• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Attack on Titan

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ulinox

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 10:07 am Reply with quote
Outstanding fight sequence. I really liked how they opened the episode with the Bertholt and Reiner flashback. A++!
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 1:35 pm Reply with quote
just a nitpick, this is not wrestling but MMA; the amngaka is a MMa fan and there's mma service sprinkled here and there (suchas mikasa's psyche, annie's fighitng styyle, etc..), this chapter was glorious, tho.
Pipoko

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 2:01 pm Reply with quote
Another great episode!

This was a great action episode - the CG looked a little off in a few shots, but looked really great in others in my eyes. In terms of animation the highlights in my eyes were the scene with Hange's and her group attacking the Colossal Titan, the little bit of punching between Eren and Reiner in Titan forms when Mikasa first attacks the Armoured Titan and everything Mikasa does.

I really liked the moment with Mikasa reflecting on hesitating and failing to kill Reiner and Bertholdt, as I did in the manga. It just adds depth to her and shows she cares in general. She's just as human as all the other characters, able to fail and have feelings.

The small moment with Hange blushing because Eren reacted to her in his Titan form was a great funny addition and useage of her Titan-loving quirk that wasn't there in the manga, too.
leatherhead333

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 8:06 pm Reply with quote
I realize that Mika wasn't exactly in the best situation to completely think things through but wouldn't it have been better to try to restrain Bert and Reiner instead of trying to kill them? (especially since she hesitated to begin with).

I assume that's what they were going to do when they wanted to lead them both underground in the first place. After all they almost succeeded with Annie if she didn't have a device on her at the time to inflict injury. The only reason she carried that with her is because she knew what everyone was up to. Reiner and Bert didn't have a such a device so I honestly think when Armin and Sasha stopped she should have at least told them about it so they could help out (everyone else was to far away). Not exactly giving her shit for it though if Armin were in the same situation he'd probably go with the restraining thing.

I just think trying to kill them (especially from the distance she was) was A LOT more risky since they had plenty of time to defend themselves, they are titan humans (thus more durable than regular humans) and not landing a fatal cut would indicate a transformation FOR THEM which is what they want.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 3:45 pm Reply with quote
I'll take a cracker...and eat it!!

Looks like we're not going to find out who else got eaten with Ymir last week. (unless there's another surprise next week)
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 4:13 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:

Looks like we're not going to find out who else got eaten with Ymir last week. (unless there's another surprise next week)

It was just some soldier, and they dead. The reason they were eaten was just to steal their ODM gear.
One-Eye

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 9:50 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:

You're fixating on a redshirt way too much. Laughing
Really just a redshirt. Laughing

Ep. 33

Agree with the review. Its a breather episode and it does drag in places, but it reminds us about the relationship of this trio which is part of the heart of this story (otherwise it might become Kabenari the Iron Schlockness). Its also pretty cool to me that it acknowledges that these two sometimes get the short end of the stick in the relationship as James put it. No matter how much of a loudmouth doofus Eren can sometimes be he is also the passionate one. The one that drives the other two. This is why without him they become a little lost and why Hannes has to remind them not to give up on the feisty blockhead.

So far this season has been better for me than the previous one. I didn't look forward to new episodes the first season, this season I do.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 1:49 pm Reply with quote
mikasa's loyalty to eren., ahs been more than satisfactorily explained, chilhood friends, saves her life, live together as a family unit. armin is the one that feels weird, but he is not as hopelessly devoted as mikasa so ti does not annoy me that much, I wonder if the original plan was ( like in muvluv ) make armin a girl too (would she be meiya or sumika?)

[EDIT]
yeah, armin is sumika and mikasa is meiya, that was too bovious.
Pipoko

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 7:41 am Reply with quote
We didn't really learn anything "new" in terms of Eren, Mikasa and Armin this episode, but seeing those more peaceful times is emotionally and thematically significant more than anything. It once again says that peace is worth fighting for, something valuable.

It's a very well-placed breather, that once again, was expanded very naturally, instead of dragging the material, and compared to the next chapter in the manga, which actually felt really jarring.
WeNTuS

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 1:57 pm Reply with quote
It's kinda weird that reviewer didn't address new things we learned in this episode. Deeper knowledge (or understanding) of what's really going on which she didn't rush to disclose to Eren, her pact with Reiner which makes her another enemy to Eren and the humanity and much bigger things going there which they give us a little hint about: "Who's our enemy?".
Chocoreto

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 2:15 pm Reply with quote
An episode full of dialogue in a series full of action, that still managed to keep me in the edge of my seat and shock me, even though I had already long ago read about it. This is terrific and brilliant.

It's also completely beyond me how can anything else in this season rank higher than this but oh well... Not everyone has taste. (Or AoT has simply a much broader audience and the score varies). Cool
Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 2:25 pm Reply with quote
James wrote
Quote:
we get to bear full witness to Reiner oscillating between the dedicated defender of humanity that he was pretending to be and the deeply conflicted and guilt-ridden traitor that he truly is.

Reiner's tipping point was spoiler[ his ordering Annie to murder Marco,and then seeing Marco's remains triggering his split]one the better scenes I feel.

Fixed for those that have not followed the anime closely.
And my apologies,

Last edited by Nordhmmer on Sun May 28, 2017 5:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 2:57 pm Reply with quote
I was kind've disappointed with this episode. I don't dislike dialogue-heavy content by any means, but it doesn't seem to be AoT's strong suit when passions are high. Each frame cut to another character showing their reaction felt more like a parody than actual people. Maybe I've been watching too much Slap on Titan? Razz

Edit: why in the world does this board's particular implementation of bb code not show the trailing bracket slash i bracket until the post is complete? What a clumsy way to approach that, yeesh.

Last edited by NeverConvex on Sun May 28, 2017 3:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 2:58 pm Reply with quote
'shots cutting back and forth between the Titans (Reiner and Bertholdt) and their captors (Ymir and Eren).'

I'm pretty sure you meant "captives", James.
hattori300

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 3:03 pm Reply with quote
this last episode does not deserve a B.
Some of the most atrocious and unintentionaly hilarious writing I have ever seen in anime.

From Ymir psycho analyzing Reiner so the audience knows exactly what Reiner is going through, to Eren's mind gymnastics in trying to figure out what is going on.

This show is simply bad when its not about people fighting titans.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 10 of 39