• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Stream - All That Jazz

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Thatguy3331

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:05 pm Reply with quote
Both space bros and kids on the slope are shows I'm behind on at the momment, but from what I HAVE seen I get the feeling I'll enjoy whats to come.

Hyouka: Episode 8 was a GREAT pick up from a admittedly lackluster episodes 6&7. while they had great character momments, the cases there were TOO mundane to be remotely interesting even in the "hm? what if...?" sense. This ep on the otherhand gives us that great character interaction and a case to acctually get curious over. Even though I speak badly on 6&7's cases, The first half of 6 had me cracking up and 7 had nice spades of Eru and Hotaru momments.

HxH: I really REALLY can't wait for this saturday. Its gonna get crazy!!!

Accel world: I'm acctually surpised this survived this colum addition bamboo as I was sure you'd drop it with the most recent episode. Even I have to admit, I didn't exactly feel that sense of danger when they were talking about this virus monster or whatever and seeing some real world consequence would be nice too, however its still a pretty fun series in my book and the characters are MUCH more likable and tolerable now than they were in the beging of the seris, well, in my honest opinion anyway.

I seriously need to catch up on Lupin, My laptop screwed itself over so now I can't get to funi's website, and I REALLY got used to watching this on my larger-than-android-tablet-screen.

Oh crap I totally forgot about tsuritama too... Guess when I have time I'll marathon that, along with F/S z so I can see what the hubub is all about and Panda cafe. I like pandas.
Lynx Amali

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:30 pm Reply with quote
Pirates: As I have the novels, I'm not surprised by the pace at all. The last few episodes, having been anime original, caught me pleasantly surprised as I enjoyed them which rarely happens.

Zetman: Meh. Considering the fact that the anime is condensing stuff like you wouldn't believe (Episode 1 was what? The first few chapters and some of the really late ones?) Considering the show has apparently been said to be going for a bad end, I'll stick with it just to see how they handle it.

Fate/ Zero: Still have to finish the early episodes of S2. Stuck on the stuff about Kiri's past. Can't seem to finish them. So, no comment.

Accel World: My show this season. Awesome soundtrack, likable characters, pile bunkers, enjoyable plot and pile bunkers. Did I mention how I love pile bunkers as a weapon? Razz

Astral Ocean: Sticking with it. Loved the original E7 and that took me a bit to warm up to. (Freaking Holland and Renton.) Still curious about what the Secret are and if I drop it, that's going to bug me. I have my own theory about them. spoiler[Being an Anti Corallian System left behind by Dewey as sort of a last ditch effort perhaps?]

Kids on the Slope: See, I'm torn on this. On one hand, I love the music. But on the other hand, I'm not really enjoying the show itself. I'll probably end up revisiting it a few years down the road like I did with Beck though (And that became one of my all time favorite shows.)
StormSky92

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:25 pm Reply with quote
Still not watching Hyouka? It's really good.

I'm only watching 5 shows this season:

1. Dusk Maiden of Amnesia-It's really good. Although, i'm not liking it as much as I did as first. It's a little predictable. I still haven't watched the newest episode yet, and I hope it's really good.

2. Hyouka-I'm trying not to really like this series, because I feel like something more needs to happen. Yet every week, I get sucked into the series.

3. Upotte!!-Why did it have to end like that? Such a sudden ending. In the manga, that part is so much longer and better. It should of been another 2 episodes.

4. Accel World-I'm hoping it will get better. I'm still watching it because it's slightly more interesting than it started out, but it could have a much more interesting plot.

5. Rock Lee-lolzwtf If I didn't like Naruto, I couldn't stand it.
superdry

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:30 pm Reply with quote
StormSky92 wrote:

She could be watching it, but it's not in the column because the show is not being streamed in the US. Thus, no need to write about it for the column.
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:33 pm Reply with quote
Lynx Amali wrote:
Pirates: As I have the novels, I'm not surprised by the pace at all. The last few episodes, having been anime original, caught me pleasantly surprised as I enjoyed them which rarely happens.

I liked the pace fine, but saw a dearth of tension and conflict that made it hard for me to feel interested or invested in the series.

Could you clarify what has been original to the anime? Was it just the short arc about the dinghy race, or the whole final act so far? I have almost no knowledge of the novels, but I did like the way the dinghy race arc came to a close. It injected some bracing danger to the series, gave Ai Hoshimiya a neat little moment of triumph and even a small, subtly decisive moment of characterization for Marika.

StormSky92 wrote:

There's no legal stream of the series in North America, so it's not eligible for the column.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Lynx Amali

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:37 pm Reply with quote
Surrender Artist wrote:

I liked the pace fine, but saw a dearth of tension and conflict that made it hard for me to feel interested or invested in the series.

Could you clarify what has been original to the anime? Was it just the short arc about the dinghy race, or the whole final act so far? I have almost no knowledge of the novels, but I did like the way the dinghy race arc came to a close. It injected some bracing danger to the series, gave Ai Hoshimiya a neat little moment of triumph and even a small, subtly decisive moment of characterization for Marika.

I'd have to dig out the novels again to be sure as I haven't looked through them in a while. (they're in storage, along with all my other books as we're moving] I'm almost positive it was the race arc. It does get more intense later, what with tension and not, part of the reason why I want the show to get a second season.

EDIT: Pretty sure this arc too is original. Could be wrong about that.

Last edited by Lynx Amali on Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
varmintx

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:38 pm Reply with quote
Kinda figured Eureka 7 AO would suffer the same fate that Last Exile: Fam the Silver Wing did because I'm the exact same way with both. I know they're going to get nice, shiny blu-ray discs down the road and I'm more than happy to wait for them.
Ojamajo LimePie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:43 pm Reply with quote
Current Rankings:
1. Bodacious Space Pirates
2. Smile Precure
3. AKB0048
4. Space Brothers
5. Fate/Zero
6. Kids on the Slope
7. Tsuritama
8. Lupin III
9. Haiyore! Nyarko-san
10. Accel World
11. Hyouka
12. Hunter x Hunter
ShinnFlowen

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:58 pm Reply with quote
I don't agree with all of bamboos opinions, but she definitely has some good tastes this seasons with Dusk Maiden, Kids on the slope, space brothers, and etc.
It's too bad she did not enjoy jormungand, but at least Carl from ANN shed some fair thoughts on the show.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:42 am Reply with quote
The problem with Fate/Zero right now is precisely because they're speeding through the finale. The first half of the show was too slowly paced and they really should have sped that up to flesh out these final confrontations more. I mean, they spent so much time on the fight against Caster, and yet spoiler[Gilgamesh takes out Rider in a few minutes.] Berserker's reveal also fell flat, and not because I knew who he was before hand. There wasn't that much build up for him. He took part in some fights and his fixation on Saber did crop up, but none of the other characters wondered that much about him. Compare that to FSN where Berserker was seen as such a threat they spent half the series worrying about and preparing to fight him.
Merida

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 2:45 am Reply with quote
I don't think they would have made one of Tsuritama's main characters an alien if it was supposed to be all about fishing and friendship (though that's what it is essentially about...just with added aliens...)...i really enjoyed the latest developments, though (the DUCK people are hilarious), so Tsuritama is still my number 1.

2. Kids on the Slope
3. Polar Bear Café
4. Space Brothers
5. Space Pirates
6. other stuff

Zetman seems to go for a hilarious-over-the-top original ending which almost makes me look forward to the last couple of eps. after i'd been close to dropping this show for weeks.

Agreed about Jormungand, it's boring as hell. Mindless violence is well and good but i need to be able to sympathize with the character somehow in order to enjoy a show and this is definitely not happening here...
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 3:31 am Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
The problem with Fate/Zero right now is precisely because they're speeding through the finale. The first half of the show was too slowly paced and they really should have sped that up to flesh out these final confrontations more. I mean, they spent so much time on the fight against Caster, and yet spoiler[Gilgamesh takes out Rider in a few minutes.]

It is my belief that spoiler[the battle with Caster should have been at the end of Season 1, not at the start of Season 2. That would have allowed a couple more episodes in Season 2 so that the pacing is not so rushed, while giving Season 1 with a cool battle to end on rather than an annoying cliffhanger.]

[Not really spoilers but tagged just in case.]
danilo07

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 5:05 am Reply with quote
I think tsuritamas latest episodes are best,all of the character building was just for this finale so my thoughts on the series are going to largely depend on the ending.
Kids on Slope is still great,episode 7 was the best one in my opinion.Although I think upcoming Natsuyuki Rendezvous is going to much better.
Latest episodes of Space Pirates are pretty awesome.I have to admit if there were not for the lesbians in the middle of the show I would have dropped it .
F/Z is one the best action shows I have seen in a while.Much better then its sequel F/Sn.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:33 am Reply with quote
bamboo - I really don't know how you handle these many series without going nuts.

Personally I am only keeping up with 3 anime series this season week by week and two are already over. Is this a zombie of the dead? & Upotte. The last series is MGX which just keeps me intrigued every week, yawn.. also good morning everyone~
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Polycell

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:53 am Reply with quote
Nine out of ten series that I'm following come out on a day I work(my "Friday" being Sunday) and I work the night shift, so it's a real witch to keep up with things; I usually use Sunday and Monday to catch up on the ones I fell behind on, though I tend to watch Polar Bear's Cafe on a "whenever before the next one comes out" schedule. I imagine that Bamboo does something similar, although she probably works a normal schedule.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3