• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation, Crunchyroll End Content-Sharing Partnership

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JamesCameory

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 5:33 pm Reply with quote
Ignore professorwho. His views on "subs vs dubs" are toxic. Because he doesn't like dubs means that no one should.
yuna49

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 6:08 pm Reply with quote
Chrono1000 wrote:
something will have to take the place of $300 per cour Japanese physical disc sales

Yes. It's called the People's Republic of China.
lycopene

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 7:10 pm Reply with quote
JamesCameory wrote:
Ignore professorwho. His views on "subs vs dubs" are toxic. Because he doesn't like dubs means that no one should.

Perhaps, but most of what Kadmos says is complete nonsense so his reaction to said nonsense is understandable
professorwho

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:31 pm Reply with quote
JamesCameory wrote:

You’re just as nonsensical. I never said that “no one should”. I never said that. You’re twisting my words. Second, I only said that because the person I was responding to interpreted a comment I made about dubs as being that I don’t like how anime is produced in Japanese- literally being dubbed over the finished animation.

See, I originally posted that I was glad FUNi is out of the CR deal because they were doing a bad job. Someone said they were disagreeing because they liked their dubs. I responded that their home releases were the issue- and that I though the dubs too were sliding in quality. It never was all about dubs- somebody just wanted my point clarified. Then, anither guy took what I said about dubs in that response literally, and then you are spreading this misinformation.

Should you ignore me because I disagree on something? It’s up to you- but to disregard all the issues FUNimation have had- something you probably didn’t see was my original point because you’re too busy defending dubs- is an issue. I have no problems with people liking dubs. You twisted my words, and you felt the need to make an account just for that post. What a waste of your time. Had you not been so closed minded, this misunderstanding could’ve been worked out through a meaningful conversation. It was never about me not liking dubs- if you read back through this forum, several pages back, you’d realise that- but you didn’t. And I have to explain this, wasting my time.

Please, do your research next time before you attack somebody. In fact, please don’t attack others to begin with.
Galap

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:46 am Reply with quote
Time to back off from each other, guys.
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:30 am Reply with quote
Adv193 wrote:

Also on the topic of shows being removed from Crunchyroll I wonder how this affect the current steams of One Piece and Fairy Tail.

One Piece will not be affected, as CR began simulcasting it almost 3 years prior to the partnership (and acquired rights to the back catalog at that time):
https://www.crunchyroll.com/forumtopic-826213/one-piece-is-now-here

It has already been stated that simulcasts that premiered during the time the partnership was active will not be affected. The current simulcast of Fairy Tail of course falls under this. The previous run (2014) began before the partnership, and therefore would not be affected. What could be affected is the earlier catalog (episodes 175 & prior), as those rights reside with Funimation alone.
TurboDuel

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 6:42 pm Reply with quote
This really stinks. I was hoping FuniRoll would strike up some kind of deal to start dubbing and releasing the rest of the GinTama series. Guess that ain't gonna happen.
NJ_

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:31 pm Reply with quote
TheAncientOne wrote:
One Piece will not be affected, as CR began simulcasting it almost 3 years prior to the partnership (and acquired rights to the back catalog at that time):
https://www.crunchyroll.com/forumtopic-826213/one-piece-is-now-here

Not to mention Crunchyroll has the upscaled/cropped Special Edition broadcast version of episodes 1-206 included with the originals. This is something FUNi doesn't have and hopefully never will.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 12:17 pm Reply with quote
I'm surprised to hear people prefer Sentai over Funimation; I strongly feel the opposite because I love Funi's dubs and have YET to find a Sentai dub I can even listen to.

Sentai ALSO does this incredibly annoying thing where they make it very hard to access the subbed track on a bluray disc like they are trying to FORCE their crappy dubbed track down your throat. Twisted Evil
Violynne

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 1:59 pm Reply with quote
Oh, shit.

It's 1999 all over again.

This time, it's streaming channels instead of DVD distributors.

Will the anime industry ever learn?
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:00 pm Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:

Sentai ALSO does this incredibly annoying thing where they make it very hard to access the subbed track on a bluray disc like they are trying to FORCE their crappy dubbed track down your throat. Twisted Evil

How so? All you do is switch the audio track to Japanese while playing, or select Japanese in the main menu. It works the same as every other Bluray I have. It even has one less step than some Blurays from other publishers, as you don’t need to access a second submenu. I really don’t see how they could make it any easier.
louis6578

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 8:54 am Reply with quote
dragonrider_cody wrote:
Chiibi wrote:

How so? All you do is switch the audio track to Japanese while playing, or select Japanese in the main menu. It works the same as every other Bluray I have. It even has one less step than some Blurays from other publishers, as you don’t need to access a second submenu. I really don’t see how they could make it any easier.

Agreed. I've never had an issue swapping audio tracks and subtitles on my Sentai Blu-rays, though I have to say that the QUALITY of subtitles is often inferior to whatever fansubs or Crunchyroll subs I previously viewed a show with.
Puniyo

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 4:28 am Reply with quote
Honestly making Funimation a 'global dub and sub brand' is a mistake and isn't going to work out if you ask me. The only reason anyone would use Funi on its own is for dubs, so they should just drop subtitled content altogether (leave it for other services) and completely focus on fast, quality dubs. But that'd benefit the customer too much, as opposed to them snapping us as any licenses as they can before anyone else... Sigh.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Page 9 of 9