• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2009-04-03]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Top Gun

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 1:12 am Reply with quote
Anyone else feel like lobbing rotten tomatoes at the first Answerfan for his uncalled-for digs at One Piece, especially considering the quality of some of the other titles he professes to like? No? Just me? All right, then. Razz

I'm still not even sure what I feel about the new FMA series; if anything, I don't have much emotion towards it either way. I thought the original series was a masterpiece yet have never really had any desire at all to read the manga, so I certainly don't see the remake as "necessary." And a part of me can't help but feel like putting together a new series so soon devalues my fandom of the original to some degree, particularly when I think of the inevitable back-and-forth arguments that are going to take place between fans of both works once these first few episodes start coming out. At the same time, though, I'm not actively against the concept of the new series, and I'm sure that those who are big fans of the manga are very excited about getting to see those aspects of the story in animated form, even if the thought doesn't do much for me. And if I were BONES and sitting on that sort of cash cow, I'd probably do my best to keep milking it, too.

In a broader sense, I'm not really a fan of remakes in general, whether you're talking about Hollywood or anime, unless the original work left massive room for improvement, or the new version can bring something truly fresh to the table. (I view Ocean's Eleven as an excellent example of the latter.) Otherwise, the concept generally comes across as stuffing one's hand into a guaranteed money bag at the expense of any sort of creativity; I'd put most recent Hollywood remakes squarely in this category. As far as anime examples go, I'm a massive fan of Gurren-Lagann, yet I don't really see any point at all to the theatrical version; likewise, Eureka seveN is one of my flat-out favorite series, but I'm not sold at all on this "alternate-reality movie" that's on its way. And while my feelings on Evangelion could more accurately be described as "complicated," I don't really know what Anno hopes to achieve by revisiting some of the same concepts yet again. In all of these cases, I feel like the original work said all that really needed to be said, and unless the new version comes across as absolutely mind-blowing, I won't have all that much enthusiasm for it.

Last edited by Top Gun on Fri Apr 03, 2009 1:14 am; edited 1 time in total
Greed1914

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 1:13 am Reply with quote
I have to agree that one of my biggest issues with remaking recent shows is that creativity would be limited, especially if it is being done to stick closer to the manga.

I'm not excited about FMA at all, because the show was fantastic the first time and I'm not really comfortable with the idea of my personal favorite being changed. And as was pointed out already, the show was different because Ararakawa wanted it to do something else while she worked on her's, which is something I always point out to people I talk to about it. Especially since some people incorrectly call the second season "filler." Filler of that length would imply that the show was biding it's time until they had more manga to follow, like Bleach has done. However, when the creator specifically asks that the series do its own thing and make its own story, then it isn't filler.

On the other hand, the remake of Hellsing has been lights out. The big difference to me is that FMA differed and was great, while Hellsing didn't fair so well when it stopped following the manga.

But in the end, it's hard to progress if we keep dwelling on previous works.

Last edited by Greed1914 on Fri Apr 03, 2009 1:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
Zalis116

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 1:45 am Reply with quote
The question on Toradora confused me -- in last week's column, where did Brian ever say that he watched it legally? It seems like the questioner was aiming for a "gotcha" moment based on hypocrisy that was more perceived than real.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 1:47 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:

I wouldn't mind a remake of Tenchi Muyo's third OVA. A complete one, without Noike, Tennyo, or Airi. One with Tenchi's mother not being crazy. God, what was Kajishima thinking?
I wouldn't mind if he just finished the OVA altogether. It would seem Kajishima has given up on it and has moved on. Now one series that doesn't need a remake but more a continuation is Spiral. It ended very abruptly like it was in the middle of its story, they just ran out of money, and just stopped. Another would be Elfen Lied because of the same reason. One movie that needs a remake is Blood, The Last Vampire . That movie needs its other 45 minutes glued on it.

Last edited by Mohawk52 on Fri Apr 03, 2009 2:12 am; edited 1 time in total
joystick1101

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 1:50 am Reply with quote
I'm surprised no one said this but Berserk if any series deserves a remake. Or atleast a continuation or remastered visuals. Too much animation was just a still picture with the camera moving around and face it ended in such a bad spot. Forgive me O powerful anime gods for this comparison but it would like if Naruto ended before right before ( spoiler[ the SasukeXNaruto fight was even over, hell even started ]) One of the best stories but animation could've been better and ending was awful.

Shows tat I wish had coninuations are such as Fruits Basket( c'mon they didn't even get to two of the zodiacs), Inuyasha( spoiler[ How can u end be4 killin' the frikin' bad guy])
fighterholic

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 1:54 am Reply with quote
joystick1101 wrote:
I'm surprised no one said this but Berserk if any series deserves a remake. Or atleast a continuation or remastered visuals. Too much animation was just a still picture with the camera moving around and face it ended in such a bad spot. Forgive me O powerful anime gods for this comparison but it would like if Naruto ended before right before ( spoiler[ the SasukeXNaruto fight was even over, hell even started ]) One of the best stories but animation could've been better and ending was awful.

Shows tat I wish had coninuations are such as Fruits Basket( c'mon they didn't even get to two of the zodiacs), Inuyasha( spoiler[ How can u end be4 killin' the frikin' bad guy])

I'm with you on Berserk. They can actually get around the ending of the last episode in the first season by just changing some details, because how Guts gets to where he is at the end wasn't explained at all. If they were to have a second season, all they would have to do is start from spoiler[the Eclipse and bring in the Skull Knight and everything else about the Eclipse] that makes it what it is in the manga. If they were to make another Fruits Basket, I'd rather they do it over, and just change parts that didn't figure into the manga that were original to the anime.
Ai no Kareshi

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 2:47 am Reply with quote
Don't listen to 4chan, Brian. I think you're a great Answerman! Sure, you had a bit of a stuff-up with Toradora! recently, but you showed us that you've learned your lesson.

I haven't watched Fullmetal Alchemist, but I don't think doing a remake for such a recent series is a good thing. Like penguintruth said, I think this is just a cash-in on a popular franchise, and it also means that we're getting less new stuff. Sad
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 3:40 am Reply with quote
Sorry to bother you guys, but I just wanted to know, how exactly do you write to Answerman? Is there an e-mail? I've never tried writing to him before, so I have no clue.
LordRedhand

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 3:48 am Reply with quote
Quote:
What I'd like, though, is for fansubbers to stop subbing shows after a certain number of episodes. By just subbing the entire thing and tossing it out there for everyone, there's no more incentive for those die-hard fans to actually buy or legitimately watch the rest of the show, which then causes that enthusiasm to wane significantly. Once the show has run its course, those up-to-the-minute fansub-watchers have moved on to the Next Show They Love and something like Toradora! drops off the map.

That is pretty much what I've been saying recently (no not my first posts but definitely my current ones and other discussions.)

For me that certain number is 5, mostly what you'd find in one volume of anime. For me that sounds reasonable, as by then you can feel fairly confident that you'll like the show or not (and before I here Gonzo, remember they are on Crunchy Roll and Youtube by Funimation, so you can confidently watch the whole thing to see if it is to your taste or not. And more legal streaming and downloads are a yay! from me for those who must absolutely have to see it before they buy it.)

But pretty much the idea of "It will never come out here" gets proven wrong more often and for other area is like a self-fulfilling prophecy.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 3:57 am Reply with quote
Your thoughts on fansubbing are wishful thinking. There are just too many anime shows that will never see the light of day legally in the West.

Yes things have changed for the better, but they haven't changed that much. Several failed Hollywood movies, a dying TV landscape, and a bad economy are only making things worse for the commercial side of things. This will only increase demand, which will make fansubbing even more popular.

I already know all the arguments that the anti-fansubbers will use, but the bottom line is that I will continue to watch fansubs of unlicensed shows, because for the most part they will not show up here.

Personally, I am not happy about the move to Internet only content. I have a massive Laserdisc, VHS, and DVD library, and that is how I like my anime. Though I understand what is driving this move, and how others will see this as making the best of a bad situation.

I really don't see how not watching a Toradora fansub will make any difference, other than denying you the chance to watch a fabulous show. Where is the second season of Shana? Nowhere. As more time passes, the chances of a domestic release of the second season becomes ever more faraway.

I gave up on the Japanese a long time ago, when it comes to domestic releases. While the boom was nice and a great upswing, it still didn't solve all the problems or significantly reduce the need for fansubs.

If you have a choice of watching a show, or not being able to watch it, possibly ever; which choice would you make.

While the dream of 'no need for fansubs' is a nice ideal, we are still far from it.
Ai no Kareshi

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 3:59 am Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
Sorry to bother you guys, but I just wanted to know, how exactly do you write to Answerman? Is there an e-mail? I've never tried writing to him before, so I have no clue.

This is written at the end of each article:

Answerman wrote:
Start writing those answers and email them to answerman [at] animenewsnetwork dot com.

I presume questions go to the same address.
LordRedhand

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 4:12 am Reply with quote
Quote:
If you have a choice of watching a show, or not being able to watch it, possibly ever; which choice would you make.

To answer your question for me it's a no and let me explain

If an anime series is released in Japan but I do not know about it/do not see it does it have an effect on my life? Probably not, it's entertainment, and for me I'd rather focus on what I can get here now as opposed to what is in Japan now.

Now those that mean that I don't want them to come out over here in a legal way? No, I'm all for legal streaming, downloads, DVDs, simul-casts. Because I know they help.

Now for example take a series that has been released in Japan but not here that would appeal to me. Detective Conan meets Lupin the 3rd. If push comes to shove I will buy the R2 release, why? Because I do not need to be sold on the concept because I like Case Closed and I like Lupin the 3rd, so I can feel fairly confident that I will like that release, but I can wait, I've got other series that I can watch that I can bide my time with and would enjoy (like what I just ordered recently)

I'd assume the same thing with you and Shana 2, that you don't need to be sold on it.

Last edited by LordRedhand on Fri Apr 03, 2009 4:14 am; edited 1 time in total
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 4:13 am Reply with quote
As far as deserving remakes go, and I know this series' nomination for such a thing has been done nearly countless times already, I'll vote for a complete run of Fruits Basket every time.

What BONES is doing, following Ms. Arakawa's manga so close and animating it so lovingly? That's exactly the sort of treatment/revival I've always believed furuba deserves. And, with a little luck, will someday receive (I simply won't allow it any other way). Smile
Amaya no Hime

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 4:21 am Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
Anyone else feel like lobbing rotten tomatoes at the first Answerfan for his uncalled-for digs at One Piece, especially considering the quality of some of the other titles he professes to like? No? Just me? All right, then. Razz

I read his opinion on One Piece and immediately went to the next answer because I knew there was be no way I'd agree with what he had to say.

Berserk and Fruits Basket don't need remakes, they need sequels. Other than the endings, they were both very faithful to the manga.
la_contessa

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 5:42 am Reply with quote
the only big manga anthologies that we have here in the US are Shonen Jump and Shoujo Beat

Anyone know the readership of Yen Plus? It's not necessarily relevant to the specific question here (as it includes several genres and countries of origin, it's not likely to be a good example of Japanese categorization), but I'm curious.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7