• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 5 Worst Anime Relationships

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Heishi

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 11:26 pm Reply with quote
Well, I shall continue to defend Chikane x Himeko to the bitter end.
Gray Lensman

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 11:52 pm Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:
Gray Lensman wrote:

I think the only one of those I have seen is Happy Sugar Life - and everything about that show is supposed to be disturbing.

Oh I know it is...but what bothers me is people unironically ship that. Shocked Confused I mean...wtf? xD

It might actually be the healthiest relationship on that show. Let that sink in for a moment, before you run away from your keyboard screaming.... Wink
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 11:54 pm Reply with quote
StarfighterPegasus wrote:
Hinata should have been given more screen time and giving her a movie doesn't really make up for the neglect she was given. I think its a rule in romantic storytelling that the reader and or watcher will pair up the main hero and heroine of the story and to many the main heroine of Naruto is Sakura.

The problem with this is that Sakura wasn't really the "main" heroine she was strictly a supporting character who was given a lot of screentime and focus but no purpose in the overall the story i.e. Naruto wants to become Hokage, Sasuke wants to avenge the destruction of his clan, Sakura ???. They did try to get her some degree of motivation after the Sasuke retrieval arc with her wanting to become stronger so as to not become deadweight and eventually co-opted Naruto's ambition to save Sasuke but otherwise not much. So she had no more reason to be a legitimate relationship with Naruto than Hinata did.

Sakura is actually worse than Hinata, honestly. I dislike Sakura for the same reasons I dislike characters like Naru Narugesawa.
I actually liked Sakura in the beginning when she seemed to be the one to keep Naruto under control in a though abusive but motherly way.[/quote]

Mothers. good mothers don't tend to physically abuse their kids. And quite a few times Sakura beat up Naruto for no good reason.

By shoving Hinata to the background it weakens the relationship building between the two characters giving the feeling that Hinata was more of an after thought, showing the weakness in Kishimoto's writing which shouldn't be there because the Naruto series excels at relationship building between characters.

Ehhhh not really other than say the friendship between Choji & Shikamaru and the rivalry between Lee & Neiji. A good majority of the relationships platonic,romantic, & otherwise were not really well developed.

Like for example we discover that Asuma,Sarutobi, & Konohamaru are all related to one another but due to barely any focus on their blood ties to one another their relationship with each other comes off as estranged. We later find out that Asuma's mother, Sarutobi's wife was killed by Obito when Kurama attacked the village which at least is where we can assume is where their relationship fell apart but of course the series never really confirms this.

Top Gun wrote:
Gonna second Sasuke and Sakura. Sure girl, have your childhood crush on the surly brooding hot kid. That's fine. Now continue to desperately cling to said crush after he betrays your whole village, joins up with its greatest enemy, joins up with its other greatest enemies, tries to kill its leader, tries to kill you on multiple occasions, tries to kill your closest comrade on even more occasions, and just acts like a complete irredeemable douche in general.

In the interest of fairness Sasuke only sought out Orochimaru for power and when he got what he needed from him he got distanced himself away from him. Whereas with Obito he didn't know Obito attacked the village (or helped carry out the massacre of his clan) and only decided to turn his wrath on Konoha after discovering Danzo was the one who greenlit the massacre of his clan and essentially got a slap on the wrist for it all of which the village elders thought would be a good idea to him to keep from him I'm guessing figuring out he'd never find out.

Plus when you're led to believe your brother who you idolized, brutally murdered your parents for no good reason and in the process lose the capacity to love or make friends it of course is going to cause problems. Also if you look at what Konoha essentially did with Orochimaru, The Cloud Village, & The Sand Village who did far worse towards the village Sasuke getting off mostly easy at the end wasn't as bad as some like to make it out to be.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 12:51 am Reply with quote
Gray Lensman wrote:

It might actually be the healthiest relationship on that show. Let that sink in for a moment, before you run away from your keyboard screaming.... Wink

LOL I dunno...AsahixShouko seemed fine? Though he might not have been ready for a relationship...it at least had potential and nice interaction.... Crying or Very sad

@Heishi

Sorry man, all I can think about is the spoiler[rape]. I don't get how any relationship could possibly be salvaged after that. It makes no sense from a writing standpoint not to mention spoiler[ grossly offends rape victims.]
Heishi

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 1:10 am Reply with quote
With all the controversy surrounding shows like Goblin Slayer and such, a show like KnM might be considered to the caliber of those kinds of shows, controversy wise. I think if it was made today, the internet would lose its collective mind over it and make it super popular, which would make me happy.
Better an “actual canon” couple like CHIMEKO than something fake and “supposedly implied” stuff like NanoFate.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 1:23 am Reply with quote
Heishi wrote:
I think if it was made today, the internet would lose its collective mind over it and make it super popular, which would make me happy.

The internet would lose its mind all right...but not in a good way. People kept screeching about Reylo in Star Wars "because it's abusive". Think how they'd react to sexual abuse which is of course "worse" because the internet now hates "anything sexual with minors under 18". Rolling Eyes Yuri or not...KnM would not be well-received today, I'm positive about that.
BlaséReviewer

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 5:08 am Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
You are right, that anime loves extreme levels of forgiveness. Want to commit genocide, murder my family and everyone else in the world. We forgive you in the name of friendship.
Yeah. (Sadly, I am not even joking, this actually happened)

If it was just a normal clan conflict, you would be right. Enemies can be friends after the war was over. But this was not a normal clan conflict, it was something much more monstrous. That Sasuke willingly chose to participate in. We really shouldn't even give a thought to Sasuke, he is not worth even a tear. I just feel pity and sadness for Sakura.

I don't think they either cautionned his intentions or didn't try to prevent him from acting on it.
Also the way you say it make it sounds like the mindset people can be in at a time defines them whereas it's not that simple. It's not like Sasuke was in this mindframe come the final arc anymore or like he actually carried on with it yet was still forgiven. Had that been the case I could have gotten behind this reasoning.

And if you think he was easily forgiven, maybe his teammates forgave him but I'm not so sure about the rest of the village.

Finally one last thing: "murder everyone else in the world"... Nowhere was it stated in the manga that he intended to kill every single living being. That statement is a bit overblown.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 7:17 am Reply with quote
I will have to disagree with inclusion of the Shield Hero pairing. First, they never were a romantic couple, at least in the context of the first season anime, as others have already mentioned. Second, Naofumi was thrust into a situation were it was literally either due or die and only one way out.

Let's consider, if I myself was put into a situation where the choice was either to perish, or act in a way that may be perceived as reprehensible by modern moral standards, at least on the level of this, I'd sure as hell pick the latter choice. So yeah, vilify me as much as you want, but thrust into Naofumi's situation, I too would make use of a slave and live another day...

Also,because of the special benefits of his Hero title, being a 'slave' to Naofumi gives benefits in growth, which sometimes are on the level of plot-essential, spoiler[a fact used as a major plot point in later volumes].

Besides, not that it matters much as this article pertains to the anime adaptation(though I have to seriously question their inclusion as a couple in this to begin with precisely because of it), later in the novels spoiler[when Raphtalia receives his 'Vassal' title in the other world after obtaining her katana, her slave status is automatically removed from that point forward], though we will likely see that happen in the next season.
Heishi

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 10:45 am Reply with quote
Disagreed. Of course, they would not react well to it, that was my point. But people would react to the reactors and retaliate through unmitigated support.
I don’t think they would hate the whole “under 18” stuff.
I think Reylo did have a fair share of supporters out there and again, while KnM would be crucified by the “Twitter” Audience, I think a part of the internet would still defend it. I think Citrus had the same kind of reception.
I believe it was Vaush who made a case for “problematic sexual content” in anime.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 12:07 pm Reply with quote
I think you are taking the scene too lightly. :/

I haven't seen Citrus but I hear it's 'borderline sexual assault' but doesn't romanticize it. Nothing was 'borderline' about what happens in spoiler[KnM episode 08. It wasn't just a kiss without consent. It wasn't just grabbing breasts for comedic effects. It's straight out of a horror/hentai scene. A girl thrashing around, sobbing and screaming "No" in terror as someone has their way with her. And that someone, instead of being punished for her irredeemable actions, is rewarded in the end.]

That's the part that really appalls me. Not just that the abuse happens...but how it's treated in the narrative. Even SAO's author who gets endless crap for having rape in his story has enough decency to treat it as a horrible crime that only a villain could commit. And that villain IS severely punished like he should be.

You'll defend KnM's case by saying spoiler["But it was to save her life!"]

Uh huh.

To which, I'll respond:

And that is a sick way to write a "love" story.

Her virginity or her life? Choose.

Like really? REALLY!? You couldn't think of a better plot than THAT!?

*flips table across room* Twisted Evil

Kaishaku didn't HAVE to write it that way but they chose to because I think they're damn perverts getting off to scenes like that.

This is why I despise everything by Mayu Shinjo; all of her stories are written just like that, only it's a creepy man violating a girl instead of a creepy girl violating a girl. The woman has a rape fetish so she writes about it. And then they fall in "loooove" how cute. Haha [bleep]YOU, SHINJO.

I ship plenty of ships that people would call 'problematic' but I have my limits. This kind of specific problem cannot be justified in my eyes. Keep that crap in hentai where it belongs. I get so angry over this kind of plot that I get angry just typing about it!
SailorNaruto

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 6:09 pm Reply with quote
Why isn't Sakura and Sasuke up here, or Naruto and Hinata?

Sakura came off as a fan girl in the first series only wanting Sasuke for superficial reasons and then it escalated in the second series where Sakura still clung to Sasuke even after the guy tried to kill her twice and put her in a horrible mind trap. That made Sasuke the worst boyfriend material and Sakura desperate for love, sending the wrong message to the audience. "If you keep trying a person who has little to no interest in you will fall into your arms. Don't give up" That is a horrible message. No wonder Kishimoto said Sakura was one of his biggest regrets.

Naruto and Hinata are not much better. first off the series is called Naruto so if they are going to give Naruto a love interest it has to be someone who gets as much focus as the hero. Which means Hinata should have had Sakura's spot on the team. It tells the reader or watcher that this character is Naruto's main love interest. By shoving Hinata to the background it weakens the relationship building between the two characters giving the feeling that Hinata was more of an after thought, showing the weakness in Kishimoto's writing which shouldn't be there because the Naruto series excels at relationship building between characters.

Hinata wasn't very interesting and she had limited interactions with Naruto, choosing early on that she would be with him despite the two having little chemistry between them. Making Hinata come off as desperate and a stalker to a degree. It isn't really healthy to wait for your lover to fall into your arms.

Then there was the character baiting of Naruto x Sakura during Shippuden that really grinded my gears because it shows that Kishimoto knows how to write a romantic pairing.

Sorry but it was always extremely obvious that Naruto and Hinayana would end up together. The quiet girl who loved him while everyone else hated him, and was inspired by him to become strong and fight? There was literally no other way it could’ve went. It’s a misconception to think just because someone is the titular hero they’re supposed to be with other main characters. Also blame her lack of interactions with him on Kishimoto being lackluster when it comes to writing female characters. Hinata was a side character, meaning she was destined to be pushed to the side while the main characters get all of the development. And even though she had limited on screen time every time she appeared she made a big impact. When she spoiler[risked her life jumping in to fight Pain knowing she had 0 chance against him], or when spoiler[Obito came close to breaking Naruto’s will to fight she she snapped him out of it, telling him not to let Neji and everyone else’s death be in vain. He even said it was thanks to her being by his side that he was able to fight again]

IMO she developed as a character nicely with what little she was given. Sasuke and Sakura were just an all around trash couple so I’ll give you that
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 7:46 pm Reply with quote
BlaséReviewer wrote:
I don't think they either cautionned his intentions or didn't try to prevent him from acting on it.
Also the way you say it make it sounds like the mindset people can be in at a time defines them whereas it's not that simple. It's not like Sasuke was in this mindframe come the final arc anymore or like he actually carried on with it yet was still forgiven. Had that been the case I could have gotten behind this reasoning.

And if you think he was easily forgiven, maybe his teammates forgave him but I'm not so sure about the rest of the village.

Finally one last thing: "murder everyone else in the world"... Nowhere was it stated in the manga that he intended to kill every single living being. That statement is a bit overblown.

Think you are misunderstanding. The first paragraph was not about Naruto per se, but rather anime's penchant for extreme forgiveness. My example was from Yuki Yuna is a Hero.

Still did Sasuke express remorse and apologize for his uncountable evil actions, and did Sasuke ask forgiveness from all those he harmed? If there was a Sasuke apology tour episode, I must have missed it.

Only in anime can you do so much evil, and then be friends or spouses with the people you have harmed.
Minos_Kurumada

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 7:58 pm Reply with quote
Hummm... I completely understand the train of mind to add Naru and Keitaro... the problem is that it is not the worst guy-does-something-to-piss-the-girl-off-and-gets-punched slapstick comedy.

Ranma 1/2 was way, way worse than anything on Love Hina, not just Akane punched Ranma all the time even when she was not mad at him just because, but Akane also has superhuman strength and martial arts training.

Keitaro may have been punched twice an episode, Akane could punch Ranma 10 times per episode and be sent literally flying.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 8:40 pm Reply with quote
Minos_Kurumada wrote:

Keitaro may have been punched twice an episode, Akane could punch Ranma 10 times per episode and be sent literally flying.

RIGHT? I hate both of the pairs. xD They're like 'love-hate' but done so badly with like 10% 'like' and 90% hate.

Rumiko learned with Inuyasha and Kagome. They argue a lot but the series is filled with super tender moments. I was able to buy that they loved each other.♥
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 10:51 pm Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:
Rumiko learned with Inuyasha and Kagome. They argue a lot but the series is filled with super tender moments. I was able to buy that they loved each other.♥

Quite true, but Ranma and Love Hina were comedy romances to the extreme, while Inuyasha had funny moments, it was more a drama.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 8 of 9