• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba Swordsmith Village Arc

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jdnation

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2023 6:44 pm Reply with quote
Show continues to be fun. But it is kind of devolving in the story department. Ufotable's production quality continues to be the real star here. Imagine this on a lower budget and it'd be a typical shonen also-ran.

It has its moments, but overall the humor can get belabouring and tiresome. Some complain that Chainsaw-Man ditched the cartoon moe distortions from the manga, but Demon Slayer veers in the opposite direction of excess, and does it to a fault. The result? The visual jokes wear themselves out and the show goes with the tired trope of everyone YELLING = Funny.

Also the flashbacks before the Nezuko death fake-out was excessively emotional only to go,"Nah, just kidding." I get that this was a tough choice for Tanjiro, but the dilemma could have been sold better. This would've played well if she actually died, but as most people would've seen through it guessing she'd obviously survive somehow, you could see the rug there ready to be pulled based on how they were overselling it.

Anyway, the show is still entertaining, but a far cry from the quality of the previous arcs. Except for the very end, not much has actually happened throughout this season. It felt more transitional.

I know the manga ended rather soon right before the anime blew up, and I think I'm beginning to see why. Other than spectacular action, and good character design, it's not doing much else. But just enough that I can see why younger audiences will love it.
#Synaesthesia

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2023 6:51 pm Reply with quote
Going forward, I think it would be best to pick reviewers that haven't already read the source manga, because you really can't compare an anime to it's manga and call it "valid criticism", its just lazy. To call season 3 a disappointment is absolutely ludicrous. This series has undeniably shown that each season is better than the previous.
lossthief
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2023 6:55 pm Reply with quote
#Synaesthesia wrote:
Going forward, I think it would be best to pick reviewers that haven't already read the source manga, because you really can't compare an anime to it's manga and call it "valid criticism", its just lazy. To call season 3 a disappointment is absolutely ludicrous. This series has undeniably shown that each season is better than the previous.

James hasn't read the source manga so I don't know why you're bringing that up here.
Cryten

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2023 6:56 pm Reply with quote
#Synaesthesia wrote:

Personally I have not read the source and found no fault with the reviewers opinion. I agree that this is the most disappointing season of Demon Slayer so far. That also seems to be the accepted position of many who watched, even those who enjoyed themselves. (I did partially while being annoyed at the pitfalls)

If anything comparisons to the source are an asset as long as future think spoilers are not inflitrating the review, which has been managed well this time.
#Synaesthesia

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2023 7:01 pm Reply with quote
I really don't see how this season was disappointing.. every aspect of the production was on point, the pacing was perfect, they even nailed the ending! I'm sorry for those of you who couldn't see that ¯⁠\⁠_⁠(⁠ツ⁠)⁠_⁠/⁠¯
Cryten

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2023 7:08 pm Reply with quote
Respectfully disagree with everything but the production looking good. Pacing was laggy even in the finale, though the finale was a bit better for it having more then 1-2 events in the entire episode. The ending had some of the better elements but spoiled a few of those with its mandatory flash backs, and the series having already faked out deaths so many times it undercut its own drama.

As I said earlier I actually really liked the tension of the struggle between lives and the self sacrifice of Nezuko. It is a shame I just could not trust the story to follow through pulling me out of it.
tintor2

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2023 8:11 pm Reply with quote
Probably the weakest parts from this arc is how Ufotable exploited 6 backstories that interrupted the flow of the battles, resulting into anticlimatic endings. Then we have Tanjiro having his third flashback in general that really came out of nowhere as we never saw him talking with Zenitsu this cour or the past one. This series has a tendency to use flashbacks alot when Tanjiro needs to come up with a new technique in the same fashion as Saint Seiya.
Covnam

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2023 11:02 pm Reply with quote
I enjoyed the season, but it was probably the weakest. The drawn out fight because Hantengu kept splitting and running is probably part of this. Maybe the pacing worked better in the manga?
Speaking of, I wonder if Nezuko's sacrifice and solar upgrade was broken up by chapters giving it a better impact...

Some thoughts:

Hopefully we'll find out later, but I wonder if Nezuko never eating any humans had something to do with her new ability...

Considering the village location is now known, is keeping up all that secrecy still necessary?

Shouldn't the others be leaving with Tanjiro too or does everyone get their own taxi service? Laughing

Not sure if I mentioned it before, but considering the importance of the village you'd think there'd always be a Hashira or right below them on permanent (or rotating) stand-by just in case. I think there were some other demon slayers, but iirc they were just seemingly low ranks. Guess there's always next time...

I guess the new fire speed technique is kind of like this, but it would have been neat to have Tanjiro either use a thunder technique or some sort of combo technique instead of it just being fire. You could kind of see some electricity for a moment the first time, but that was it.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2023 11:32 pm Reply with quote
Covnam wrote:
Considering the village location is now known, is keeping up all that secrecy still necessary?

To me it seems like they'd be looking to move rather than rebuild in a place the demons have, somehow, found (were we ever told how?). What's to keep others from attacking them, other than Muzan being no longer interested in anything but Nezuko, which no one else yet realizes?
MysticGon

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2023 1:07 am Reply with quote
I couldn't read the review sadly. Every time I try to read a sentence the entire paragraph moves around on account of the aggressive advertisements rotating in and out. Shame because I think the reviewer has been spot on. This season was bad.

Montages are low hanging fruit that are easy ways to get the old feels feeling. However, I could only think during those scenes "if this is a fake out it will be hard to forgive the planners, screenwriters and series directors" instead of the emotional nostalgia trip they were trying to force their audience on. The montage is manipulative but very effective when done well and disrespectfully cheap when done poorly.

These 6 hours over the course of 3 months felt like a cash grab. It disregarded the viewers time and storytelling integrity for increased ad revenue. I can't justify weekly watching for this series any longer, even after singing it's praises for so long. If Aniplex and Ufotable turn in another stinker next year the reserves left in my tank, as far as investment in these characters' fates and story's resolution, will be exhausted regardless of how close to the end the next arc ends up being.
Covnam

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2023 10:54 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
To me it seems like they'd be looking to move rather than rebuild in a place the demons have, somehow, found (were we ever told how?). What's to keep others from attacking them, other than Muzan being no longer interested in anything but Nezuko, which no one else yet realizes?

That's what I would expect as well, but they seemed to be rebuilding, though that could just be a short term thing

Last edited by Covnam on Wed Jun 21, 2023 5:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
YourNameIsMitsuha

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2023 11:14 am Reply with quote
My issue with you reviewing Demon Slayer is that it's EXACTLY like what I see in Chainsaw Man, but Chainsaw Man has actual writing problems, not just being boring. You allowed your manga fueled hype to blind you to the reality that at best Chainsaw Man is a B- anime that is so much less than the sum of its parts consistantly, when it isn't being actively bad. So when I see this review of you being objective here, it makes me a little angry when I think of how unfairly positive you were about an objectively worse show.
Nagsura

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2023 9:25 am Reply with quote
YourNameIsMitsuha wrote:
My issue with you reviewing Demon Slayer is that it's EXACTLY like what I see in Chainsaw Man, but Chainsaw Man has actual writing problems, not just being boring. You allowed your manga fueled hype to blind you to the reality that at best Chainsaw Man is a B- anime that is so much less than the sum of its parts consistantly, when it isn't being actively bad. So when I see this review of you being objective here, it makes me a little angry when I think of how unfairly positive you were about an objectively worse show.

Pretty hard to agree Chainsaw Man's anime adaptation is objectively worse than this season of Demon Slayer when the former didn't drag and pad out for screentime in almost every episode nor completely interrupt the flow of the story by adding flashback after flashback, not to mention the constant repetition of the previously-seen scenes (sometimes without even adding anything at all) just for further, obvious padding.
YourNameIsMitsuha

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2023 6:18 am Reply with quote
Pretty hard to agree Chainsaw Man's anime adaptation is objectively worse than this season of Demon Slayer when the former didn't drag and pad out for screentime in almost every episode nor completely interrupt the flow of the story by adding flashback after flashback, not to mention the constant repetition of the previously-seen scenes (sometimes without even adding anything at all) just for further, obvious padding.[/quote]

That's fair, I'm not saying there isn't a lot of padding in this arc. No one is arguing that... I believe I said James's assessment of Demon Slayer is fair (if entirely focused on the negative). But I'll take some extra padding over head-ache inducing issues with writing that Chainsaw Man has, which James's review of Chainsaw Man 100% ignored. If you read his reviews (and subsequent comments that anyone who doesn't like Chainsaw Man is wrong, which is frankly offensive), you would walk away with the idea that Chainsaw Man is a perfect anime that must be watched now. And it isn't. And if you read Demon Slayer reviews, a better series, you would walk away with the idea that it's not worth watching. These are not even close to objective looks at these shows. That's my issue here.
The Anime Binge-Watcher

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2023 7:04 am Reply with quote
YourNameIsMitsuha wrote:
Pretty hard to agree Chainsaw Man's anime adaptation is objectively worse than this season of Demon Slayer when the former didn't drag and pad out for screentime in almost every episode nor completely interrupt the flow of the story by adding flashback after flashback, not to mention the constant repetition of the previously-seen scenes (sometimes without even adding anything at all) just for further, obvious padding.

That's fair, I'm not saying there isn't a lot of padding in this arc. No one is arguing that... I believe I said James's assessment of Demon Slayer is fair (if entirely focused on the negative). But I'll take some extra padding over head-ache inducing issues with writing that Chainsaw Man has, which James's review of Chainsaw Man 100% ignored. If you read his reviews (and subsequent comments that anyone who doesn't like Chainsaw Man is wrong, which is frankly offensive), you would walk away with the idea that Chainsaw Man is a perfect anime that must be watched now. And it isn't. And if you read Demon Slayer reviews, a better series, you would walk away with the idea that it's not worth watching. These are not even close to objective looks at these shows. That's my issue here.[/quote]You really gotta stop using the word "objective" like it has a real place in art criticism. In my "objective" opinion, Demon Slayer is a terribly written piece of schlock only beloved because of its overqualified production values, while Chainsaw Man is a brutally entertaining roller-coaster ride of shock and awe with some real thematic meat on its bones as it explores how people find happiness in a world gone mad. Your preference for Demon Slayer is no more objective than mine for Chainsaw Man, it's simply your opinion, and the issues you have with it, whatever they may be, are not issues that everyone has with it. No show is "objectively" better than any other, and the sooner you accept that, the sooner you'll realize that all reviewers are just communicating their opinions and their preferences are just as valid as yours.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 10 of 11