• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime in America: The Best (and Most Notable) of 2011

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Key

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:34 pm Reply with quote
504NOSON2 wrote:
Well, I don't personally own one, but a female companion of mine does. One that will now be renting Garden Of Sinners for me.

Thanks, Mad_Scientist.

If you do this, be prepared to commit to watching the whole thing. The quality effect that Zac, Carl, and I (and others) have all commented on typically requires watching all eight or so hours to fully appreciate.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Veers

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:25 pm Reply with quote
Not all at once, though, necessarily. In fact, even if the heavy content alone somehow doesn't encourage you on its own to space them out a bit, I highly recommend you allow several days (well, at least a day) between watching each movie to properly digest each one in turn (without waiting so long that you start to forget things).

Also, yes, the commitment things is also true. While several of the films are enjoyable on their own (in particular, 3, 5, 6), remember that these are chapters/episodes despite their length and production values. Things won't be clear at first, but the payoff will come eventually, making the experience of the films all the better for it.
504NOSON2
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:45 pm Reply with quote
Key, Veers: Yeah, I'm fully aware of and prepared to deal with the formidable length of Garden Of Sinners. So, I think I'm going to go ahead and watch them all, consecutively. Veers, I'd normally probably watch something like this the way you had suggested, but the circumstances are a bit different. (I'll just make sure that I have snacks and take BRBs). I also heard that it's better to not watch them in chronological order.

Key, did you marathon it?
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:51 pm Reply with quote
Anyone who marathons nine hours all nine hours of Garden of Sinners is going to need psychiatric help by the end of it.

Definitely watch it in bite-size chunks if you want to keep your sanity.
Veers

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:07 pm Reply with quote
504NOSON2 wrote:
I also heard that it's better to not watch them in chronological order.
It's better to watch them in the order they were released the first time you see the series. After that, you can re-watch in any order to fit all the puzzle pieces together.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Page 8 of 8