• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Crunchyroll to Dub, Release Anime on BD/DVD

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Buzz201

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 3:50 pm Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:
SageModeKakarot wrote:
the big question for me is

Will they be releasing in the UK Question

Of course they will be releasing over here!

They will be a releasing a statement that contains the words 'unfortunately' and 'rights' at least once.

(To rationalise, it is better to keep one's hopes suppressed in these turbulent times—pre-empting disappointment is a challenging ordeal by itself.)

To be fair, Zin5ki, at least one of the titles has shown up on AL's roster. So I would assume that at least some of them will make it over. Just probably not all of them.

Unfortunately, I can't see Gintama being popular enough to justify the BBFC fees it would incur. So I doubt that will make it over but everything else should be fine.
SEGAtheGENESIS234

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 3:53 pm Reply with quote
Wait, if CR dubs Gintama, how are they gonna get past the references and all that?
JLightstar

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 4:05 pm Reply with quote
I hope they will dub Eyeshield 21 and Reborn!
BlueRex666

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 5:02 pm Reply with quote
SEGAtheGENESIS234 wrote:
@BlueRex666
Sorry man, but people crave competition.

I'm aware (even if I don't like like) Rolling Eyes

But if I'm being honestly I don't like the idea of a world where Funimation, Viz, Aniplex USA, Discotek, Sentai or Crunchyroll not exist. Each company has their own thing to offer. Crying or Very sad
ninjamitsuki

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 5:44 pm Reply with quote
So, Gintama is finally getting a proper dub.

Unfortunately, my dream of Crispin Freeman playing Gintoki is likely still going to be just a dream.

Honestly, I'm just glad that they'll treat it better than Sentai did and I'll be able to own more than just the first 50 episodes physically.
Sam Murai

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 6:26 pm Reply with quote
G S Palmer wrote:
chito895 wrote:
Now it's kinda of puzzling they didn't announce a physical release for Kiznaiver. They've been hyping that up since they got streaming rights, last year. They even got manga and merchandising rights.

And even a Re:Zero's (a very popular show as of now) release would've been more sensical than Big Order.

I know, I was wondering about Kiznaiver too.

KIZNAIVER is apparently…Aniplex USA's? That's a slight buzzkill given how CR was treating it like their firstborn child…

As for BIG ORDER, best to keep in mind that that is a Kadokawa title and CR has that major deal with them (which now makes even clearer sense…). This one-year "testing period" is a pivotal one for CR and if that means having to sell a shaky title like BO, then you gotta do what you gotta do (then again, they may have had the rights and plans in place before its debut and kept the announcement for now). At least they can peddle it on the novelty of being a premiere CR release, as well as its craziness and Future Diary affiliation (no different than, I suppose, Myriad Colors with its KyoAni production, wackiness, and fanservice, despite not getting a whole lot of love itself).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TheMissile127

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 6:59 pm Reply with quote
Alabaster Spectrum wrote:

Yeah I also somehow I just don't see a Western company like CR pulling an Aniplex or Pony Canyon USA and gouging with Japanese market prices for whatever they can land so much as adopting a more routine Funimation style model. A few more batch deals like this and hopefully we can see a swift death put to that complete nonsense and just bury it as a thing of the past or if you will like a bad dream. More choice and affordable options, keep the ball rolling.

So glad am not the only one that thinks Aniplex and their buissness model needs to be done away with ASAP!!
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 7:03 pm Reply with quote
Cosmic Luffy wrote:
I'd be surprised if it's dubbed in Canada considering they never dubbed anything in years.

It's pretty clear (despite a complete lack of English credits) that Funi's dub for Kingdom last year was done in Canada, as there are a number of recognizable Death Note and InuYasha alumni in the cast. Unless all of them moved south? Then I guess it's a reunion dub for Canadian VAs outside of Canada. Smile With internet capable studios now, it's hard to know any more where they actually need to be to work.
Cosmic Luffy

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 7:09 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Cosmic Luffy wrote:
I'd be surprised if it's dubbed in Canada considering they never dubbed anything in years.

It's pretty clear (despite a complete lack of English credits) that Funi's dub for Kingdom last year was done in Canada, as there are a number of recognizable Death Note and InuYasha alumni in the cast. Unless all of them moved south? Then I guess it's a reunion dub for Canadian VAs outside of Canada. Smile With internet capable studios now, it's hard to know any more where they actually need to be to work.

i'm pretty sure LA dubbed Kingdom.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 7:58 pm Reply with quote
^ It's possible. Like I said, it's hard to tell where actors are based these days. I thought Brad Swaile and Kirby Morrow were still working out of Canada though. Matt HIll I think is in L.A. So, I dunno. Smile

I knew holding out for the BD of Free! ISC would someday be rewarded. I'm already drooling at the thought of all that blue, blue water in 1080p on my tv. (fan service for me is a little different from normal people's... >.>")

Now my hopes are raised for a release of Rakugo. If CR doesn't care to release it, maybe Sentai will pick up the leftovers. I don't care if it has a dub or not. If there was any justice in the world, it'd get a NISA release, but alas.
Covnam

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 8:32 pm Reply with quote
I would presume they would have mentioned it if it was the case, but maybe they are going to partner with someone for production/distribution? I think they've worked with Discotek recently?
If not, I'm always wary of a new company entering the physical media market. It's often the case that the first few releases have some issues. Not saying they can't do a good job from the start, or get better, but still I'd be cautious of buying any of their early releases until it gets reviewed at the very least.

Still, hopefully everything goes well, because I want to own more then just the first 49 episodes of Gintama Very Happy
Cosmic Luffy

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 8:34 pm Reply with quote
Covnam wrote:
I would presume they would have mentioned it if it was the case, but maybe they are going to partner with someone for production/distribution? I think they've worked with Discotek recently?
If not, I'm always wary of a new company entering the physical media market. It's often the case that the first few releases have some issues. Not saying they can't do a good job from the start, or get better, but still I'd be cautious of buying any of their early releases until it gets reviewed at the very least.

Still, hopefully everything goes well, because I want to own more then just the first 49 episodes of Gintama Very Happy

i'd rather they work with all regions minus New York and maybe have each VA from all regions working together on every anime to give them an identity.
BlueRex666

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 8:42 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
^ It's possible. Like I said, it's hard to tell where actors are based these days. I thought Brad Swaile and Kirby Morrow were still working out of Canada though. Matt HIll I think is in L.A. So, I dunno. Smile

I knew holding out for the BD of Free! ISC would someday be rewarded. I'm already drooling at the thought of all that blue, blue water in 1080p on my tv. (fan service for me is a little different from normal people's... >.>")

Now my hopes are raised for a release of Rakugo. If CR doesn't care to release it, maybe Sentai will pick up the leftovers. I don't care if it has a dub or not. If there was any justice in the world, it'd get a NISA release, but alas.

Same. I was actually going to buy it around the holiday season, but I figure if there was even a slim possibility of a DVD/Blu-Ray combo pack that the wait would be worth it. And low and behold.
MatrixGravity

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 1:24 am Reply with quote
Is it possible CR may release Bungo Stray Dogs on DVD/BD now that the series has finished?
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 2:09 am Reply with quote
Investor funding and VRV bundle streaming service............ Seems they're positioning Crunchyroll to appeal beyond the niche of the niche
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 10 of 12