• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: K-ON! Season 2 Blu-Ray Collection 1

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 7:55 pm Reply with quote
Because real life is even more boring unless it has a set story to follow. Otherwise you'd literally be watching these girls sit in class for 50 minutes, taking notes and answering questions.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 7:59 pm Reply with quote
I consider this the artistic low point Of Japanese animation. It is the worst sort of pandering garbage that should never have left pixiv.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:30 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:

My point is the complete and utter lack of conflict. Stories need conflict. SOL shows tend to be mind-crushingly boring because they don't even have conflict. There's no conflict between the main cast, they never have any problems, it's just a solid horrendously boring stream of sickening and cloying optimism.

And yet somehow people still enjoy them. Amazing.

You may want to consider that just because Chagen doesn't enjoy something doesn't mean that it sucks.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:31 pm Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:
I consider this the artistic low point Of Japanese animation. It is the worst sort of pandering garbage that should never have left pixiv.

...what does Pixiv have to do with anything?
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:47 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
Beatdigga wrote:

...what does Pixiv have to do with anything?

Because it's about as disposable as a cutesy piece of amateur art, shows something cute or vaguely sexy, and it dismissed just as quickly. That didn't need a show.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:08 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
Chagen46 wrote:

My point is the complete and utter lack of conflict. Stories need conflict. SOL shows tend to be mind-crushingly boring because they don't even have conflict. There's no conflict between the main cast, they never have any problems, it's just a solid horrendously boring stream of sickening and cloying optimism.

And yet somehow people still enjoy them. Amazing.

You may want to consider that just because Chagen doesn't enjoy something doesn't mean that it sucks.

Alright, which one of you is Balki and which is Larry?
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:09 pm Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:

Because it's about as disposable as a cutesy piece of amateur art, shows something cute or vaguely sexy, and it dismissed just as quickly. That didn't need a show.

...right, that makes almost no sense, you realize?
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:22 pm Reply with quote
drale wrote:

My other question is more just musing on the K-On movie (which was just released on DVD here in Japan). How do they plan on dubbing something that is already 25%-ish english speaking dialogue with about 80% of the jokes (in the middle section anyways) involving their inability to speak english? I guess I just wonder at how this was localized. Maybe I will import it when it comes out over there.

I'd imagine Yui and the gang will speak in stereotypical bad British accents, maybe?
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:39 pm Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:
I'd imagine Yui and the gang will speak in stereotypical bad British accents, maybe?

The movie does that enough as it is. Maybe make them speak Spanish? Dubs have done that before.
jr240483

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:13 pm Reply with quote
pachy_boy wrote:
Wow. Now this was one hell of a well-deserved review for K-On, covering everything there is to possibly cover that even I think makes it so good for what it is. I still disagree about the dub (which was technically a Bang Zoom! production, not Sentai), which I think is exeptionally excellent. Especially for a series that is very Japanese in its setting and characters, they made the characters sound very natural and alive in English.

Yui jamming on the guitar within the first few mintues of the first episode. Could anyone think of a more perfect way to start the new season of K-On?

What I'd also like to add is that if one didn't know, one would never have assumed that this show was based on a 4-koma series. As much as I still love Azumanga Diaoh, it still feels obvious due to its pacing and repetitiveness. But with K-On, they manage to pace it out like a normal-length series, adding in story elements original to the anime, while succeeding in making everything feel natural and alive.

K-On may be a fluff series, but it's a fluff series done well, and I'm very much enjoying the sweet trip in these girls' lives.

I was wondering about that. The way he was describing the english dub, I thought Sentai used different VA instead of the Bang Zoom VA that was brought by Bandai,or worse.They did a Hell Girl and give it a sub only release. I WOULD HAVE BEEN SERIOUSLY PISSED IF ANY OF THE TWO ACTUALLY HAPPENED!!!

Since It's the same cast from season 1, I'm sure the eng dub for season 2 is ok as well. I'll just have to see when i get it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:44 pm Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:
pachy_boy wrote:
Wow. Now this was one hell of a well-deserved review for K-On, covering everything there is to possibly cover that even I think makes it so good for what it is. I still disagree about the dub (which was technically a Bang Zoom! production, not Sentai), which I think is exeptionally excellent. Especially for a series that is very Japanese in its setting and characters, they made the characters sound very natural and alive in English.

Yui jamming on the guitar within the first few mintues of the first episode. Could anyone think of a more perfect way to start the new season of K-On?

What I'd also like to add is that if one didn't know, one would never have assumed that this show was based on a 4-koma series. As much as I still love Azumanga Diaoh, it still feels obvious due to its pacing and repetitiveness. But with K-On, they manage to pace it out like a normal-length series, adding in story elements original to the anime, while succeeding in making everything feel natural and alive.

K-On may be a fluff series, but it's a fluff series done well, and I'm very much enjoying the sweet trip in these girls' lives.

I was wondering about that. The way he was describing the english dub, I thought Sentai used different VA instead of the Bang Zoom VA that was brought by Bandai,or worse.They did a Hell Girl and give it a sub only release. I WOULD HAVE BEEN SERIOUSLY PISSED IF ANY OF THE TWO ACTUALLY HAPPENED!!!

Since It's the same cast from season 1, I'm sure the eng dub for season 2 is ok as well. I'll just have to see when i get it.

The dub is identical to season one and uses all the same VAs. I actually wasn't a fan of it at first and was actually pretty disappointed. However, it eventually grew on me and I'm able to enjoy it now.
superdry

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:12 am Reply with quote
Quote:

Indeed it is. You can say a lot of unflattering things about K-ON!!, that it's a puff of sugared air with an impossibly sunny take on school life being probably the main one, but you can't say you didn't enjoy yourself watching it. It's the ultimate in anime comfort food; a perfectly effortless slice of entertainment that never fails to sweeten your day.

Good review and the first paragraph pretty much sums it up succinctly.

For the people who really hate and despise this show for some reason, do they not like cute and fluffy things? The really strong reactions always confused me because its one of the most unoffensive shows you can watch.

Chagen46 wrote:

Why do Slice-of-Life shows never show any kind of REAL life? You know, the one where you actually have problems and things aren't just sunshine and roses?

At least with K-On the show focuses mainly on the girls in the club room afterschool or on a day off they can get together. A slice of life show doesn't and shouldn't focus on every hour of the day or on boring things.

I know during my high school years, spending time with friends after school was pretty fun and silly - no conflicts of sorts.
SquadmemberRitsu

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 3:09 am Reply with quote
Mesonoxian Eve wrote:

I've no question this review covered what I would expect from season 2, but I'm going to need a large doses of "moe insulin" before I watch even a single episode of this season.

Anyone have any leads where I can buy some?

Trust me, season 2 is way better. You won't need any of that stuff.
SquadmemberRitsu

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 3:12 am Reply with quote
Narutards need to learn what a good escapist anime is. But they're too busy watching their poorly animated excuse of a shonen cliche when they could be watching something much better made and a whole lot more fun
tangytangerine

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 5:15 am Reply with quote
Looks like from the review that I should skip this. Strangely, I enjoyed the manga version. But tried watching season 1 of the anime and just could not get into the show and dropped it after volume 1's release.

I don't know if it's the pacing of the show or what, but I had trouble just sitting through volume 1. I know I can sit and watch these types of shows, because I had no problem with Seitokai no Ichizon's approach to the formula. It seems like it's like Lucky Star, where some people love it and some wonder how the heck it got a release here because they don't find it interesting.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4