• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Right Stuf to Print Former Tokyopop Title Bizenghast's Vol. 8

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shawnek
Accredited Retailer

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 8:28 pm Reply with quote
Sakurazuka_Reika wrote:
Is this going to be a trend now? Cause this is too expensive to be worth shipping to my country.

We really do not make anything on shipping, to be honest. I know that some customers have made use of freight forwarders or have taken advantage of free shipping by having a US friend take delivery and having the product reshipped to them. Is that an option for you?
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 9:20 pm Reply with quote
shawnek wrote:
I'm a little disappointed that you'd think that I'd be involved with anything where the author wasn't going to be paid.

Given TOKYOPOP's back history, your surprised someone raises such an issue?
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 6:19 am Reply with quote
shawnek:
Quote:
I'm a little disappointed that you'd think that I'd be involved with anything where the author wasn't going to be paid.

Don't worry. I trust you.
Hellfish

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 2:56 pm Reply with quote
Finally! Very Happy I was really worried I would never see the end of the story so for me this are good news. I will probably have to pay extra but I was planning on making an order on right stuff anyway so better to put all stuff together Very Happy
shawnek
Accredited Retailer

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 8:18 pm Reply with quote
Sunday Silence wrote:
shawnek wrote:

Do you have some data showing that Tokyopop did not pay its authors or licensors royalties?

I understand people have a dislike for Stu Levy, but this is a fairly serious accusation that needs to be backed up with facts.

Regardless, in terms of my involvement, I can insure payments are made since we have direct contact.
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 11:08 pm Reply with quote
shawnek wrote:
Sunday Silence wrote:
shawnek wrote:

Do you have some data showing that Tokyopop did not pay its authors or licensors royalties?

Does the words of former creators they left high and dry count?

http://robot6.comicbookresources.com/2011/05/tokyopop-in-the-rear-view-mirror/
shawnek
Accredited Retailer

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 10:43 am Reply with quote
Sunday Silence wrote:

Does the words of former creators they left high and dry count?

http://robot6.comicbookresources.com/2011/05/tokyopop-in-the-rear-view-mirror/

I don't see anything at that link stating that the creators are/were not getting paid.

To the best of my knowledge, Tokyopop bought their properties and chose not to continue them. The creators still received a remittance for them to have sold those properties to Tokyopop.

I certainly understand the disappointment of the fans not being able to finish their series, as well as those authors whose series were not continued. We are trying to make a difference, in cases like these, as we are doing here with Bizenghast. The last volume in the story was not printed, so we are making that happen. Many of these authors are in the same situation and may have work completed that may be ready to go. I'll be reaching out to some of them over time to see what we can do to assist.

There is a distinct difference, however, between someone who was paid to create something and the company chose to not do something with it (this happens in Hollywood all of the time!) and someone having their work essentially "stolen" because they were not paid for it. It does not sound to me that the latter is what occurred, but more the former. Regardless, I'm not here to critique Tokyopop's business practice. I'm trying to do what I can to serve the fans (and in turn, help get creators' works out there so both they and the fans can benefit from them).
Magnab

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 12:55 pm Reply with quote
Is there any chance of getting light novels on print on demand say for example Full Metal Panic? Even if it is just the rereleases that would nice. Although new releases would be great. Laughing Thanks
shawnek
Accredited Retailer

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 3:30 pm Reply with quote
Here are the words of Ms. LeGrow:

http://icv2.com/articles/news/22982.html
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2