• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: The Eminence in Shadow

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MFrontier

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2023 5:22 pm Reply with quote
The author is getting very "creative" with some of the names in this arc.

So Cid can just dislocate his jaw a little and suddenly he's Hikaru Midorikawa. He even keeps the Mundane Mann head on-top of his bed.

Will Annerose join the Cid/Shadow Harem?

Rose is too much of a sweetheart to stab a guy with no provocation, I'm guessing that curse in her chest is making her lash out.
Melicans wrote:
Richard Eisenbeis wrote:
Zerreth wrote:
I feel like i'm missing something. What were the towel slaps in reference to?

Back in episode 11, when Cid gets out of the bath in front of Alexia, he slaps himself in the crotch with a wet towel. She then does the same when she gets out. In this episode, after Alexia leaves the sauna, we hear the same sound effect twice!

I'm probably being obtuse, but does the towel slapping actually mean anything?

I think it's like a traditional Japanese bathing right?
Aerdra

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2023 8:35 pm Reply with quote
The dark horse in a fighting tournament seems like one of the most "eminence in shadow"-like roles to play, so I'm looking forward to this arc. That said, anime fighting tournaments almost never finish as planned - even the previous one in this same show was interrupted - so I don't know just how long Cid will be able to relish the role.

Episode Review wrote:
The tournament itself is taking place in the Kingdom of Oriana.

Is this info from the source material? I got the impression that the tournament is taking place near Cid's school, considering that Cid's very broke friend Hyoro Gari (Skel Etal) is there.

Episode Review wrote:
Nu, Kai, and Omega

I think this character's name is Chi, since the other Shadow Garden members have Greek letters as names. Also, I don't think Chi and Omega were formally introduced in the anime; I only know their names from the ED credits.

MFrontier wrote:
The author is getting very "creative" with some of the names in this arc.

It's been like that since the beginning. All the named mob characters get punny names, including Cid's friends. HIDIVE doing a decent job translating the puns.
Emerje

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2023 10:48 am Reply with quote
I'm guessing Cid simply doesn't care about the small stage preliminary matches and is just putting in the minimum effort move on. I'm sure he'll put on a bigger show on the main stage.

I loved the joke about got getting the goldy guy's name right. It wasn't so much the names, but how rapid fire they were coming out.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Richard Eisenbeis
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2023 7:12 pm Reply with quote
Aerdra wrote:

Episode Review wrote:
Nu, Kai, and Omega

I think this character's name is Chi, since the other Shadow Garden members have Greek letters as names. Also, I don't think Chi and Omega were formally introduced in the anime; I only know their names from the ED credits.

Today I learned that the Greek letter Χχ is written in English as "Chi"--despite the fact that its pronounced "Kai." (God I hate English sometimes.)

Anyway, the closest thing to them being introduced properly in the anime in the episode preview for episode 13. But honestly, I'd be surprised if they ever get named in an episode proper. They're just easter eggs for the most diehard of fans--I mean, they are only mentioned a single time in the books that I can remember despite being named characters. This is why I'm so fixated on them. Every single thing they do in the anime is new information and character development for them. I mean, Just like Eta and Zeta, they never even had official character designs before the anime. Now they even have entries on the official website!
Key

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2023 10:26 pm Reply with quote
Wow, the naming conventions in this series. Anyone else catch that one of the contestants in the Bushin Festival has a name that (at least in the subtitles) is Imatry Nottaloos? (If you're not seeing the joke, sound it out in syllables.)

And of course Cid's friends are Po Tato and Skel Eton. Riiiiight. . .
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Aerdra

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2023 7:55 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Wow, the naming conventions in this series. Anyone else catch that one of the contestants in the Bushin Festival has a name that (at least in the subtitles) is Imatry Nottaloos? (If you're not seeing the joke, sound it out in syllables.)

And of course Cid's friends are Po Tato and Skel Eton. Riiiiight. . .

The Goddess's Trial (episode 11) featured a line of these. The first challenger was named Toppe Batterius, swinging his sword like a baseball bat and wearing armor that looked like catcher's gear. The next guy was named Neks Tinline (バンニ・デーテ), followed by Stihl-Aint Hapnin (マター・ムーリ).

Another show this season, Iceblade Sorcerer (episode 1), had a bunch of pun names for mob students, but they weren't actually said out loud (or written in subtitles) in the show, so one'd only get the joke if one read the credits.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2023 9:27 pm Reply with quote
Poor Rose...her father is seemingly brainwashed, her fiance is Perv Asshat (Show Hayami!) and probably a bad guy, she's forced into becoming a wanted fugitive, and her boyfriend fails to realize he's actually her boyfriend and was just mooching off of her the whole time.

I'm curious what Alpha's aunt's involvement in the story will be. Will we see the two reunite?

All that talk and Quinton goes down off-screen.

I'm worried Annerose; neck is going to stay that way if she keeps doing that. She's playing into Mundane Mann's plans either way.

I hope Imatry Nottaloo wins the whole thing.
Zerreth

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2023 4:25 pm Reply with quote
I particularly enjoyed this week's episode. The comedic disparity between what's on the surface vs underneath really clicked.

Quote:
Beta being a good 10 seconds too late in giving a scared response to Alexia's threat to kill her is fantastic.

The animators choosing to continue to not emote her face was the extra bit that pushed this.

I also couldn't help but laugh every time Cid spoke between his exchange with Rose knowing full well how contrived this was and how much he was really hamming up the dialogue. There was a very good balance of content this week.
jr240483

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2023 7:56 pm Reply with quote
the real question i want to know is will the shadow garden members actually end up getting sent to cid's old world? or was it all for show just for the sake of the second opening?

if that really happen, i would not be surprise if cid becomes even more insane than he already is because he end up getting sent back to the world he hated with a passion.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2023 8:27 pm Reply with quote
So, my current theory is that this is not actually an isekai series. I think someone said that Cid deliberately threw himself in front of Truck-kun in order to be isekai'ed, but I might've made that up. At any rate, I think he ran out in front of Truck-kun blinded by the blood in his eyes and his manic frustration at not having magic, and was accidentally killed. All of what we're seeing now is in his head, the last hallucinations of a dying brain, just as dreams that seem to last hours, in reality only last a few minutes. In this case, it's the life he desperately wanted flashing before his eyes, rather than the one he lived.

This is why everything works for him. I think this episode just called it out with the "Moonlight Sonata." (lol at the piano hijinks and the b/w feather storm) Cid reckons that means there's another person here from his world, but then it turns out to have a "logical" explanation that leaves him still the only traveler. As if his subconscious couldn't bear the idea of a potential rival that his conscious mind arrived at, so it fixed the problem.

Now, I wouldn't be shocked if, in such a scenario as I've posed, a supernatural element hadn't taken the opportunity to insert itself into his dying delirium. Aurora might be such an entity. But she need not be. Then again, I will be shocked if any part of my theory turns out to be correct at all. Laughing
Covnam

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2023 9:47 pm Reply with quote
Cid must have been on cloud nine with that setup being so perfectly fit to his desired persona lol
Aerdra

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2023 9:50 pm Reply with quote
This is it. Not the hero, not the last boss, but the one who operates from the shadows. This is the "eminence in shadow" moment that Cid has been setting up his whole life. Rose gets the role of hero, while Cid gets to display his greatness. All the effort, the feathers, the piano, the Moonlight Sonata, culminating in the perfect scene.

It's funny how this show makes Moonlight Sonata seem so chuuni, even though it was composed centuries ago.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2023 10:01 pm Reply with quote
I don't know what's more amazing, Cid's ability to barely grasp the plot yet somehow find a way to make a huge impact on it while just acting out his fantasies or the Shadow Garden girls' ability to become famous by plagiarizing notable works told to them second hand by Cid.

Poor Rose though...father is brainwashed, her entire kingdom might be corrupt, she's framed as an out of control and violent criminal, and she's stuck having to deal with Perv Asshat. Not to mention she vastly misunderstands her relationship with Cid. I'm really curious to see what's next for her because I don't think she's going into this expecting to get out unscathed. Could she join Shadow Garden?

I kind of wanted to see more of the Alexia/Natsume/Rose trio...but I'm glad we're getting more Claire!
#aoikurami

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 9:37 am Reply with quote
jr240483 wrote:
the real question i want to know is will the shadow garden members actually end up getting sent to cid's old world? or was it all for show just for the sake of the second opening?

if that really happen, i would not be surprise if cid becomes even more insane than he already is because he end up getting sent back to the world he hated with a passion.

spoiler[so far, only cid and beta have been transported back to the modern world and will find themselves in a post apocalyptic japan, 3 years after cid's past self's death. then they will encounter cid's former classmate akane. by the end of the vol, beta kidnaps akane back to their current world just because she can't fit all the modern stuff to her bag lul.]
HuuskerDu

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2023 2:16 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
So, my current theory is that this is not actually an isekai series... All of what we're seeing now is in his head, the last hallucinations of a dying brain, just as dreams that seem to last hours, in reality only last a few minutes. In this case, it's the life he desperately wanted flashing before his eyes, rather than the one he lived.

This is why everything works for him.

The dream theory nicely explains a lot of the crazy coincidences, where events just all magically all go Cid's way (the cult is real, he can throw a knife at a map and hit Claire's exact hostage location, etc). It also explains some of the weird inconsistencies in his interpretation of events, where sometimes he thinks he is fighting 'bandits' (the cult is fake), while other times he acts as if the cult is real (the fight with Oliver). Cid is basically operating on dream logic.

The counterargument against this theory is that, if this is all just a dream, then we should only be seeing things from Cid's POV. Instead, we see a lot of events that Cid is totally unaware of (how Shadow Garden operates, Rose's predicament with her kingdom, etc).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 9 of 11