:
I should also note it's probably a good idea for Kadokawa to only use these polls as partial consideration, rather than the sole deciding factor for an audition; if the Supreme Court yielded to popular consensus instead of making decisions in the interest of preserving the status quo, the US government would be turned upside down by now.

Agreed. Casting by fan poll may have SEEMED like a good idea to get the viral campaign active, but voice actors should be cast by professionals. Of course, that's assuming that these professionals have a good grasp of the characters, the storyline, and interactions within the cast in relation to the storyline. All are important deciding factors that, many times, fans will ignore in place of their favorite voice actor or actress - getting the right voice for the character is more important than electing a fan favorite.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
rpgmaster1

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 2:54 am Reply with quote
Voices for Itsuki:
1: Johnny Yong Bosch
2: Yuri Lowenthal
3: Steve Staley
4: Dave Witenburg
5: Crispin Freeman
Interesting that Crispin Freeman is in this one, so The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya will definitely be union. Anyway, we got roles left for Kyon and Haruhi. These two roles are the most important, so Kadokawa better not screw up these characters in the casting. I guess they'll leave the singing in Japanese since that song is very popular and will be ruined if sung in English. The same goes for Mikuru's episode 00.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 3:14 am Reply with quote
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
8daze

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 3:27 am Reply with quote
Kyon's #5 sounds way too old.

I went with #2. I liked him for Kyon. #3, no, #4, decent (overacted a bit), #1 was also decent. But #2 was the one that really stood out to me as having Kyon's sarcastic edge.

Last edited by 8daze on Sun Dec 31, 2006 3:32 am; edited 1 time in total
zalas

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 3:31 am Reply with quote
I don't think any of them captures Kyon's dripping sarcasm... *sigh* 3 was probably the closest...
aegismode

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 3:34 am Reply with quote
rpgmaster1 wrote:
.I guess they'll leave the singing in Japanese since that song is very popular and will be ruined if sung in English. The same goes for Mikuru's episode 00.

I guess for me it goes like this. If they have the audacity to replace the songs in English then I will probably not buy R1 DVD in protest. I just can't see them being this sacrilegious after all that they've done. ^^

As for Kyon's voice, I picked #2. It was quite easy for me.
Nebs

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 4:25 am Reply with quote
Kyon's is hard. Of course, we pretty much knew it'd be hard to find a good English voice for him in the beginning. Like I've seen people say in other places, it's a shame that Chris Patton can't voice him. Razz But I just don't know who to choose here. 3 & 5 are outa the question, but I can't decide with the others. I like 1 & 4's voices, but the personality sounds all wrong. Crispin Freeman at #2 gets the personality down, but I don't think his voice fits (especially if he gets really worked up).

rpgmaster1 wrote:
I guess they'll leave the singing in Japanese since that song is very popular and will be ruined if sung in English. The same goes for Mikuru's episode 00.

I don't know about Mikuru's song. The point of it is that it's supposed to sound bad & home-made by a girl with a mic in her room. So I can see them translating that one, & I don't think that's a bad idea.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Malintex Terek

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 4:32 am Reply with quote
Oh gods, as if the Itsuki audition wasn't hard enough. Crispen (#2) has the acting down pretty solidly, as well as the delivery, but his voice is too high. Liam O'Brien (#1) has the best voice but he needs Crispen's delivery, articulation and speed...as such, I selected him. Man, this was painful, even for someone who favours dubs like myself. #4 would come in second place for my vote, followed by #2.

I heard O'Brien's performance as Garcher wasn't all that great, though, so hopefully (if selected) he will give a stellar performance for Kyon, provided he gets the acting down.
Richard J.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 8:37 am Reply with quote
Malintex Terek wrote:
Liam O'Brien (#1) has the best voice but he needs Crispen's delivery, articulation and speed.
I thought their voices were on par, so I went with number 2. Crispen again. I liked the feeling he put into the lines, you can tell he wanted to bring some life them. His voice just seemed the most Kyon-like to me. (Man, these poles are going everywhere. No matter who they hire, someone's going to be disappointed. Shocked )

Malintex Terek wrote:
I heard O'Brien's performance as Garcher wasn't all that great.
Garcher? Confused
Fiction Alchemist

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 9:46 am Reply with quote
delete

Last edited by Fiction Alchemist on Thu Sep 08, 2022 9:13 am; edited 2 times in total
Jedi General

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 10:26 am Reply with quote
OMG! Johnny Yong Bosch and Crispin Freeman? Man, this just keeps getting better.

Honestly, JYB sounded the best out of the 5 as Istuki, and CF sounded the best out of the 5 as Kyon, so that's how I voted.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
omnistry

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 10:50 am Reply with quote
Crispen Freeman all the way for Kyon!

#3 sounds like a drama queen (that's right: a queen!), #5 sounds like the guy who does action film trailer voice-overs, #1 sounded too easygoing. #4 was OK. He kind of reminded me of Dante from "Clerks" (Brian O'Halloran as Kyon: now that I would kill to hear).

Still: Crispin Freeman was who I always thought of when I heard Kyon in my head; and he did not disappoint. #2, baby!
CGord

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 11:06 am Reply with quote
Crispin for Kyon.

Johnny for Itsuki.

Stephanie for Mikuru.

Kate or Michelle for Yuki, Haruhi casting dependent.

.....Haruhi...1st choice Kari Wahlgren, 2nd choice Kate, 3rd choice Michelle. Assuming they auditioned.

[AS] needs to be all over this series.
MorwenLaicoriel

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 11:37 am Reply with quote
I voted for 2, Crispin. #3's the only voice that actually made me *cringe* during this entire process. It sounds like he's reading off of a script. (I'm sure he is, of course, but it shouldn't be that obvious.) It doesn't sound right at all. #5's definately too old sounding....#1's okay. #4's decent, but...there's this 'surfer dude' vibe I got from some of the lines. Anime hyper Probably just my imagination, but overall I definately like #3.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
frentymon
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 12:04 pm Reply with quote
#2 for Kyon. No contest here.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 8 of 9