• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Saki: Episode Side A (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:39 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:
Regarding the remaining 4 matches not mattering, that's not completely true, as two teams advance from this match, so the other three schools are still battling for second.

As I previously stated, I do not believe that the battle for second place is going to matter. That is because whoever gets through - and at this rate I am slightly leaning towards Achiga - they will struggle in the finals for Kiyosumi and Shiratodai.

why is not matter? You probably forget about the goal of Achiga. They never really believe they can win the championship.

As for complain about too many characters. First you need to know what kind of anime is this. This is Team mahjong tournament anime, not 1v1 boxing.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 12:12 pm Reply with quote
Can anyone think of an anime that hosts more different high school settings than Saki? When you think of it this is quite ambitious with not only so many different characters to develop but sets for them as well.

If you are in to school girl uniforms, this is the anime for you.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 6:04 pm Reply with quote
Episode 12.

I just got further confirmation, as if I needed it, that stress related time dilation flashback effects are not my favorite feature of anime.

That said, since a corner needed to be turned they managed to turn it as gracefully as can be expected given what went on the last three episodes.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 8:30 pm Reply with quote
At least now spoiler[that match is over, and Nodoka knows that they are in the tournament.]

Lets see how it goes now.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 7:41 am Reply with quote
Goodbye hated Teru arc. May you rot in hell. Anyway, not sure what will be accomplished in the next three eppies, but we'll see. And holy anti-climatic encounters Buttman.

AND HERE WE HAVE spoiler[THE SUPAH-TEAR-JERKING REUNION OF OLD FRIENDS THREE YEARS IN THE MAKING!!!:

Big Tits: Oh hai.
Others: Hai yourself.
*pause*
Others: Welp, see ya in the finals.
Big Tits: Mebbers.
*everyone turns around and walks away]

EMOTIONAL INTENSITY AT ITS FINEST!!!
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 7:48 am Reply with quote
Laughing
Yeah that is about how it went. Maybe we should wait until the doujin version?
誤称

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 7:51 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Goodbye hated Teru arc. May you rot in hell. Anyway, not sure what will be accomplished in the next three eppies, but we'll see. And holy anti-climatic encounters Buttman.

AND HERE WE HAVE spoiler[THE SUPAH-TEAR-JERKING REUNION OF OLD FRIENDS THREE YEARS IN THE MAKING!!!:

Big Tits: Oh hai.
Others: Hai yourself.
*pause*
Others: Welp, see ya in the finals.
Big Tits: Mebbers.
*everyone turns around and walks away]

I found it to be the spoiler[most brilliant troll since Endless Eight.]

I'm gonna miss Toki and the girl with the antler-like hair. MARVELOUS.

And have I mentioned how much I love the announcers? Both series have had great announcers. I have to get back to rewatching season one.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:57 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:

OK, that made me LOL. Not easy to do on early Monday morning let me tell you.

誤称 wrote:
have I mentioned how much I love the announcers?

I had the same thought. Actually they are the highlight of this episode. Hard not to like the gal that goes over the top as if she is working a pro wrestling match.

It is a good illustration of how important sports writers are. Way back last century, baseball had a small but loyal following. It was strictly a small-time activity. By and large most of the population viewed it as too obscure and complicated to catch much interest. At some point some of the fans became sports writers, and they made these smelly alcoholic amoral lowlifes that were playing the game seem interesting. About the same time Father Boutlier first showed Babe Ruth a baseball the news magnates started realizing there was money to be made. The rest is history.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 7:03 pm Reply with quote
Spotlesseden wrote:
As for complain about too many characters. First you need to know what kind of anime is this. This is Team mahjong tournament anime, not 1v1 boxing.

The issue is that there are too many to develop and care about to be adequately successful. The series relies too heavily on the Shonen Jump cliche of sticking a flashback in the middle of a climactic battle in an effort to get us to care about a character whose name we're not going to remember once the fight is over. When a show has so many characters that I can't even remember the names of the protagonists, that's some kind of problem, regardless of whether the size of a cast is called for in the context of the series.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 12:48 pm Reply with quote
Hey everybody -- Saki's back.

Episode 13.

It picks up right where they left off and dang if this isn't my favorite anime where I can't comprehend what is going on. What I really like however are the metaphors -- head shots, assassinations, reaping. These girls deal out more violence than any mecha. The girls sometime stagger out of their matches as if they had lost too much blood.

That, and I really need to see what Shizu is wearing under that jacket.

Last edited by HaruhiToy on Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:01 am; edited 1 time in total
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 4:47 pm Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:
Hey everybody -- Saki's back.

Episode 13.

It picks up right where they left off and dang if this isn't my favorite anime where I can't comprehend what is going on. What I really like however are the metaphors -- head shots, assassinations, reaping. These girls deal out more violence than any mecha. The girls sometime stagger out of their matches as if they had lost too much blood.

That, and I really need to see what Saki is wearing under that jacket.

yeah, more magical girl mahjong. can't wait to watch it later when i have time. you need to learn mahjong if you want to know what's going on. It's very easy to follow once you learn the game.

saki and Kuroko's basket are same type of anime just different sports. Both are popular.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 6:30 pm Reply with quote
Episode 13

A wonderful christmas present! Well by that something you have been waiting for, and then you remember you barely understand it.

But it was all cool as we have had some of those wonderful imagine battles that made this series exciting. Of note we had thespoiler[ archer sharpshooter who would strike a player], I liked that we were able to find out about a spoiler[tell and cold girl (I forgot names) finally got to be cool.]

For some reason Saki''s sister's school did not look as intimidating as I remembered, perhaps that is because I compared it to the sister in Girls und Panzer.
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 8:09 pm Reply with quote
whenever i watch this show, i keep thinking that maybe i'll learn something about mahjong. However, 38 episodes later, i still have no idea what the hell is going on. too many distractions
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 8:27 pm Reply with quote
getchman wrote:
whenever i watch this show, i keep thinking that maybe i'll learn something about mahjong. However, 38 episodes later, i still have no idea what the hell is going on. too many distractions

just do some research online. 9 or 10 years old can learn how to play mahjong in couple of days. an adult shouldn't have any problem learning it in an hour or so. I learned by just watch people play.

http://saki.wikia.com/wiki/Mahjong_yaku
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 8:51 pm Reply with quote
i would, but i dont really care that much
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 10 of 12