• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: tsuritama Episodes 1-6 Streaming

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rukiia

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 2:37 pm Reply with quote
Yuki is suppose to be bland at first. The whole point of the show was that Yuki spoiler[learned to get out of his shell of being socially awkward/boring and became a better person. And he learned that thanks to Haru, Natsuki, Akira, and fishing.]

Ya, Haru is annoying. But that is the only flaw that I could find in the show. It is not a smash hit of the year but it is still a really really good show and a refreshing taste of something unique compared to all the generic shows that have been coming out. It is a show about growth, friendship, and saving the world through fishing (sounds funny, yes, but that is what I like about the show Anime hyper).

You really need to watch the rest of the show. Hopefully it will change your outlook on it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
supercreep

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 4:26 pm Reply with quote
I could relate to Yuki, and I also loved the anxiety drowning. My problem with his character stems from the cliched way in which it's handled, that is, a character who previously was introverted comes to terms with his feelings in a big, grand, "I'm going to start yelling things really dramatically!" way. But that's a pet peeve of mine. More than anything else, that seems the most shallow. People don't do that. Nobody does that. Well, discounting the hundreds of anime characters that do.

I also thought some of the weirdness was a little too forced. Like Tapioca, for instance,spoiler[ and the DUCK suits -- but I did love how they would dry everyone.] I also could not stand Yuki's grandmother simply because her character is never developed. She's the cool grandma? Got it. Going to let a complete stranger who says he's an alien live with you? I don't get it.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 6:18 pm Reply with quote
Rukiia wrote:
Ya, Haru is annoying.

You really need to watch the rest of the show. Hopefully it will change your outlook on it.

Sorry, but for me Haru is so utterly obnoxious that I could not stand him. He ruined the show for me. Unless he takes a minimum of an axe-blade to the head in later episodes, I will have to refuse to finish the show.

Haru may have been fatal but I also had a problem with Yuki. He just went along with Haru's antics; if I was getting mind-controlled every five minutes and made to do embarrassing things I sure wouldn't put up with a PoS like Haru. The demon faces Yuki made were also off-putting. Kids on the Slope also had panic attacks except did them in a realistic and sympathetic way. Yuki's bizarre faces just did not work for me. They weren't funny, they didn't make me feel sorry for him. I just saw him as a freak who must have mental problems or something (as in, low-IQ mentally impaired) if he goes around making faces like that. There are plenty of other ways to show panic and nervousness than to have the character pretend like he's drowning.
rheiders

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 7:33 pm Reply with quote
@dtm42

The reason Yuki put up with Haru without a fight was because he was such an overly shy pushover at the beginning of the series. He didn't have the self-confidence to speak up. He fights back more later, after he starts to come out of his shell a little bit. I thought that progression was handled very well, actually. And it may not have been the intention, but I thought the demon faces he makes were a pretty good visual shorthand for how shy people like Yuki (and myself back in freshman year Embarassed) sometimes come across as stuck-up, weird, or even a bit slow when we're really just bad at handling social situations. He doesn't actually pretend like he's drowning; that's just an interesting metaphor for how he is feeling, and I can definitely relate to that feeling of "drowning in anxiety".

And I loved Kids on the Slope as well (I also related to Kaoru a lot, especially that whole mailbox sequence, and ended up rating both series as 'Excellent'), but if you ask me it's a bit unfair to compare a high school drama that relies on realism to convey its ideas to a surreal sci-fi comedy that relies heavily on visual metaphors and sight gags. Though since the MCs are similar in several important ways, it would be an interesting comparison to make and discuss. Smile
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 7:45 pm Reply with quote
I enjoyed both Kids on the Slope & Tsuritama but personally I found Tsuritama to be the much stronger series overall.

Also I felt the way Tsuritama dealt with Yuki's social anxiety was more interesting than the way Kids on a Slope dealt with Kaoru. But then again I like how it did it in a more metaphorical sense.

I liked Kids on a Slope for the relationship that develops between Kaoru/Sen but as for pure character development I think Tsuritama has it beat.

Also Kids on a Slope suffers for me a bit because not counting the awesome musical scenes, I preferred the manga overall.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 7:58 pm Reply with quote
The faces weren't metaphorical (I would have preferred that they were), the other kids could actually see him contort his face. That's what got me.

Anyway, as much as I didn't like Yuki's faces, they weren't the reason I couldn't stand the show. Haru seems to be one of those characters that you either really like or you absolutely hate, and I am squarely in the latter camp.
Merida

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:33 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
The faces weren't metaphorical (I would have preferred that they were), the other kids could actually see him contort his face. That's what got me.

I don't think the faces were meant to be 'metaphorical' but rather to show why Yuki couldn't make any friends: people wouldn't approach him because they thought he was scary/weird and he couldn't approach people because he was painfully shy.

dtm42 wrote:
Anyway, as much as I didn't like Yuki's faces, they weren't the reason I couldn't stand the show. Haru seems to be one of those characters that you either really like or you absolutely hate, and I am squarely in the latter camp.

Well, i proably wouldn't want him to move in with me but he was kinda cute to watch from a safe distance Laughing and - most importantly - he pretty much forced Yuki to interact with others.
Gwydion

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 12:02 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Haru may have been fatal but I also had a problem with Yuki. He just went along with Haru's antics; if I was getting mind-controlled every five minutes and made to do embarrassing things I sure wouldn't put up with a PoS like Haru. The demon faces Yuki made were also off-putting. Kids on the Slope also had panic attacks except did them in a realistic and sympathetic way. Yuki's bizarre faces just did not work for me. They weren't funny, they didn't make me feel sorry for him. I just saw him as a freak who must have mental problems or something (as in, low-IQ mentally impaired) if he goes around making faces like that. There are plenty of other ways to show panic and nervousness than to have the character pretend like he's drowning.

On Yuki putting up with Haru - as someone who went through pretty much the exact same situation (note I'm talking the obnoxious, constantly trying to cling to you and just plain being a nuisance bit), I can tell you that being that introverted, it's very difficult to escape such a person. You are physically unable to speak up and tell them off, and, in some ways, you almost wouldn't want to anyway. You think in the back of your head (as Yuki does) "Man, this guy is annoying! Leave me alone!", but at the same time, deep down you are lonely and it's almost worth it to put up with such behavior, even if you can't understand why. Yuki talks briefly about being lonely in episode 8, I believe, which pretty much solidifies this train of thinking.

As far as Yuki's face is concerned, while it's true I didn't have a "demon face" when I got stressed, I was told by several people in high school that back when they met me in middle school they avoided me simply because I appeared to be very arrogant (which thankfully they assured me was absolutely not true once they got to know me, lol). My point is that it was something about the way I looked - that I did unintentionally - that scared them off. Maybe a "demon face" is a goofier way of showing this, but the principal is the same. I personally related much more to this than I did to Kaoru from KotS - I actually found him too over dramatic as the series went on (I think it was episode 6 that had me rolling my eyes the most, if I remember correctly). Just my thoughts.

I'm not trying to convert anyone into liking Tsuritama/Yuki, but having been through a period in my life where I WAS Yuki (everything minus the fishing and aliens), I feel like I should try and explain why he is the way he is so that maybe those that don't get it might be able to recognize his real to life traits in real people and maybe be able to understand them a little better.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:25 am Reply with quote
I meant the faces were metaphorical in the sense they were a symbolic representation of Yuki's anxiety.

Yes the other characters could see them but I am not sure if we would be seeing that face in real life. Social anxiety is usually something more internal that we can't see but it can still effect other people. I liked that the series externalized Yuki's anxiety.
Alexis.Anagram

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 12:23 am Reply with quote
Quote:
an old-fashioned youth drama, hitched it to a campy 50s sci-fi romp and filtered it through the hipster sensibilities of an indie comedy

Easily the most apt description of this show I've heard, ha ha.

I really want to like this show for the animation alone, but the lackluster (if sort of entertaining) lead character coupled with the annoying alien-boy trope and the rather forgettable third wheel that's basically just there to dish out the obligatory angst factor makes that a very difficult task. To me, the show actually seems really formulaic in its characterization and premise (based on the very little I've watched), which is what causes the proposed "absurdity" of its presentation to ring untrue for me. But what really killed it for me was the

Quote:
turbaned MIB organization run out of a curry shop

That whole plot bit left me feeling so uncomfortable. Of course, the only brown characters in the show have to be walking stereotypes. I suppose that would be totally in keeping with the internalized "hipster sensibilities" of the premise, though, wouldn't it? I've heard Akira becomes a really loved character at later points in the series, and kudos to that if it's true, but there's no real excuse for that fairly disparaging cultural depiction (or, rather, misrepresentation).

This show makes me sad because, at least visually, it has a lot that I like; I even suspect its overarching narrative might be enjoyable if it hadn't lost me on the details (and that big helping of race fail) so early in. :/
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 4:53 pm Reply with quote
Since content and characters are almost always with issues in any anime, I have no other option than to strongly recommend this show for purely artistic reasons.

Such recommendation does not mean that anime fans have to watch whole series, but at least few episodes should be seen just not to miss the visual style.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2