• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
[OT] Interests BESIDES Anime?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TestamentSaki

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 9:53 am Reply with quote
Wouln't like to make you angry, pal... I forgot to mention before that I like to cook too (but for lots of people). If my mom decides to do a dinner party and such, I usually do salads or rice... Although my specialty are BBQ Pork Ribs (I actually improved my mom's recipe Anime hyper) and a mean Roman lettuce salad with mayonnaise-wiengar dressing with finely chopped ham n_nU

And well, I wasn't very convinced of doing it,but I'll leave a link of One of my pictures here. I'm not very good at it (I know I make a million mistakes every time I take my mech pencil) but heck, I enjoy it Anime catgrin + sweatdrop

Whoops... That one was handmade (except for the coloring...)... This one was made on Paint and colored with PhotoShop Anime catgrin + sweatdrop *Runs away
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 2:15 am Reply with quote
Craeyst Raygal wrote:
I'm suddenly reminded I come from a generation back of fandom, in that I have seen no one mention Isaac Asimov, Edgar Rice Burroughs, or Robert A. Heinlein amongst their favorite authors. Crying or Very sad

Mr Asimov is one of my fav authors actually. I simply didn't list any at all because I have too many. I have 2 book shelves for just books and 1 for manga. These are for current titles and unread titles. All the previously read stuff are in boxes in the attic wrapped up. Only about 4-5 of them. I also mean big 3ft by 3 ft (approximate) boxes.

BTW Testament, I think the picture was good. I say keep it up and I'm sure you can improve even more. That's the one thing I don't have a lot of. Artistic talent. I can color real good lol. I love using needle work and stuff and I'm great at detail work but the base design and actual drawing I suck at. I love doing lots of things and learning new skills but that's one I just can't seem to pick up. As for making me mad, if I'm cooking you're safe. That's my anger management. I seriously will get up and cook at 1 or 2 am if I'm just really pissed or had a bad day. Of course watching food network at 2am does not help at all. I cook for all sizes of groups too. I'm a member of the Knights of Columbus (catholic thing) and we host many charity events including a few "meals" throughout the year. I always wind up as the main cook and over the years over members of my council, and friends and family, have actually hired me to cater events. Most are smaller to medium sized, around 40-70 people. Done a few 100+ dinners before. Largest ever was a 250+ dinner once. My council actually hosted the state installation party. Every 2 years officers are elected for the chair positions. Each council has their own little dinner to celebrate. Some state officials come and it's a big deal. Now, once a year there's a state dinner as a sort of combination for all the councils. Mostly just hand shaking stuff. My council is smaller so we never host stuff like that. Well over the years our cooking has earned a good reputation and the new state Warden (3rd in command basically for state) was from our council. So he of course recommended us and they agreed. We can hold up to 325 in our church hall so there was space. I got a call 1 week before to tell me that our small council dinner was being replaced by this big one. I had agreed to cook already but the number jumped from 40 people coming to about 250. I almost passed out. It started at 7pm and even with prep work the night before I was there from 8am until midnight. What a day. Not doing that again anytime soon. I had help of course.
kyokun703

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 2:00 pm Reply with quote
Since Tony K. said it was okay to revive, I'm doing it!
undeadben wrote:

I also love children's books, I have finally managed to collect every book I remember reading when I was young. English is my second language so I started late, but I still remember how much fun i had reading books from Beverly Cleary, Jean Craighead George, London, and many others growing up, and I still take the time to read through one of those stories for old times sake whenever the urge kicks in. And I also like some of todays children's works, Lemony Snickets: A Series of Unfortunate Events, even if a bit dark, is almost brilliant in the way it develops from book to book, especially the latter ones which all finally start to bring all the events together to an the eventual end. The darkness in the series reminds me a lot of the Grimm's stories.

That's so cool that you like kids' books! I also have a large collection of kids' books, both current (stuff that's being published today like Harry Potter and Lemony Snicket) and old nostalgia books. I also love Beverly Cleary books (my favorites are the Henry, Beezus, and Ramona books which are illustrated by Louis Darling; I'm not crazy about the Ramona books with the newer illustrator). I also love The Great Brain books, Roald Dahl's books, and the Time Trilogy (+ Many Waters) by Madeline L'Engle. Oh, and Narnia!

Other interests besides anime... I love World of Warcraft. Just this weekend I hit 70 with my first character. Now I need to PvP like crazy so that I can get good armor and into my friends' guild (they have crazy rules, like I have to have 9000 health and 150 resilience, and my poor hunter has only 7000 health and no resilience). Good thing it's Alterac Valley weekend, my favorite.

Reading, as mentioned above. I have 11 bookcases full of books, comic books, and manga. I'll read anything, but mostly have urban and epic fantasy, mystery, science, and a ton of advanced reader copies from when I worked in a bookstore. I really miss the ARCs. Favorite authors include Terry Pratchett, Kelley Armstrong, Sarah Dessen, Janet Evanovich, and Elizabeth Peters. For comic books, I'm currently reading the Buffy Season 8 series and Runaways, both of which are being written by Joss Whedon for the time being, and Joss Whedon is practically a god. Smile I used to be into the whole X-Universe, but that got way out of hand, so I stopped.

And finally, I love going out and trying new foods. I love eating. Fortunately, my metabolism is decent, and I'm not terribly overweight. Maybe about 5-10 lbs. I love most things ethnic and spiced, and am mostly willing to try anything once. I think the weirdest thing I've eaten is lengua (tongue) on a taco. It wasn't bad, once I got past seeing the tastebuds. The best thing I've eaten recently was a Carolina bbq pulled pork sandwich from Baby Blues BBQ in LA. I regularly make trips down to LA to visit my best friend, and we go out my entire visit to try all sorts of things. Next trip is okonomiyaki since they were sadly closed the last time and some famous hot pastrami sandwich.
frentymon
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 2:10 pm Reply with quote
kyokun703 wrote:
Next trip is okonomiyaki since they were sadly closed the last time and some famous hot pastrami sandwich.

I had a bad experience with okonomiyaki...the last time I tried it (which incidentally was also my first time) it was a make-it-yourself kind of thing, and I didn't know how to keep the thing together, so it ended up looking like scrambled eggs. Fortunately it still tasted good, although I ended up putting in too much sauce and it was more salty than I wanted it to be. The people next to me looked like they were trying to suppress laughter, in a kind of "silly foreigner...doesn't know how to eat okonomiyaki properly" way...
kyokun703

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 2:19 pm Reply with quote
frentymon wrote:
kyokun703 wrote:
Next trip is okonomiyaki since they were sadly closed the last time and some famous hot pastrami sandwich.

I had a bad experience with okonomiyaki...the last time I tried it (which incidentally was also my first time) it was a make-it-yourself kind of thing, and I didn't know how to keep the thing together, so it ended up looking like scrambled eggs. Fortunately it still tasted good, although I ended up putting in too much sauce and it was more salty than I wanted it to be. The people next to me looked like they were trying to suppress laughter, in a kind of "silly foreigner...doesn't know how to eat okonomiyaki properly" way...

Yeah, there's a do it yourself place in Torrance that's gotten good reviews, but I'm a bit nervous at doing it by myself. There's also a place in LA's Little Tokyo that does it for you; maybe we'll try that one. Then again, my friend is not one to balk at a challenge, so we'll probably end up at the Torrance one and have a big messy okonomiyaki.
haruhifan1200

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 4:58 pm Reply with quote
Besides anime and manga, I love to read a good novel (my favorite is The Giver. Can't wait for the movie!) I watch a lot of American films as well, and a few Japanese live-actions.
I love music, too...alternative indie rock is what I listen to the most. I really like the band Tegan and Sara.
And sports!!! I am a swimmer and I'm on a team, and I have practice 6 days a week. I also do running when it's in season.
mathious

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 5:52 pm Reply with quote
well in a way I answered this before in the Meet ANN/Tell us about yourself thread.
mathious wrote:

likes: driving, anime, manga, food, sleeping, video game, playing with my dog, ignoring my mom just to get her irritated, working, hanging out with friends, and of course ANN
favorite games: kindom hearts and the Final Fantasies
favorite drink: chocolate malt
favotite foods: pizza, ramen noodles, salads, chicken, lasagna, steak, spagetti, and mexican food
favorite sports: soccer, rugby, football, and discus (which isn't exactly a sport)
favorite music: I'm going to do my favorite bands Nickelback, Daughtry, Lincoln Park, 3 Doors Down, Def Leppard, etc.

I suppose I could add a few more I like to cook, do wood work, taking baths every couple of weeks since I have my own bathtub in my own bathroom which is in my own Master Bedroom, I also like to go through the trap doors in my room to the attic and below the house (it's not exactly a basement but it is close), I don't know why but I also like to shop (I guess that's because ever since my parents got divorced I've lived with my mom), I also enjoy wrestling because it's a sport where I can use my anger towards some thing else than wood (that hurts after you've done it a while), and finally I like to call my mom a midget because she was always saying when I was younger that I'm not as tall as her yet so it's fun now that I'm taller that my mom. Anyways that should be enough for now.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 7:51 pm Reply with quote
What kinds of food do you like to cook mathious? I also assume between your every other week baths you shower too lol.
epixeltwin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 11:27 pm Reply with quote
Late for replying to this Embarassed

My life revolves around 2 things basically: School and part-time jobs. But they are not my "interests", they are things I must do.

Besides that

-I work out, I've been doing that quite a lot recently
-I hang out with friends, occasionally go out in a club or bar since I'm 18 y/o now.
-I fool around, eat, go out in the city
-I rarely, if ever, play video games...I've been a hardcore gamer for a little while though, when I was into Counter-Strike and WoW

and I enjoy the countryside and nature, as well as reading a good book and relaxing in my hammock Smile[/b]
riccardo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 2:11 am Reply with quote
I'm a sports tragic. Most weekends you'll find me at the Aussie Rules cheering for St Kilda Saints, Rugby Leagues Melbourne Storm (and the state team of Queensland and the country) or the Melbourne Victory (and Australia) in the soccer.

I'm also pretty interested in pro wrestling, and was even a manager for a short time. The local product is pretty ordinary, but I like TNA and WWE.

Thats pretty much it, I have dabbled in Warhammer role playing games, but I'm not great at it.
Amasa

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 3:52 am Reply with quote
I guess I could explain more from the Tell Us About Yourself thread.

At the moment I don't really have the computer to watch anime and I'm slowly coming to the realization that watching streamed anime is awful, so I have to wait until I get back to Australia to buy nice fresh and chunky anime DVDs.

This gives me time to discover new hobbies and also enjoy old ones. If you could call foruming a hobby then I'd consider it one of mine. I hardly watch anime anymore (well actually I start at least 3 new series a week but get bored by the end of the first episode and drop it), but I spend a lot of time on anime forums and enjoy. I also learn a lot from it, even if it's not about anime, which is great and keeps me coming back.

Reading novels is something I've always loved. I mainly read fantasy or philosophy, my favourite books being The Outsider by Albert Camus, and The Wheel of Time by Robert Jordan. I'm so surprised that nobody on ANN seems to be a WoT fan, on another forum I visit nearly every member has read the series. I've just started book 8 so I haven't been a fan for long, but I know I'll be one for life Smile . It's excellent, and since I'm a feminist in the making it's a good fantasy series to start on. The series has also inspired me to start writing fanfic, which will remain hidden in my draw for as long as I can help it, and now I can't go a day without writing something - whether it's my blog or something spontaneous that pops into my head when I'm at school.
I don't read much manga. I read Nausicaa and that ruined the film for me and since then I stopped because I decided anime would be a cheaper hobby in the long run.

Travelling, having wealthy parents has helped most of my hobbies (I buy anime on my dad's credit card Twisted Evil ) and yes, I'm a spoilt rich kid and I've gotten over the stage where I try to deny it. I've spent a lot of time in Greece and Cyprus where my family comes from, as well I've holidayed in Israel, Egypt, South Africa (more like locked up behind electric wires), Indonesia, England and now I'm spending a year in Japan. I love studying cultures and people, I honestly find nothing more interesting and most of the time at school here I just spend watching the people and how they react to each other and the trends.
I should also say that a reason I love travelling is because I'm a biggy for airports and the smell of airoplanes. I don't know why but I love the whole atmosphere of travelling. Especially when I don't have to spend any of my own money. Well, I'm allowed to enjoy it while I can anyway.

While in Japan I've picked up a new hobby that I'll struggle to live without when I return. 弓道, Kyu-dou that's how it must be spelt in english, is so great. Japanese archery but it's so different to archery. It's as much of a sport as calligraphy is and hitting the target matters as much as how you stand and where to bow and how you wear the uniform. It's all about discipline and finesse and is probably the last thing I would have ever expected myself to enjoy. Now I can't go a day without it pretty much. It's probably the first and only sport I have ever enjoyed (if you can call it a sport), I was always so bad at team sport and lost every single game of tennis I played for the 6 years I played it. I took a break from sport for the end of high school and now I've found one that I love that is non-existent in Australia Crying or Very sad .

I also can't live without my music, mostly my indie music. I'm a fan of nearly every Matador band and knew of a lot of indie bands before indie became not so indie (thank you OC) - not that I'm one of those people who thinks something's cool because it's not mainstream. I just think too many bands sound the same now. Anyway, some of my favourite bands include Yo La Tengo, And You Will Know Us By The Trail Of Dead..., Four Tet, Mum, Sigur Ros, Goldfrapp, Cornelius. I'm also a bit of a Bjork fan and I love The Velvet Underground with Nico.
I like most genres of music. I love classical especially. I also listen to chill-out whenever I read so I have a pretty big collection, every Air album, Boards of Canada, Thievery Corporation, every Lemon Jelly album and a lot of Royksopp.

Anyway, I'm not really disappointed that I have no unique hobbies like weaponry.......I've also never been a big game fan. Well that's not true, every year a cycle through the same games that were released about 6 years ago. My favourites being Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri (that game was seriously the best), Rollercoaster Tycoon 2, 3DO's Heroes and Might and Magic games are awesome, Diablo 2 and of course The Sims. I played World of Warcraft for a year but then quit for various reasons like most people. Since then I've gained a strange...affinity.... for female dwarves and I've been searching for another mmo to play where I can go female dwarf (Vanguard it seems). They're just so cute and awesome. My friends call me a freak because I can't play an RPG now without being a female dwarf. Strange, eh?

That's about it. Actually I could go on about my big film obsession in high school but I have to go.
musashi1600

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 4:03 am Reply with quote
Other than anime, my only other sigificant hobbies are gaming and road biking. The former is mostly focused on WoW right now; I used to spend more time on my PS2 playing stuff like Warship Gunner 2, Shadow of the Colossus, and Ace Combat Zero, but that has dwindled down to the occasional Okami session. Road biking is something I took up last year as a way to get exercise, and it's a great way to take my mind off things.

I also enjoy a good novel, but the problem is I read books quickly, so I rarely have one last more than a week or two before I finish it. The last book I read (A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini) managed to last about two weeks, but only because I'm working full time over the summer.
chrisb
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 4:28 am Reply with quote
haruhifan1200 wrote:
Besides anime and manga, I love to read a good novel (my favorite is The Giver. Can't wait for the movie!)

Awesome another The Giver fan, I wanted to do a book report so badly on The Giver in high school, but teachers kept telling me it was too juvenille, I also can't wait for the new movie.

Personally my interest beyond anime and manga are football (my favorite sport!), I used to play in school but it sorta stopped being cool when people were more for winning than fun but I continued with it because I still enjoyed the sport. I used to be really into working out and I will probably continue now that I have more free time. I'm currently practcing to play baseball because it's something I've alway wanted to play but I never really got involved in. I used to enjoy writing and drawing a lot, I wrote my own comics and a lot of high school kids, I was surprised, really liked them (they were very girl oriented, sue me) and I'm also a fan of swimming and I enjoy politics, getting involved in issues and researching both sides.

I love experiencing new types of music and have really gotten into the mix of hip-hop and jazz (think Samurai Champloo) and I'm also really into indie and ambient music. Currently I'm practicing the piano, the most beautiful sounds have come out from a piano in my opinion.
banas

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 7:09 am Reply with quote
Other hobbies? Of course there is. I may be an addict but I know how to live. Very Happy Let's see... well, I do write- I'm a member of our school paper. I also love reading books, but only if I have free time, which nowadays I don't. I'm currently reading Two Daughters by.. I forgot. Oh well. I've been reading it on and off and I really get crazy over not finishing it when it's so short (only about 300 pages or so-short right?) and all the things that hinder me from reading it. And, I listen to music, which is mostly anime, so maybe that doesn't count...and um, I love watching other shows besides anime...um...what else?...i can't think of any hobby I often do anymore...I guess that's all..oh, and of course, surfing the 'Net..if that's a hobby or an addiction.
banas

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 7:18 am Reply with quote
haruhifan1200"
Besides anime and manga, I love to read a good novel (my favorite is The Giver. Can't wait for the movie!)

Really?? The Giver will have a movie?? I never knew that! I love that book! I even have a copy ('coz i mostly borrow the books i read)...thanks for the info.

I forgot to throw in playing video games, though not much. I really like Final Fantasy and Kingdom Hearts...um...Sims and Harvest moon?...whatever... Very Happy
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 8 of 10