• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Harmony Gold Renews License to 1st Macross, Southern Cross, Mospeada Anime Series

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stampeed Valkyrie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:38 am Reply with quote
Probably the worst news I have heard in a long time. HG is a company that has produced nothing of merit since the 1980s and acts like a copyright troll.

I guess I will have to bite the bullet and import the SDF Macross Blurays from Japan.
Advent_Nebula

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:53 am Reply with quote
Stampeed Valkyrie wrote:
Probably the worst news I have heard in a long time. HG is a company that has produced nothing of merit since the 1980s and acts like a copyright troll.

I guess I will have to bite the bullet and import the SDF Macross Blurays from Japan.

Much of the blame can be pointed to naive fans that gave money to failed kickstarters or the ones that still support the comic line.
Commander Cluck

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:03 am Reply with quote
reanimator wrote:
Oh definitely. It's all about nostalgia. Gen X'ers and some Gen Y'ers are the ones having nostalgia about Robotech and we don't see them actively celebrating the franchise all these years either.

At conventions, we don't see young people dressed up in original Macross/Robotech character costume or actively selling fan arts at conventions. If you happen to see original Macross/Robotech cosplay, it's usually some middle-aged fans dressed up as one while having their little kids tagging along (I've seen one). And those older fans don't even follow latest Macross franchise since they're too busy with their kids.

If Robotech is still a big deal, then there would be some kind of marketing blitz celebrating on every 5 anniversary years (5, 10, 15 years respectively) So far, I have not seen or read about such thing in past 25 years as anime fan and I've only seen usual Harmony Gold setting up a small panel at a local convention somewhere with some older fans line up to hear HG's latest announcement.

In my opinion, Robotech franchise is just grasping straw to stay relevant. Most of the kids who watched Robotech in 80's grew up and moved onto something else. Robotech franchise can do something to be relevant to young fans, but I noticed that their established Robotech storyline is not attracting new generation of fans and not able to produce sequels easily. Come to think of it, Harmony Gold barely finished the sequel, Shadow Chronicle, with outsourced labor from Korea and we know that IT CAN'T EVEN COMPETE with any of the Macross sequels produced in Japan in terms of quality.

If Macross Delta and Frontier are licensed in the West, young fans would rather spend money on those merchandises as they're more relevant to them.

I'm a Gen X myself (born 1976) and probably that's why I can't help myself making comment about Macross/Robotech rights nonsense. Laughing

If you ignore the current Robotech comic and other media, then sure, I guess we could say the franchise is dead and isn't beinf used. There's always been a Robotech comic since the 2000s. Various reboots, spin-offs, and etc. Even if you ignore the stalled live-action movie, and other projects, they're clearly using the franchise.

Robotech is no different than Voltron or Power Rangers. A complete American focused spin off of a Japanese media where most fans don't care about the source material. Voltron is pretty much only driven by nostalgia, as is Power Rangers. Hell, Power Rangers comics went back to the original Mighty Morphin cast because of that reason alone. Sure, it sucks, but it's how some franchises will always be remembered in America.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:07 am Reply with quote
Unlike Power Rangers, but especially like Voltron, every single remake or attempt to get a sequel off the ground has crashed and burned.

Any Robotech remake, if by some small miracle it did get made, would end up like Legendary Defender. No audience, bad toy sales, idiotic writing, and a general audience that had no craps to give because it didn’t feel or act like the original.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 12:17 pm Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:

2. The voices. The original VA for Hikaru passed away a few years back and from what I understand, Kawamori is adamant about not replacing him. Even if he did agree to recast him, recasting Minmei, replacing Mari Ijima would be an absolute nightmare for anyone trying to fill those shoes.

Didn't they already recast him for that 30th anniversary game?
TheHTRO

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 5:41 pm Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
@TheHTRO: I am being realistic about when people could legally expect to see the original version of Macross here.

No, no, no. What you're being is insensitive to the issue by (essentially) telling people that they should just accept it and move on. However, considering both the history of the franchise, and the history of the U.S. company (and, as I understand it, the questionable way they do things over there), and how both Tatsunoko and Big West are involved, this is something (and there's just no other way to put this) that no one can ever really "accept". To be completely honest, they (Harmony Gold, I mean) screwed over the license for many years, even decades to come. As a result of this, it's very unlikely that anyone will be able to (legally; don't get any ideas) see the first movie in any form, or anything else that even has the "Macross" name on it. "Public domain" indeed! What you're saying is an insult to anybody's intelligence.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:03 pm Reply with quote
Commander Cluck wrote:

If you ignore the current Robotech comic and other media, then sure, I guess we could say the franchise is dead and isn't beinf used. There's always been a Robotech comic since the 2000s. Various reboots, spin-offs, and etc. Even if you ignore the stalled live-action movie, and other projects, they're clearly using the franchise.
Considering how poorly the comics industry is faring these days, I can't imagine the Robotech comics are doing that well if even DC and Marvel can't even get any new readers. From the customer reviews I've read, most fans don't seem all that impressed with the art style in the new comics or some of the major changes to the storyline they made. Stuff like the comics and live action movie which has been stuck in development hell for decades seem like they're only made to give Harmony Gold an excuse for why they need to hold onto the license without doing anything meaningful with the license. Besides the canceled Robotech Academy, the last animated content Harmony Gold did for Robotech was their dub of Love Live Alive which was just a glorified recap special and that was six years ago. If Harmony Gold wanted to show they were serious about their license for Robotech, they could at least put out an HD Blu Ray release of the original TV cut version of Robotech with the original sound effects. Or even release the original Macross on home video. I'm not aware of what's stopping them from putting out a new sub release of the original series even if they have no interest in the sequels.
reanimator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:07 pm Reply with quote
Commander Cluck wrote:

Robotech is no different than Voltron or Power Rangers. A complete American focused spin off of a Japanese media where most fans don't care about the source material. Voltron is pretty much only driven by nostalgia, as is Power Rangers. Hell, Power Rangers comics went back to the original Mighty Morphin cast because of that reason alone. Sure, it sucks, but it's how some franchises will always be remembered in America.

Ah, I forgot about that recent Robotech comic from Titan. I'm not going to deny that Harmony Gold has been trying to reboot the franchise with various means. Even though HG's focus is people who are not anime fans, they can sell dated show for so long. Nostalgia can go so far without new blood. So what if HG has Robotech comic book rehashing old story with janky art and possible live action movie? Are new young fans clamoring to buy Robotech merchandise thanks to reboot effort? Young people may not know the franchise's history, but they're savvy enough to find out what's Japanese or not.

Like I stated, most of 80's kids grew out of it and recently failed crowdfunding projects seem like Robotech is not that hot. Where were all the older Robotech fans, even young fans, when those crowdfunding project were launched? I'm not talking about anime fans. Where are the non-anime fans for this? Even "successful" Robotech TRPG game kickstarter couldn't fulfill the pledge properly and no fan is hardcore enough to put money on very top tiers. The whole Robotech franchise lacks substance to me.

When Harmony Gold's acts like they own Macross even though they don't actually own it, karma is going against them. When they run the business with such deceit, the outcome is never pretty. Other than putting Macross on American TV's, they wasted resource on establishing short-sighted storyline and blocked Macross sequels in favor of disjointed Robotech nonsense.

Quote:
Unlike Power Rangers, but especially like Voltron, every single remake or attempt to get a sequel off the ground has crashed and burned.

Any Robotech remake, if by some small miracle it did get made, would end up like Legendary Defender. No audience, bad toy sales, idiotic writing, and a general audience that had no craps to give because it didn’t feel or act like the original.

I don't know...Voltron remake got 8 seasons on Netflix, so it's doing alright, i guess? I think Voltron lucked out on remake because the originals weren't tied down to continuity storyline (Robotech generation nonsense) that links 3 different shows). There is no post TV storyline (novels) unlike Robotech. So I think the remake creators got more freedom to come up with new story without pegged down by established story from novels.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:10 pm Reply with quote
It’s only 8 seasons if you count the six episodes or so in half of them as seasons. They had a 76 episode guaranteed run and not one more, which they burned off.

And that’s 76 more than we’ll ever see out of Robotech.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:42 pm Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:

Remember when Carl Macek planned to have a Robotech sequel where they would have a new episode for every weekday of the year?
Crispy45

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:36 am Reply with quote
Advent_Nebula wrote:
Toei and Shout Factory seem to have a pretty good relationship right now, I can see them grabbing the licence. Hell, they are likely working with Hasbro to continue releasing Sentai over here.

I don't think it's as good as people would like to think it is. There's no doubt a reason why Shout Factory isn't allowed to release any kind of semi-recent sentai series on home video. No doubt Hasbro has a very clear "don't release anything made in the last 15 years that could compete with any of our recent Power Rangers stuff" clause in their contract. Which means we'll be getting a release of the current Ryusoulger series around 2035.
reanimator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:47 am Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
Beatdigga wrote:

Remember when Carl Macek planned to have a Robotech sequel where they would have a new episode for every weekday of the year?

I cannot remember how many episodes are in Robotech sequel episodes supposed to be. I do remember reading skyrocketing Yen value affecting the sequel's production cost according to Robotech Art 3 book.

BTW, I rather read Macross Ace from Kadokawa than janky looking Robotech comics from Titan.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:01 am Reply with quote
How much money that Tatsunoko Production agreed to this?

Harmony Gold couldn't have had that much money.

Somebody else could've likely outbid them if Tatsunoko Production had shopped around.
reanimator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:38 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
How much money that Tatsunoko Production agreed to this?

Harmony Gold couldn't have had that much money.

Somebody else could've likely outbid them if Tatsunoko Production had shopped around.

Maybe Harmony Gold has a secret stash somewhere? LOL

Joke aside, Harmony Gold makes money off from real estate, B-grade movies, and other venues so it's not surprising for them to have some money laying around to renew the deal.

Even if local anime publisher or broadcaster licensed Macross from Tatsunoko, the how much royalties can they provide in long term? It seem like Harmony Gold has good track record on providing steady royalty to Tatsunoko for decades and with some Hollywood connection. Probably Tatsunoko felt safer to have HG than some anime publisher.

I think the answer lies on this:
Quote:
Also as a result of the Big West litigation, Tatsunoko asked Harmony Gold to protect Macross trademarks outside of Japan, and agreed that Harmony Gold could deduct legal fees from royalties paid to Tatsunoko. Tatsunoko also disputed this agreement in its counterclaims, but again the court ruled in favor of Harmony Gold.

animenewsnetwork.com/news/2017-09-14/harmony-gold-macross-mospeada-southern-cross-licenses-still-expire-in-2021/.121372

Basically Tatsunoko got screwed over by litigation that favors Harmony Gold. Tatsunoko doesn't seem to have money to deal with legal fees, so it made a devil's deal with Harmony Gold to offset the cost.
falseinfinity

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 4:14 pm Reply with quote
Among other things, Harmony Gold owns owns a theater which has been used for some of the recent Director's Guild interview podcasts. (HG is mentioned at around the 1:10 mark in each podcast)
Examples:
https://www.dga.org/Events/2019/June2019/AvengersEG_QnA_0519.aspx
https://www.dga.org/Events/2019/Oct2019/Tarantino_OnceUponATimeInHollywood_QnA_0919.aspx
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Page 8 of 8