• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Dusk Maiden of Amnesia (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:14 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
If there are ghosts and stuff then it couts as horror, doesn't mean that its goal is to scare or quite freak you out, like for the same reason with Rental Magica. Like I picked up that it was more horror for the characteer. What was that other show, maybe Occult Accademy, though strangely it is not counted as a horror in the encyclopedia, maybe I am wrong.

Many anime that have ghost and stuffs don't count as horror. lol
Are Hikaru No go, Hayate, Natsume .... Horror?
One-Eye

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 1:38 am Reply with quote
I read the manga and wow, I guess they are going to try to squeeze a lot into 12 episodes. The feel of the manga was slower paced as things got to be revealed. It was a bit ecchi, and there was comedy but yes there was some horror too. Whether the anime adaptation will include some scary stuff or just try to make it some simple romantic comedy is anybody's guess. After watching the first episode though I feel optimistic where its heading. I thought the show looked pretty nice and I laughed at the whole set-up for this episode even though it was a bit obvious from the beginning. I look forward to the rest of the season with this one.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 2:30 pm Reply with quote
Anyone who classifies this as a horror and not a comedy has their head screwed on backward. I suppose some people were fooled at first glance because what it has in common with Another, which was a dark creepy school setting. The similarity ends there.

(The student body in Another didn't have a club to investigate the paranormal. They didn't need one.)

I like quirk. And I have to say an anime that has a boob-feel on a ghost in the first episode can't be all bad.
Mr Sinister

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 3:34 pm Reply with quote
First show I've watched of the new season. Liked it, curious as to the mood of the show from here on. I'm fine with either direction comedy/romance/horror/mystery.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 6:58 pm Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:
Anyone who classifies this as a horror and not a comedy has their head screwed on backward.
Your right, I wonder when is the last time I saw a comedy where spoiler[a girls body was buried beneath the floor boards?]
Gatherum

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 2:37 am Reply with quote
I can tell that this is going to be a rather fast-paced show. Such is not the best idea for a mystery, and I am concerned that perhaps this could exhibit the all-too-common problem apparent in anime today: too much content, not enough runtime, resulting in a rushed delivery.

However, this episode felt right. I already like Yuuko a lot. She amuses me, and fits into the friendly, yet slightly mischievous apparition archetype quite well so far. I'm slightly discouraged at the archetype Niiya plays though, which is the nervously perverted, yet unrealistically restrained adolescent male. To his credit, he does appear to be spoiler[a bit more open-minded about the romantic concepts behind the sensation of touch of a (non-?)sexual nature and in the idea of romance in general,] not to mention less inclined to find himself in the company of a harem. I do hope he develops a more dynamic personality in later episodes. There are too many adolescent male protagonists in anime that come across as dull, going-through-the-motions kind of guys.

Okonagi is obviously the comic relief, though I hope they don't have too much of her throughout the show. Her melodramatic and overblown determinations and fear-inspired outbursts are amusing, but can only be endured for so long.

As for Kirie... "What is this tomfoolery?"

I watched Uppote! first, but this has certainly taken priority and probably outright taken over. The next episode will be the true first episode, where this one was really more of an exposition of the main characters and their personalities as well as a quick rundown of the show's central themes and mysteries.
Mister V

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:30 am Reply with quote
That character design and art! I bet the quality's going to drop, but as long as they draw Yuuko like that, I'm going to follow it. She's a damn nice character, and I just want to see more bonding with her.
According to what I heard from people who read the manga, it sort of dawdles around, and it still isn't finished, so I don't know what to expect, maybe a non-ending or anime original. This is DEEN we're talking about, so I wouldn't expect much, but... we'll see.
Papochulo

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:52 pm Reply with quote
Stark700 wrote:
I'm kinda curious if the anime follows the manga.

It seems to have started a few chapters after the manga so I'd guess we'll see some flashbacks soon regarding how each character is introduced. The manga has a darker tone than the anime and I suspect the anime is not going to really follow the manga other than using the same characters.
supercreep

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 4:43 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
If there are ghosts and stuff then it couts as horror, doesn't mean that its goal is to scare or quite freak you out, like for the same reason with Rental Magica. Like I picked up that it was more horror for the characteer. What was that other show, maybe Occult Accademy, though strangely it is not counted as a horror in the encyclopedia, maybe I am wrong.

Anyway wante to mention that I was in no way scared in the eppisode, I was actually already laughing at the fact that what ever it was, was likely making fun of her, it just let me appreciate the difference seeing did. Such as the difference of context of the flirting, the first one it did pretty much look like it could be flirting, but totaly different the second time. I mean there are a number of fiction where we know some characters can't be seen or heard by some others, and I think done here it helped, instead of thinking that they might just be ignoring said character.

I disagree. "Ghosts and stuff" only put in in the supernatural category. If they add scares, it will then be horror, or even supernatural horror as horror does not depend on said supernatural elements. You were not scared because you were not supposed to be scared. As of right now, this show is in no way horror; It is a supernatural comedy.
tetron

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:54 am Reply with quote
Really digging the first episode with two perspectives of seeing/not seeing Yuuko. Little comedy mixed into seriousness isn't that bad imo.

I currently need to get my hearing adjusted from the guy whos doing the VA of Teiichi-san because he also does the VA of AIchi Sendou in Cardfight Vanguard Anime hyper (currently sounds weird to me)
Nosferatu21

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:33 am Reply with quote
Just finished the first 2 episodes and I really like this series. Disappointed that it will only be 12 eps because I could look at Yuuko all day.

I'm generally not a fan of spoiler[watching the same scene twice from different perspectives,] but I thought this show did a wonderful job with it. As I watched spoiler[the first 6 minutes the 2nd time, I found myself just watching Yuuko and not paying attention to Okonogi at all.] Everything that we saw Yuuko do in that time was what I expected though I did crack a smile at her jealousy of Okonogi saying she thought Teiichi was cute Smile

The second episode goes back and shows how each character is introduced much like Papochulo thought it might. Found it very entertaining. Definitely had some comedic moments such as spoiler[Yuuko chasing Okonogi around as a ghost] and a couple moments that have a few darker tones like spoiler[Teiichi seeing visions of Yuuko trapped, crying, and pleading for help,]

I'll be looking forward to this show each week. Also we're up to spoiler[3 boob grabs] through 2 episodes which is just fine with me.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:33 am Reply with quote
I saw episode 2 as well, got to say the bit I found most intersting was how she is so confident with her body, spoiler[but totally acted embarassed over him looking at her skeletal body.] Probably says something about her mentality, either way hot ghost school girl is fun to look at. Including some glasses and ghost cosplay, her demonic form looked cool and other one funny.

Also have to mention that I like some of their scenes of dusk sky, my favourite time of the day.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:44 am Reply with quote
Enjoyable series, for sure. My little pet peeve is the "I'm a Japanese male, so I have to be freaked out at the thought of seeing a girl naked or by touching her." I can't tell you how unbounded my joy would be if anime drove a stake through this absurd trope once and for all. Teenage boys - regardless of country - are involuntary horndogs. Seeing female nakedness IS NOT like looking at one of Lovecraft's creatures. If a gorgeous female offers you to feel her breasts, your instinctual reaction is not one of horror and terror. It just isn't. Japan, please dispose of this psychologically untrue bullshit once and for all. You're embarrassing yourself.

I think that's why I liked High School DxD so much: finally a MC who acted the way a real teenage male would when confronted with big tits and naked chicks.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:09 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Seeing female nakedness IS NOT like looking at one of Lovecraft's creatures.

At least not in this series, though another series might not be too far from the truth. This girl in particular is ghost that if she wanted to could harass him and no one could prevent her.

Maybe seeing a naked body in anime land is like the reaction past trauma, you know how violent anime girls can be. Perhaps it comes from a social stigma of being afraid of being branded as a pervert, you know the sort of thing that probably actually causes a minority to do all those crazy things you read on certain websites.
Mister V

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 2:41 pm Reply with quote
Both OP and ED go right into my collection, once they come out. I like how they actually added a personal touch by animating her singing them.

I like the series so far. Of course, there's that, but I think they'll sooner abandon the Imperial family and tradition than get rid of that, I try not to notice it. Either way, I could look at her all day. As a matter of fact, I do need a new wallpaper...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 20