• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: How a Realist Hero Rebuilt the Kingdom Part 2 [2022-01-27]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kgw

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2022 5:13 am Reply with quote
To me, it seems one of the biggest deus ex machina I've ever seen. Everything was retconnected to prove Souma was always right.

Also, I am not quite sure if the Queen could send just her memories' back. If she did it with his husband, why not Georg or Castor?

I think that the idea of no-New Years' Greeting is that in Japan is a big party and celebration and in that world, well, it's not. I'd like to see their own festivities, as we don't know anything of their own culture or celebration.

It wasn't a bad series at all, but not the most exciting one. I mean, a big chunk of the episodes was Souma explaining things. And the idea that Japanese snack foods and Idol shows are great.
Ruhrpottpatriot

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2022 7:11 am Reply with quote
kgw wrote:
I think that the idea of no-New Years' Greeting is that in Japan is a big party and celebration and in that world, well, it's not. I'd like to see their own festivities, as we don't know anything of their own culture or celebration.

They have celebrations with fireworks. I wouldn't call that "not a big party". Yes in the west
new-year is only one day, opposed to the four in Japan, but not having a greeting at all is just... odd. Literally one of the oldest new-years greeting is the Jewish "schana tova"

However, all of that could actually fit into western historical precedent. Rome usually celebrated new-year on March 1, the date of the campaigning season (because... y'know being THE warring nation your first month HAS to be the month of your war-god), and where the citizens elected their generals. It's also the day of equinox and the day of lighting the fires of Vesta. All in all a big and grand day for celebrations.
On the other hands the date for the term of the two consuls began on January 1, which back then was the 11th month in the calendar (thanks Ceasar for messing up our month numbering).

So by going for a split "new-year" it could be explained why they don't have a greeting for this particular day, but they have even grander festivities with greetings, whishes and whatnot later in the year. That would be an excellent story point, since the author could again show that Souma is from another world where there's only one new year and he automatically assumed that it has to be like this in his new world as well. This flaw of subconsciously applying his cultural perceptions onto other cultures would make him a bit more human after all this "no matter what I do, I can't be wrong" season and less Gary Stue.

kgw wrote:
I'd like to see their own festivities, as we don't know anything of their own culture or celebration

I don't know though it's in the LN, but this seems to me one of the very first things cut in anime for budget reasons. Animating crowds of people, having many effects is just very expensive. Given how the show went, I'd be fine with a few lines about the shape and form of the festivities.

MFrontier wrote:
Castor really got screwed over because Albert didn't feel like telling more people about the plan. He just went along with Carmine being none the wiser as to what was really going on

kgw wrote:
If she did it with his husband, why not Georg or Castor?

Usually telling additional people raises the risk of something of it leaking, but not telling Castor was just screwing him over. We saw how loyal he is to Carmine and the kingdom at large, he wouldn't have said anything.
This would offer another very interesting possibility where your super secret, (totally not Carmine led(TM)) spy organisation has their own air wing for better strategic mobility. Could you imagine the CIA not having any of their own planes? How would they instigate a coup in South America?! Preposterous!
An additional benefit is, that Carla would have her own get out of jail/execution for free card, since now you could blame everything on her father (the concept of an individual soldier's responsibility for following unlawful orders is just ~80 years old after all).
But then Souma wouldn't have a big-tiddy, micro-skirt meido slavegirl... what a loss!

PSA: The last paragraphs may contain hints of sarcasm.
kgw

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2022 2:24 pm Reply with quote
Ruhrpottpatriot wrote:

However, all of that could actually fit into western historical precedent. Rome usually celebrated new-year on March 1, the date of the campaigning season

Yeah, I know it. They changed to January in order to build a new army to fight the "barbarous tribes" of Spain. So it might be my great-great-great (etc.) parents' fault, maybe? Razz

Ruhrpottpatriot wrote:

An additional benefit is, that Carla would have her own get out of jail/execution for free card, since now you could blame everything on her father (the concept of an individual soldier's responsibility for following unlawful orders is just ~80 years old after all).
But then Souma wouldn't have a big-tiddy, micro-skirt meido slavegirl... what a loss!
PSA: The last paragraphs may contain hints of sarcasm.

Also, let us think Souma crosses the line and Carla manages to break the slave collar, limiter or whatever and strike him down. Who will talk for Carla? Not Souma or his wives. In fact, since he's so adept into killing future enemies, who says he would not get ride of Carla one second before become a tyrant?
Ruhrpottpatriot

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2022 4:01 pm Reply with quote
kgw wrote:
In fact, since he's so adept into killing future enemies, who says he would not get ride of Carla one second before become a tyrant?

Yeah. That'd be my first agenda as a future tyrant. Kill the people that could kill me. Just look over to any autocratic state. If you want insurance make your watcher as free and independent of you as possible. I mean... that's the whole point of independent judges, right?
But as with Souma's interaction with Licia and his Harem, this plot point also caters to a very particular audience. Shield Hero is another work hitting that very same spot.
jr240483

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2022 6:37 pm Reply with quote
Hiroki not Takuya wrote:
You mean this? Interesting hints...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-X1LgziO2Ak

not really. i mean in ep 13 when van was celebrating was having their party and she was talking to colbert! (too bad i cant post any pictures here or i would show what i mean by)

its what she said in thought while leaving van makes me think that she might have a sinister alterior motive!

Quote:
Will future seasons – should they come to pass – direct the same kind of self-awareness that this episode had towards its harem elements, or will they continue to fall back on the same “omg Souma you're so great” ad nauseum? Only time will tell, but I think the nuance and creativity expressed in this episode is precisely the sort of energy I want to see going forward, and I would actually be excited to review more of the show in the future should it come to pass.

i have my doubts about that mr reviewer. considering that it said "FIN" in the end, its like the anime itself is screaming "WE HAVE ANOTHER READ THE BOOKS, KIDS!" scenario here!

after all compared to other issekai that will be guaranteed to get future seasons like jobless reincarnation, arifureta , that time i got reincarnated as a slime, RE ZERO, how not to summon a demon lord, and rise of the shield hero, it appears that the source materials for realist hero arent as nearly popular enough as those other issekai series to warrant a new season even though its light novels have over 15 volumes and a spinoff series in japan!

then again i could be wrong and there will be a sequel in the future. i for one hope so for like with slime, realist hero are the ONLY TWO anime series that i ever watched in english subs FIRST before going to the dubs!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Picky33

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2022 7:10 pm Reply with quote
This last episode felt so out of place, like this was some contractual plot point the author required to be told in the series. it would have made more sense for that to be episode 10 and have 11 happen at the same time story wise, aka while soma is meeting with the prior king the ladies are doing there class. I enjoy the series but the last 2 episodes really killed it for me. honestly a lot of the endings this season feel flat in my opinion.

Reviewer wrote:
I would actually be excited to review more of the show in the future should it come to pass.
I doubt this based on how much you whined about having to review this earlier.

overall I give it a 7.5 out of 10. it had its moments but it never lived up to the first season to me. I may pick it up, if its either on sale or sold as a complete set (both seasons 1 box)

Honestly the debates in the forums from all the history nerds was more entertaining.
Cryten

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2022 1:26 am Reply with quote
If I had to give a theme to this anime it would be "How convenient it is that I am right about all the important things". I had said it in the season 1 reviews but I feel it focuses more on pleasing the viewers point of view and dismisses the human factors.

But as a discussion of ruler concepts it is fine. Its a shame nothing challenges those points of view but it is entertaining and self empowering. It does its job as entertainment quite well.
Sariachan

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2022 3:28 pm Reply with quote
Does someone know how many LNs were covered by the anime overall?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2022 3:54 pm Reply with quote
4, the sex ed stuff is from the fifth however
Sariachan

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2022 8:31 am Reply with quote
killjoy_the wrote:
4, the sex ed stuff is from the fifth however

Thank you very much! That part did feel a bit randomly placed lol.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
Page 10 of 10