• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New Haruhi Suzumiya Anime Episode Airs

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cnet128

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 9:32 am Reply with quote
Yeah, the novels aren't in chronological order. They're in a more chronological order than the first series was, but less chronological than this new series is presumably going to be.

The novels are divided into two types. There's the "main" novels (v1: Melancholy, v2: Sighs, v4: Disappearance, v7: Intrigue, v9: Dissociation), which are chronological. They each tell a complete, extended story, and at the time of release, they are always the newest events in the timeline. And then there are the short-story collections (v3: Boredom, v5: Rampage, v6: Trembling, v8: Indignation), which are not chronological. They each contain a number (it's varied from two to five) of short stories, which can take place pretty much anywhere around the previously-released material (before, after, in between...)

The fifth volume (Rampage) is probably the best example of a collection novel: released after Disappearance (the fourth novel, and third "main" story), it contained three stories. One of these (Endless Eight) takes place between the first two main novels. The second (The Day of Sagittarius) takes place after the first two, but before Disappearance. And the third (Snow Mountain Syndrome) takes place after Disappearance.

There are a couple of novels which mix things up a little just to make it more confusing. Volume seven (Intrigues), despite being a main story, includes a prologue that takes place before one of the previously-released short stories, making it not completely the newest events in the timeline. And volume eight (Indignation), despite being a collection novel, takes place entirely chronologically, in between the main stories of volumes seven and nine. But generally speaking, the main novels are chronological, whilst the collections are all over the place.

The tenth novel, incidentally, is slated to be another main novel, following directly on from the ninth, which ended on a cliffhanger. And the original anime broadcast order was nothing like the novel order – the one thing all the material had in common was that it took place chronologically before Disappearance, but not all material taking place before Disappearance was included, and what was included was shown in an order that bore no resemblance to novels or chronology.
ConanSan

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 9:39 am Reply with quote
Sakagami Tomoyo wrote:
Frankly, that's more plausible than delaying a cash cow for years just to piss off fans.
Actauly it pisses me off because it's done it to be bloody smug.

There's meta humour and there's being smug.

Oh, that's cute, you've blue balled us for what, three years now? to tie into the novels in a way that only the fans, who have been gagging for this show btw, would get? Oh that's so clever and Meta.

But do you konw what's more cleaver?

MAKING MONEY ON A CASH COW BY RELEASEING JUNK.

Christ.
nagato316

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 11:01 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
ninjapet wrote:

Wendee Lee did a fantastic job on God Knows and Lost My Music. She isn't a singer but a voice actor, and I have to say it was one of the better dub overs of a song I have heard

It was decent, but it was no Aya Hirano.

Wendee Lee's effort on the English God Knows is solid, but (I can't really put my finger on anything more specific) she doesn't quite bring the same energy to the song that Aya does.

penguintruth wrote:
I'm still convinced Kari Wahlgren probably would have made a better Haruhi.

We'll probably never know, since Kari was picked to play Tsuruya.

penguintruth wrote:

I only hope I don't get a scathing e-mail by Wendee Lee again for saying this.

Who am I kidding? I'd love to get more e-mail from Wendee Lee.

Shocked Again?! May I ask what you said previously that incurred the wrath of "Faye-Faye" the first time around?? (If it's too personal, then don't worry about it...)
ninjapet

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 11:09 am Reply with quote
maaya wrote:
Cynim wrote:
if it's the former, I take it this 2009 TV broadcast follows the novels in a more accurate way (ie : chronologically), and by adding the story arcs that were skipped in the 2006 TV series ?

That's pretty much it. And that's why everybody now expects the next new episodes to air in four weeks, after the Remote Island Syndrome eps.

I thought it was three weeks?
Sign is one ep (next week)
Island is two (the week after that, plus another week)

Meaning if there going by the novel (like we already know there doing) Vanishment should be coming in 3 weeks after the three eps from the 2006 run
ninjapet

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 11:11 am Reply with quote
[quote="nagato316"]
penguintruth wrote:
ninjapet wrote:

Wendee Lee did a fantastic job on God Knows and Lost My Music. She isn't a singer but a voice actor, and I have to say it was one of the better dub overs of a song I have heard

It was decent, but it was no Aya Hirano.

Wendee Lee's effort on the English God Knows is solid, but (I can't really put my finger on anything more specific) she doesn't quite bring the same energy to the song that Aya does.

[quote]

It was still a great dub, I thought it was the fact that it wasn't as lively becasue he would be hard to keep in that voice the whole time while signing. Wendee Lee doesn't have that high of a voice normaly in less she's useing her Haruhi / extras voice
cnet128

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 4:02 pm Reply with quote
ninjapet wrote:

Meaning if there going by the novel (like we already know there doing) Vanishment should be coming in 3 weeks after the three eps from the 2006 run

One week until Mysterique Sign.
Two weeks until Island Syndrome I.
Three weeks until Island Syndrome II.
Four weeks until Endless Eight.

That's four weeks' wait for the next new material.
Perfect Chaos

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 4:11 pm Reply with quote
ninjapet wrote:

It would be four weeks from now (I guess it's not an uncommon mistake to have since it is of counting time intervals). In one week, it would be Mystérique Sign; in two, it would be Remote Island Syndrome part 1; in three, it would be RIS2; then in the fourth week, Endless Eight (most likely).

And cnet128, I couldn't have explained it better, myself.

But to add something kind of related to that, the mixed up order of the first season shared a similar style with the way the novels are released. Just imagine the first season ~ the whole novel series, each of the 6 "Melancholy" episodes ~ each of the main novels, and each short story in the anime ~ each short story in the novel. I'm not going to explain it any further, and let people realize for themselves what I mean about the similarity in release style.

Last edited by Perfect Chaos on Fri May 22, 2009 6:43 pm; edited 2 times in total
ninjapet

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 4:26 pm Reply with quote
Perfect Chaos wrote:
ninjapet wrote:

It would be four weeks from now (I guess it's not an uncommon mistake to have since it is of counting time intervals). In one week, it would be Mystérique Sign; in two, it would be Remote Island Syndrome part 1; in three, it would be RIS2; then in the fourth week, Endless Eight (most likely).

And cnet128, I couldn't have explained it better, myself.

But to some something kind of related to that, the mixed up order of the first season shared a similar style with the way the novels are released. Just imagine the first season ~ the whole novel series, each of the 6 "Melancholy" episodes ~ each of the main novels, and each short story in the anime ~ each short story in the novel. I'm not going to explain it any further, and let people realize for themselves what I mean about the similarity in release style.

Ok
I thought I counted wrong with it Anime hyper

So a month till new eps? I can deal with that, my summer break just started so, I have three months of time to kill
cnet128

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 4:40 pm Reply with quote
Perfect Chaos wrote:
But to some something kind of related to that, the mixed up order of the first season shared a similar style with the way the novels are released. Just imagine the first season ~ the whole novel series, each of the 6 "Melancholy" episodes ~ each of the main novels, and each short story in the anime ~ each short story in the novel. I'm not going to explain it any further, and let people realize for themselves what I mean about the similarity in release style.

I can see what you mean there... If you consider the Melancholy episodes as similar to the "main novels", forming the chronological "backbone" of the series, and then the short stories being inserted randomly around them, it is kind of similar to what the novels do.

But it's still a very different strategy, because there's a big difference between having whole main arcs surrounded by short stories, and having pieces of an arc surrounded by short stories. The pieces don't really stand alone, and in fact, the broadcast order actually caused a number of "spoiler moments".

In the novel, after Yuki reveals her identity to Kyon, we have nothing but her word for it, and so even if as a reader we can probably figure out that she's telling the truth, we're accompanying Kyon through his initial scepticism, as it is broken down by Mikuru and Itsuki's susbsequent confessions, and finally his encounter with Ryouko thrusts him firmly into the world of the supernatural in shocking fashion. In the novels, that encounter is the first display of actual supernatural powers that we've seen, and all the more shocking for it; in the broadcast, on the other hand, Yuki's confession is followed directly by the baseball match, and that forms the first supernatural display we see; this gives us no opportunity to empathise with Kyon's doubting, and takes the edge off Ryouko's attack.

Likewise, the first demonstration we see of Itsuki's powers in the novels (beforehand, all he's ever given are some cryptic comments about how he can't demonstrate them that easily) is when he takes Kyon inside the Closed Space and explains the Agency's position in full. The anime takes the edge off this by showing it right at the end of the series, when not only have we seen a lot more of Itsuki's nature, we've seen him demonstrate his abilities in Mysterique Sign. It's just... not quite the same.

And that's why I generally prefer the chronological presentation of the series (or at least the novels' presentation, which is tailored better to the narrative) to the mishmash broadcast order that the first anime season used. (And also a large part of the reason why I'm recommending to a friend who's thinking of picking up Haruhi that he follow the series chronologically, in line with the new broadcast.)
Sakagami Tomoyo

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 5:53 pm Reply with quote
Conan-san wrote:

Oh, that's cute, you've blue balled us for what, three years now? to tie into the novels in a way that only the fans, who have been gagging for this show btw, would get? Oh that's so clever and Meta.

Christ.

I still don't believe that they deliberately delayed it that long to be anything. There has to be something else going on here that was holding things up.

As I've said previously, some fans seem to be determined to interpret everything as an insult.
Perfect Chaos

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 7:04 pm Reply with quote
cnet128 wrote:
But it's still a very different strategy, because there's a big difference between having whole main arcs surrounded by short stories, and having pieces of an arc surrounded by short stories. The pieces don't really stand alone, and in fact, the broadcast order actually caused a number of "spoiler moments".

In the novel, after Yuki reveals her identity to Kyon, we have nothing but her word for it, and so even if as a reader we can probably figure out that she's telling the truth, we're accompanying Kyon through his initial scepticism, as it is broken down by Mikuru and Itsuki's susbsequent confessions, and finally his encounter with Ryouko thrusts him firmly into the world of the supernatural in shocking fashion. In the novels, that encounter is the first display of actual supernatural powers that we've seen, and all the more shocking for it; in the broadcast, on the other hand, Yuki's confession is followed directly by the baseball match, and that forms the first supernatural display we see; this gives us no opportunity to empathise with Kyon's doubting, and takes the edge off Ryouko's attack.

Likewise, the first demonstration we see of Itsuki's powers in the novels (beforehand, all he's ever given are some cryptic comments about how he can't demonstrate them that easily) is when he takes Kyon inside the Closed Space and explains the Agency's position in full. The anime takes the edge off this by showing it right at the end of the series, when not only have we seen a lot more of Itsuki's nature, we've seen him demonstrate his abilities in Mysterique Sign. It's just... not quite the same.

And that's why I generally prefer the chronological presentation of the series (or at least the novels' presentation, which is tailored better to the narrative) to the mishmash broadcast order that the first anime season used. (And also a large part of the reason why I'm recommending to a friend who's thinking of picking up Haruhi that he follow the series chronologically, in line with the new broadcast.)

Yeah, I see what you mean by it being kind of spoil-ery. I still like it, since it makes people go "WTF?" Anime hyper It's avant-garde, or as Nagato would put it, "unique."
Like, the main reason I hated watching the first season in chronological order is because the series ends with Someday in the Rain (which has a lot of "filler" moments) instead of the climatic Melancholy VI. Spoilers aren't a big deal if you pretty much already know every single detail/references/foreshadowing of events not in the 1st season/etc., I guess. LOL
But yeah, now that season 2 can be mixed into the chronological telling of the story, I would actually recommend it seen that way if I were to recommend the series to anyone new after season 2 finishes (or even now if they are willing to see it as it airs). (Let's just hope that the 28th episode isn't full of "filler" moments as well... Anime hyper)

As for the mispronunciation of "Suzumiya" in the English dub, I'm not sure what you're talking about (whomever it was that said that it was mispronounced). Which reminds me of something: in the English Kanon trailer, the narrator said, "From the people who brought you The Melancholy of Hurahi Suzumiya," or something along those lines. It made me cringe when I heard it...
ninjapet

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 10:24 pm Reply with quote
I didn't know that DB picked up the new season O_o

If they sub more eps, then this shall be good
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 2:10 am Reply with quote
Report wrote:
Update 4: Both Bandai Entertainment and Kadokawa Pictures USA have declined to comment on the future status of Haruhi Suzumiya in North America.
Way to go to fight fansubs guys. These companies never learn. Rolling Eyes
Xanas

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 11:55 am Reply with quote
Well I won't be watching the fansub, because I just don't do that for shows I watched the dub of originally.

So I'll be waiting on this one as I did for FMP and I'm waiting on Shana II, etc.
ConanSan

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 2:39 am Reply with quote
Sakagami Tomoyo wrote:
Conan-san wrote:

Christ.

I still don't believe that they deliberately delayed it that long to be anything. There has to be something else going on here that was holding things up.

As I've said previously, some fans seem to be determined to interpret everything as an insult.
Insult and poor marekting, thank you.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 9 of 11