• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Thunderbolt Fantasy

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 8:16 pm Reply with quote
You're right that it does seem to be from that scene, although the actual shot they picked never precisely appeared before. Still, it's an extremely weird choice since Assassin is the topic of discussion and he's not even in the foreground. Not sure why they even bothered to put it in at all.

Speaking of Assassin, it looks like Hyde has been watching Thunderbolt Fantasy. Smile

My live action cast is now one quarter complete! Laughing
Johan Eriksson 9003

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 4:46 pm Reply with quote
Huh, I actually suspected what would happen to Lancer guy a few weeks ago. It fits well with his declaration that he would "become the real deal".
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 5:36 pm Reply with quote
Episode 11

C'mon now, give Hero a break on his acting. He was wearing the Bag o' Huffing (which Vape Thief had been carting around in his robes) on his head the whole time. He was probably high as a kite. Metaphorically speaking that is.

But heck, even I could figure out that cart wasn't loaded with gold, unless the minions are all super-buff and stuff.

So I guess most of my previous wild mass guessings were put to rest with this episode. You know what that means. Time for more! Hero is the descendant (not sure how long ago the demon whooping took place) of the guy who took down the ebilest demon of them all. And his "stick" is the real sword of slaying ebil. They segmented the fancy one and protected it so no one would go looking for the real one. Going by the sound effects, the blade is indeed metal, though he appears to have been using it like a sakabato, slashing with the dull edge (the sharp side is probably just too powerful to use).
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 5:43 pm Reply with quote
if he was more clever he would have insisted to count the god pieces, one by one.
Doodleboy

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 7:55 pm Reply with quote
I'm surprised Juan Can Yun survived this episode considering Urobuchi's track record with Lancers.

Also the choice of saving the character poems for climatic moments paid off here.

Also there's some more making of bonus content around.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06-w4HJgpik
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1eCGTHUAwPo
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 9:27 pm Reply with quote
Oh hey, Lancer got to keep his morals (and life)!

Also I was bummed that Saber bolted instead of fighting Gilgamesh, but the climactic will come eventually. That said, at least we got to see a bit more of his stat sheet!

Acting: E-
Merida

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 1:33 am Reply with quote
Another fine episode, i agree, but i am also shocked that nobody's brought up the real pressing question, yet: whatever happened to super-villains pretty green eyes?! They were blue for at least half the ep. and only went kinda greenish at the end again. Was that just bad lightning? Does our villain have an even more evil twin? Or was that his puppet's body double?!
terryh

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 3:53 am Reply with quote
think it was the lightning that made his eyes look bluish. his eyelashes thoooo game strong.

also, in the next episode preview, there was a scene (just before they showed the sword) where 3 people walked past behind a curtain screen. does anyone know who the first guy was? i can see the necro was the 2nd and archer the 3rd guy but i cldnt figure out who was the first person.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 7:17 am Reply with quote
Doodleboy wrote:
Also the choice of saving the character poems for climatic moments paid off here.

I don't think they were saving it, per se. I think you only GET a poem when you're either a hero or a villian. Lancer just realized he wanted to be a hero, so he got a poem. It shoed him growing up.
casualfan

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 1:41 pm Reply with quote
Slashing with dull edge is supposed to be for sparing the opponent by defeating without killing them. Considering that Saber had been piercing and decapitating opponents left and right, I doubt that to be the case, My guess is that the blade had some kind of double-edged power in that it drained the user's strength or life force so that's why Saber had to work extra hard to wield it.

Just because Lancer only lost an eye doesn't mean he won't lose his life eventually. With his pure self-sacrificing attitude, I feel like he will be the show's sacrificial tool to emotionally power-up the hero in the final battle. Laughing
CrowLia

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 2:20 pm Reply with quote
^If Lancer didn't meet his maker this time around, I doubt he will in the future. In fact, my theory is that Archer will die and Lancer will become the hero his master pretended to be, maybe even inherit the title of One-Eyed-Whatever
jesusalcala11

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 5:04 pm Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
^If Lancer didn't meet his maker this time around, I doubt he will in the future. In fact, my theory is that Archer will die and Lancer will become the hero his master pretended to be, maybe even inherit the title of One-Eyed-Whatever

I have the same guess as well, that Lancer will become a true hero and take the title of One-Eyed Impaler or Wanderer. Lancer spoiler[lost his left eye like his master. Unless Lancer dies, which I was surprised that he hadn't.]
Folkstad Ohm

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 9:41 am Reply with quote
"So in order to break Miè Tiān Hái, Lǐn Xuě Yā needs to steal his self-confidence, not the actual blade. There are a couple of ways that I can see him going about this. The first is simply beating him in a swordfight. The second is rendering him somehow unable to wield swords, like cutting off his arms."

There's a third way: Have Miè Tiān Hái be beaten by a guy who doesn't even have a real sword, namely Shāng Bù Huàn. That seems to me a better way to close the loop that began with the "mental sword fight" between Shāng Bù Huàn and Shā Wú Shēng and continued with the real sword fight between Shā Wú Shēng and Miè Tiān Hái. It's not 100% clear that Lǐn Xuě Yā knows about Shāng Bù Huàn's special skill, but as I recall he's already seen Shāng Bù Huàn's pathetic excuse for a sword, so he may have figured that out already.
v1cious

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 11:11 am Reply with quote
Dat stick tho Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Kosaka

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 12:24 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Miè Tiān Hái is okay with this because the apocalypse seems like a great opportunity to use all of his cool swords.

He also wanted to eventually reseal the demon, and be lauded for doing so.

Quote:
He [Lǐn Xuě Yā] was initially after the sword to mess with the Hù Yìn Shī,

I don't remember hearing this. Lǐn Xuě Yā also said that "it's far too simple to trick the noble and good-natured, so that's no fun at all."
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 9 of 11