• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What are you watching right now? Why? (please read 1st post)

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
louis6578

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 8:40 pm Reply with quote
^^;; I think we'd all appreciate a little more insight to your current experience with the series.

Regardless, I'm probably going to rewatch The Irresponsible Captain Tylor. I've been watching a lot of early 90's anime lately (Yu Yu Hakusho, Tenchi Muyo OVAs, Ranma 1/2, Video Girl Ai, Oh My Goddess, etc.) Figure I may as well fit another one in.
SnowyLightning44

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 8:36 am Reply with quote
Just finished watching Honey and Clover II and while I feel that honestly the finale of the first season was good enough, the second season was still a nice addition to it. The beginning mostly revolving around Mayama and Yamada's relationship and how the two of them had to uncomfortably find how to deal with it and parts like how Yamada had to come to terms with him not being that interested in her (and her view point when rejecting someone when the suitors came) and Mayama having to look at Rika in a similar fashion were good from a different perspective point of view (although the extent to which he looked over her e.g. camping outside her house, getting into her computer was kinda of creepy). Again dealing with an uncomfortable situation after Takemoto came back from his 'journey' and confessed to Hagu, she also began avoiding him but that got resolved fairly quickly. I was surprised with the ending spoiler[with Shu ending up with Hagu instead of Takemoto or Morita] but as the previous episodes did show more of them in the past and how they met and looked after each other it did make sense (I always keep forgetting that Hagu is supposed to be at least 18). spoiler[The final scene of the anime was also a nice touch as well with Hagu giving Takemoto the slices of bread with Honey and Four-Leafed Clovers inside which they were pervious unable to find]
Also I once again enjoyed the variation of insert songs that Spitz and Suga Shikao and as well as the BGM
louis6578

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 2:27 pm Reply with quote
Upon rewatching the first 19 episodes of The Irresponsible Captain Tylor, I've come to realize that it isn't nearly as good as I remember it being.

IT'S EVEN BETTER! OH MY GOD! I LOVE TYLOR! I LOVE LIEUTENANT YAMAMOTO! And I think my favorite character may be Captain Dom of the Holy Ralgon Empire, simply for being the first to realize that Captain Tylor is a great threat to them all, even if his successes are unintentional. The fact that the characters on board the Soyokaze and the higher-ups of the Earth's forces think of Tylor as a liability at first while Dom immediately realizes the greatness of this man makes him easily endeared to me. I love the line he said when Tylor's crew managed to kill... some high ranking Ralgon guy whose name escapes me. "If that maneuver was on purpose then Tylor is an incredible strategic mind beyond his years. If it was an accident, he has the devil's luck. No matter what anyone believes, luck is the most important factor to have on the battlefield."

But the one thing that may be slightly better than Dom is Lieutenant Yamamoto. His growing respect for Tylor, especially when Tylor gets captured, is amazing. I love how he imitates Tylor in the captain's absence to get them through these times.

Also, this may be one of the best New York English Dubs ever. That's not saying too much, since it's honestly pretty average for the most part, but Tylor and Yamamoto themselves are easily strong enough to carry the dub alone, even if the rest of the cast ranges from passable to Garzey's Wing level.

I think the best strength of this show is, despite Tylor's own comedic personality (whether you believe he's a magnificent bastard or just a lucky one), the rest of the show is a played space warfare anime. This means that while Tylor himself (and by extension, his crew) is guaranteed to get through things because of his plot armor and the lighthearted tone of his scenes, the other characters act as though they're part of an actual dramatic anime. This is something that pleases me greatly, as if the show was entirely comedic, it would probably get repetitive quickly. Instead, it balances dark drama, comedy, and emotional reward incredibly well. I rated it Very Good, but honestly, it could damn well be a masterpiece depending on what you're going for.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 8:27 am Reply with quote
I'm glad to hear you liked it. It's one of those titles I own but haven't watched yet and I've never really heard anyone discuss it.
louis6578

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 4:12 pm Reply with quote
I refuse to spoil what makes the last several episodes of Captain Tylor legendary, but I will say that I officially promote it from Very Good to Excellent. Hell, the poor dub NEVER even bothered me once. Everything about this show is so amazing that I pity anyone who has yet to see it. My only concern is that I have these pesky OVAs and I know that they end on a cliffhanger. I wonder if they're worth watching.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 4:32 pm Reply with quote
@Blood-

Captain Tylor is something I was buying on VHS back in the day. It was OK until I got to the point where he was captured by the enemy spoiler[and became the Princess's dog.] I couldn't handle that and gave up. Presumably at some point that worked to his advantage but I wasn't willing to go on. If you think you can accept that it might be worth trying. The first few episodes were funny.
Errinundra

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 4:48 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
I'm glad to hear you liked it. It's one of those titles I own but haven't watched yet and I've never really heard anyone discuss it.

This, if you can forgive me blowing my own trumpet. I agree with louis6578, that what happens at the climax of the war and thereafter elevates the series beyond its earlier levels.

The hurdle that proved too high for Alan45 is jumped fairly quickly so don't be put off by it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 4:51 pm Reply with quote
Errinundra wrote:
Blood- wrote:

This, if you can forgive me blowing my own trumpet. I agree with louis6578, that what happens at the climax of the war and thereafter elevates the series beyond its earlier levels.

The hurdle that proved too high for Alan45 is jumped fairly quickly so don't be put off by it.

Thanks, for the reinforcement, Errinundra. I should mention that I only superficially glanced at louis6578's post - just enough to see he liked it. I'm trying to know as little about it as possible (as it my usual habit). However, I'll check out your review for sure once I've seen it.
louis6578

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 6:35 pm Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
@Blood-

Captain Tylor is something I was buying on VHS back in the day. It was OK until I got to the point where he was captured by the enemy spoiler[and became the Princess's dog.] I couldn't handle that and gave up. Presumably at some point that worked to his advantage but I wasn't willing to go on. If you think you can accept that it might be worth trying. The first few episodes were funny.

Here's the thing, I disliked that part too. In fact, I get what they were going for (have Tylor be close to the princess so that she can grow attached to him and the two can form a bond in spite of their different allegiances), but the pet thing was discomforting to me. Have her visit him in his prison cell often, assist him with the escape covertly, or even extend the part where he escapes his cell and hangs out with her before being recaptured. Pet!? Ugh... you just know someone in the production staff was pleasuring himself with the idea. This isn't Sword Art Online. Come on Captain Tylor. You're better than this!

Thankfully, the pet phase only lasts an episode or two. However, the thing is... if you didn't think the show was good prior to that, the ending won't change your mind because it is reliant on how much you care about these characters. However, if you were even mildly entertained by these characters, you are doing yourself the greatest disservice by not seeing where their stories conclude. It's heartwarming, emotionally cathartic, and awesome all at once. I haven't had this many warm fuzzies about the concluding scene of a story since I watched Monster's Inc.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 10:27 pm Reply with quote
I think that I've only seen the first three or so episodes of Captain Tylor back when the series was first released. It's one of those shows that I do actually want to see in its entirety, though.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 10:39 pm Reply with quote
The scene in question didn't bother me at all. But the Christmas episode? I was so furious I had to shelve the series for awhile before I could finish it. And I still haven't forgiven Tylor. Really, that one episode pretty much ruined the whole series for me.
louis6578

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 10:42 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
The scene in question didn't bother me at all. But the Christmas episode? I was so furious I had to shelve the series for awhile before I could finish it. And I still haven't forgiven Tylor. Really, that one episode pretty much ruined the whole series for me.

Thankfully, that was an OVA taking place post-series. As such... you can just enjoy the series while discounting the OVAs.

Anyway, I just watched Gundam The Origin episode 3. IT WAS AWESOME! Char is life. I wub him.
Mob Puchu

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 9:27 am Reply with quote
I'm watching Mob Psycho 100, i think is a really fun anime, the main character is always under so much pressure jajajaja
louis6578

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 7:51 pm Reply with quote
Things I've been watching...? Just rewatched the entirety of Tenchi Muyo Ryo-Ohki in anticipation for the 4th season. Honestly, season one was the best, and even that left room for improvement. As it goes on it gets worse, but season 3 is still as unwatchable as ever.

I then rewatched Tenchi Universe. This was Tenchi at its best. I believe this is the version people should go into first, if not just the first season of the OVAs. The Universe continuity is the one with the least problems though. Just watch it and the 3 movies associated with it and you can't go wrong.

And then I watched El-Hazard. The original 7 episode OVA series. The ending was a little flat, and the dub voice of Makoto was completely garbage, but Jinnai was the perfect scumbag character. He's like the best parts of Izaya from Durarara mixed with Nishijima from Kenichi and a little bit of your bratty cousin who always gets his way. Perfect for a minor antagonist. Honestly, the show should have focused on him more. He's awesome.

And now... I finished disc one of Sailor Moon S. It's... alright so far. Haruka and Michiru have already endeared me to them. Usagi is also a little less annoying this time around. I hear this is the height of the 1990's Sailor Moon anime, so hopefully it won't disappoint.
Akane the Catgirl

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 12:10 am Reply with quote
^ In regards to Sailor Moon, I believe the third season was when Ikuhara took over the directing helm. That might explain a few things.

Meanwhile, I just finished watching Episode 17 of Sword Art Online. It was...bad. As to be expected of a "Fairy Dance" episode, but this was bad in a unique way. Let's just say there's a reason I'm going to be giving this the alt-title of "A Step Backwards for Feminism".

On the plus side, I'm watching Ouran and Jojo, so that should keep me going through this sh*tstorm. I'll try to get my post up when I can. Tomorrow morning, I'm going to go with my mom to pick up my sister from the airport. I can't wait to see her! Very Happy
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 933 of 1062